Venice to Athens

peasmith

Hi we are doing this cruise on the 28th October and it will be our first Viking ocean cruise and really looking forward to it. Can anyone who has done this trip (not the extended 10 day one) tell me whether (apart from Venice of course) Viking put on free shuttle buses to take people into town i.e. Corfu. I believe that most of the other ports of call i.e. Split, Dubrovnik, Montenegro and Katakolon are all within easy walking distance of the ship.

On our similar cruise there were shuttle busses in Corfu (we did the included tour which drops you off in Corfu town - then got the shuttle back to the ship at our leisure). There were shuttles in Dubrovnik from the dock area again we did the included and 'shuttled' back. Sometimes cruise ships are at anchor just by the town with a tender service but I am not sure if Viking ever do this. In Split and Kotor within walking distance. In Katokolon we were tendered. There is a docking area outside the town and I am sure Viking would put on a shuttle. We did the included tour to Olympia and then strolled around the town.

Other than Piraeus & Venice, the only port I have visited previously is Dubrovnik. I have both anchored and also gone alongside in Dubrovnik. If alongside, it is a good walk into town - about 2 miles. As the previous poster mentioned, cruise lines provide shuttle buses from the berth to the Tourist Information Centre.

If anchoring, the tenders normally take you into the Old Town harbour, where everything is within walking distance.

Piraeus is actually the port for Athens, which is about 6 miles from the centre of Athens.

Is your cruise the one leaving Venice 01 November?

Ok, if you are mobile (not using mobility aids), Corfu is most definitely walkable (hope they've repair the pavements though; last visit there the pavements (sidewalks) needed attention. However, in Corfu, beware the very long walk from the ship to terra firma.

Dubrovnik - I probably wouldn't recommend this for walking from ship to the town as I think there is a very steep and long hill between the two. It's about 4km each way, so our plan is to do the included walking tour of Dubrovnik and see just how the land lies, then because the ship is due to be in port until late evening we'll have worked out a nice running route and spend the afternoon having a run or get out and about for 'off-piste' photography on our own.

If going to the town in Dubrovnik doesn't appeal, there's a lovely little coastal village a short drive away called Cavtat. On the drive there you can stop at some lovely cliff top parking areas and take photos, but you'll probably have to get a taxi for that.

Which ship are you on? Have a great time. You never know, maybe we'll be on the same cruise!

Hi thanks for all the helpful replies.

We are on the Viking Sky leaving Heathrow on the 28th October.

I do have a slight mobility problem but do not have to use wheelchairs or sticks. I do love to walk though but can't go as far nowadays. I think we will get the shuttle buses where they are put on and just wander around and also do the trips and the shuttle back.

Just hope the weather is kind to us and no rough seas - recently came back from Ukraine and had torrential downpours and not the best of weather.

Edited by peasmith
formatting

Hi thanks for all the helpful replies.

We are on the Viking Sky leaving Heathrow on the 28th October.

I do have a slight mobility problem but do not have to use wheelchairs or sticks. I do love to walk though but can't go as far nowadays. I think we will get the shuttle buses where they are put on and just wander around and also do the trips and the shuttle back.

Just hope the weather is kind to us and no rough seas - recently came back from Ukraine and had torrential downpours and not the best of weather.

In Dubrovnik, I would consider walking the wall around the old city. Did it on our last cruise and DW is not overly mobile, but she survived without issues. Few steps up to the wall and various inclines/descents along the route, but the views are definitely worth the effort. Lots of nice cafes for lunch and refreshments after the walk.

In Dubrovnik, I would consider walking the wall around the old city. Did it on our last cruise and DW is not overly mobile, but she survived without issues. Few steps up to the wall and various inclines/descents along the route, but the views are definitely worth the effort. Lots of nice cafes for lunch and refreshments after the walk.

I do agree that walking the walls in Dubrovnik was spectacular, and it's worth considerable effort to see it. I would want to be clear that the effort is considerable, as there are over 1000 stone stairs involved in completing the circuit.

I would say I am pretty mobile, but the up and down of those uneven stone steps wore me out. There are two entrance stairways to get to the top, and I came back down when we reached the midway point. But that view was unforgettable !

I do agree that walking the walls in Dubrovnik was spectacular, and it's worth considerable effort to see it. I would want to be clear that the effort is considerable, as there are over 1000 stone stairs involved in completing the circuit.

I would say I am pretty mobile, but the up and down of those uneven stone steps wore me out. There are two entrance stairways to get to the top, and I came back down when we reached the midway point. But that view was unforgettable !

