Uniworld Cabin Size-River Baroness

Joanandjoe

We're considering a cruise on the newly refurbished Uniworld River Baroness (formerly known as the Queen of Holland). The prices and itineraries are great, but we're concerned about the cabins. Some river ships have cabins as small as 100 square feet, or about 1/2 the size of the smallest cabin we've ever been in. We use our cabins a lot, and would feel claustophobic in anything smaller than the 140-150 square feet range. (Our Noordam cruise in November will be in a 500+ square feet suite with a balcony.)

Has anyone taken this ship, or its Uniworld sister ships? If so, how big were the cabins? How was the food? Was smoking a problem for nonsmokers, as it is on many European ships? Your comments would be appreciated.

There is no smoking inside the ship on Uniworld. You can smoke outside and on our cruise on Uniworld some of the crew would smoke outside in the passenger area, which kind of looked unprofessional.

We have taken three Uniworld cruises.In all honesty, you spend very little time in your cabin. The scenery going by is better seen and appreciated from the sun deck or the large lounge windows. These are small ships with no more than 120 passengers. Coffee and tea are always available at all times. The cabins are small, but the ship is also small---no wide passageways. Also hard to get lost. There are many companies and everyone finds the one they like best. Good luck. River cruising is wonderful.

Our cabin on the River Duchess last year was small compared to suites or even mini-suites on a cruise ship. We had a queen bed, ample closet and drawer space, and a decent size bath room. We also had 2 chairs by the picture window. But, there wasn't a whole lot of room to walk around.

That said, we didn't spend hardly any time in our cabin (except to sleep) as we were always on deck or in the lounge watching the spectacular scenery and interesting river traffic go by. Smoking was outside only in certain areas.

It was a whole new experience after many ocean cruises, and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

Regards,

captgeo

The cabins on the baroness are not as big as on the Duchess the Baroness is a refurbished ship and not nearly as new as the duchess , however it looks very nice on the inside but the cabins are about 100 sq ft or less.

With regards ,

River Rat

Uniworld says that the cabins are 130 square feet, or about the size of the smallest bedroom in our house (13 X 10). Sort of like trying to fit a bathroom into the small bedroom--tight but liveable. River rat says they're even smaller than 130. We'll have to think hard about this, but not for long (or all of the cabins will be gone).

Thanks for all the prompt replies.

I have worked on that ship as a hotel manager for a while and i know the cabins are not 130 feet ..... i would recommend a ship like the duchess or the emppress where you have 155 sq feet cabins , but thats just a recommendation as i said.

Greetings

It’s true that you don’t spend much time in your room on a river cruise. Each day there is normally a morning and afternoon excursion and the evening meal lasts around 2 hrs. Not much time to be in your room. I would only use room size as a criterion if I had a choice between two ships. Price and itinerary should be your main concerns.

Uniworlds new 'Grand Value Cruising' has optional excusions at extra cost. On most river cruises all excusions are included. The 'Dutch Dreams' and 'Rhine and Moselle Classic' have fantabulous introduction pricing (web site) but you may want to find out the coust of the optional tours.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all of the info on the River Baroness...We are booked on the April 14 2006 tour....the grand value one with far fewer included excursions. One of the things that I have found from cruising is that in most "civilized" regions, you get far more bang for your buck if you do it yourself.We paid less than half of the cruise line prices in St Petersberg and Berlin and had custom small group tours.:D

Thanks also for the room info. Small yes, but you're only sleeping. It's a little boat. On a big boat, I want BIG space! This is probably my reaction to traveling in the 2000+ passenger catagory.

I can't wait

deb

• 1 year later...
We're considering a cruise on the newly refurbished Uniworld River Baroness (formerly known as the Queen of Holland). The prices and itineraries are great, but we're concerned about the cabins. Some river ships have cabins as small as 100 square feet, or about 1/2 the size of the smallest cabin we've ever been in. We use our cabins a lot, and would feel claustophobic in anything smaller than the 140-150 square feet range. (Our Noordam cruise in November will be in a 500+ square feet suite with a balcony.)

Has anyone taken this ship, or its Uniworld sister ships? If so, how big were the cabins? How was the food? Was smoking a problem for nonsmokers, as it is on many European ships? Your comments would be appreciated.

I have just recently taken the River Baroness along the River Seine and just enjoyed it. Everything was perfect, in my opinion. The cabins are not the size of a big cruise ship but we're intirely comfortable.

There is a lot of room under the beds to store your luggage and also have a good size closet.

The rooms are "128 sq. ft." The staff we're just magnificent. We we're really pampered.

Archived