Elegant night

robindina

Haven't seen it mentioned here, but I feel like the dress code is more strictly enforced on longer cruises, and during certain times of the year, such as around Thanksgiving, Christmas, and the New Year. So if you are going on a short cruise, less than 5 nights, and you aren't cruising during the holiday, it should be fine.

On one cruise, I saw a grown man in gym shorts, a t shirt, and sports sandals in the dining room during formal night. No one said anything, and I was honestly shocked. I wouldn't even notice someone in nice jeans and a button up shirt, they would blend in just fine. Gym shorts and sandals, on the other hand, were completely out of place and that man stood out in a horrible way.

Ok so I have scene many posts about this night, but according to the website Jeans are not allowed. My hubby when we go out wears nice jeans and a sport coat, will we able to go to the dining room on elegant night or do we need to buy him slacks?

No problem.

Polo shirts are collared with a front placket of approximately 3 buttons and made of a knitted material.

From the dictionary: po·lo shirt

ˈpōlō ˌSHərt/

noun

• a casual short-sleeved cotton shirt with a collar and several buttons at the neck.

I assume that you were thinking of a henley (which is more casual without a collar), which I agree would be much less appropriate on elegant night.

But you think jeans ARE appropriate on elegant night?

Haven't seen it mentioned here, but I feel like the dress code is more strictly enforced on longer cruises, and during certain times of the year, such as around Thanksgiving, Christmas, and the New Year. So if you are going on a short cruise, less than 5 nights, and you aren't cruising during the holiday, it should be fine.

On one cruise, I saw a grown man in gym shorts, a t shirt, and sports sandals in the dining room during formal night. No one said anything, and I was honestly shocked. I wouldn't even notice someone in nice jeans and a button up shirt, they would blend in just fine. Gym shorts and sandals, on the other hand, were completely out of place and that man stood out in a horrible way.

This reminded me of my last cruise on NCL Getaway. Granted, NCL is much more relaxed and casual, but MANY men were in dining room in the gym type shorts. As casual as we have become (hubby never dressier than khakis and a polo), we would NEVER think to go THAT casual! 😱

el·e·gant

ˈeləɡənt/

adjective

• pleasingly graceful and stylish in appearance or manner.
    "she will look elegant in black"
    synonyms:stylish, graceful, tasteful, sophisticated, classic, chic, smart, fashionable, modish;

• JEANS ---- I guess people will push to see how far they can get-a-way by not following rules. Someone is always breaking the rules. And if confronted they get an attitude.
  • The ole saying goes..... Always 1 bad apple.