We entered at the Pile Gate, which was the highest part of the wall at about 50 to 60'. It was a narrow and steep set of stairs up to the top of the wall. DW stopped 1/2 way up the stairs for a quick breather. Agreed, their are about 1,000 steps or stairs, but they are mostly in small groups and we took many stops at various benches.

DW isn't very mobile, but she was able to complete the entire wall, all be it very slowly, which helped to enjoy the scenery.

We entered at the Pile Gate, which was the highest part of the wall at about 50 to 60'. It was a narrow and steep set of stairs up to the top of the wall. DW stopped 1/2 way up the stairs for a quick breather. Agreed, their are about 1,000 steps or stairs, but they are mostly in small groups and we took many stops at various benches.

DW isn't very mobile, but she was able to complete the entire wall, all be it very slowly, which helped to enjoy the scenery.

I happen to be on the short side, with short legs, and perhaps that made the steps harder for me than it would be for others. My husband finished the route, and told me afterwards that the part we did together was the hard part, and the rest was easier! Either way, I was glad that I went, and then we finished with a nice lunch with some Croatian wine and sausage. It was one of my favorite ports on the cruise.

We've opted to get out of town and explore the countryside (and the small charming port of Cavtat nearby) previously. So, we haven't done the old town of Dubrovnik itself.

Somehow I get the impression that the walls themselves are relatively narrow on top - obiously (hopefully) there is a small wall about hip-high on the seaward side of the wall, but is there anything such as a handrail on the landward side of it? I've got no problems at all with walking (it's quite hilly where we live) or steps and hills, but I personally don't like what I term 'narrow walkways and ledges'.

There's plenty of up and down walking to be had in Venice if you walk from the ship to (for instance) Monumento (especially if you include the Rialto Bridge) it's a good 'warm up' for the excursions.

We're not on your cruise, we sail out a couple of days later, but it sounds pretty much the same itinerary.

Have a wonderful time.

Thank you all once again for your helpful hints and experiences. I am also very short with stumpy legs but if I am going to do something I am determined even if it half kills me - I can always have a rub down in the snow grotto! We have just come back from the Ukraine cruise with Viking and I was determined to do the Potemkin steps in Odessa which I did a couple of times but coming down was a killer on the knees (the first time we took the cable car down). The reason we chose this itinerary in the first place is that prior to our new found venture of river cruising we had done numerous ocean cruises but never to Venice, Dubrovnik, Montenegro and Katakolon (been to Split for a three day break with my sister last year and also Athens many years ago). Unfortunately we do not have any time in Athens as we fly directly back to Heathrow on the arrival day but very much looking forward to exploring these places and also exploring the ship and not being confined to a 7pm dinner regime and only in one venue as on the river boats!

If you look on Google Maps and use the "little yellow Man" feature when you zoom in close you will see lots and lots of photos from all around the walls in Dubrovnik. Personally I would say that they are not that challenging and anybody who is reasonably mobile would be able to walk around at least a portion of the wall. You can get boat tours from the harbour around the islands or to visit Cavtat depending on the time you have available.

We've opted to get out of town and explore the countryside (and the small charming port of Cavtat nearby) previously. So, we haven't done the old town of Dubrovnik itself.

Somehow I get the impression that the walls themselves are relatively narrow on top - obiously (hopefully) there is a small wall about hip-high on the seaward side of the wall, but is there anything such as a handrail on the landward side of it? I've got no problems at all with walking (it's quite hilly where we live) or steps and hills, but I personally don't like what I term 'narrow walkways and ledges'.

There's plenty of up and down walking to be had in Venice if you walk from the ship to (for instance) Monumento (especially if you include the Rialto Bridge) it's a good 'warm up' for the excursions.

We're not on your cruise, we sail out a couple of days later, but it sounds pretty much the same itinerary.

Have a wonderful time.

At the top of the wall, some areas narrow to single file, but most are at least 2 people wide or more. Don't recall handrails, but they have walls at least waist height for safety.

DW walks with hiking sticks and she had no problem.

Sorry what cruise date do you depart? - both Viking Sky and Viking Sun are in Split on the 30th according to one cruise calendar site although another says one is the 29th and we are the 30th? For some reason I thought you were on the Sun around about that date?

Sadly, no, we’re on Viking Sun, not Viking Sky. We’ve enjoyed the Baths of Diocletian, and now we’re off to Diocletian’s Palace in Split. Looking forward, can’t wait!

• 2 weeks later...

We did this itinerary the other way around. We chose to do the excursion that took you by a smaller boat around the coastline and come into Dubrovnik harbour. I’m glad we did as we didn’t actually enjoy Dubrovnik itself. Too crowded. The boat trip there and back was the best part of the tour. 

• 3 weeks later...