test from very unhappy user

boblerm

Hi Bob,

I'm so glad your cruise ended before Cruise Critic mucked up the boards.

I believe they said Tapatalk wouldn't be working any more. Supposedly you will find it easier to use mobile devices with the new site. I hope your frustration will soon be a distant memory. Mine (as just a reader and poster) hasn't gotten any better, but I haven't given up (yet).

Thank you again for taking us along on your wonderful vacation.

--May B Muriel

9 hours ago, May B said:

Hi Bob,

I'm so glad your cruise ended before Cruise Critic mucked up the boards.

I believe they said Tapatalk wouldn't be working any more. Supposedly you will find it easier to use mobile devices with the new site. I hope your frustration will soon be a distant memory. Mine (as just a reader and poster) hasn't gotten any better, but I haven't given up (yet).

Thank you again for taking us along on your wonderful vacation.

--May B Muriel

Hi May B, fancy meeting you here!

So I am happy to say that the pics from previous trip reports are now back.

Also, I have been working with the new mobile access site, and I have kind of changed my mind since my initial expression of frustration, I am no longer a "very unhappy user".

I started a thread on the Regent board, detailing some of things that I picked up by playing around with the new and contrasting it with the old ,specifically Tapatalk.  The bottom line is that as an Android user, the new is far better.  For iPhone/iPad users, it is a mixed bag.

You can see it here, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2596458-for-those-who-miss-the-app/

Bob

13 hours ago, boblerm said:

Hi May B, fancy meeting you here!

So I am happy to say that the pics from previous trip reports are now back.

Also, I have been working with the new mobile access site, and I have kind of changed my mind since my initial expression of frustration, I am no longer a "very unhappy user".

I started a thread on the Regent board, detailing some of things that I picked up by playing around with the new and contrasting it with the old ,specifically Tapatalk.  The bottom line is that as an Android user, the new is far better.  For iPhone/iPad users, it is a mixed bag.

You can see it here, I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2596458-for-those-who-miss-the-app/

Bob

Bob, I'll go over there right now. I'm glad to hear you have it figured out. I almost never use my iPad for Cruise Critic, and barely ever with Tapatalk. I sit at my desktop and am happy (well, except not so much now with the new business, but either I'll work it out or I'll spend less time here; either would be fine.

Even though I may never cruise with Regent, I'll certainly be delighted to join you again when YOU take me there!

--MBM

10 hours ago, May B said:

Bob, I'll go over there right now. I'm glad to hear you have it figured out. I almost never use my iPad for Cruise Critic, and barely ever with Tapatalk. I sit at my desktop and am happy (well, except not so much now with the new business, but either I'll work it out or I'll spend less time here; either would be fine.

Even though I may never cruise with Regent, I'll certainly be delighted to join you again when YOU take me there!

--MBM

MBM, I surely hope that you do not choose to spend less time on Cruise Critic, if that means that you will not be posting much.  It is people like you who post on this forum that make CC such a valuable resource.  I truly think that once you get used to the changes, you will find that it is just fine as to ease of use.

And thank you so much for the nice complement!

Bob

Edited by boblerm
  • Like 1

On 10/22/2018 at 7:39 AM, boblerm said:

MBM, I surely hope that you do not choose to spend less time on Cruise Critic, if that means that you will not be posting much.  It is people like you who post on this forum that make CC such a valuable resource.  I truly think that once you get used to the changes, you will find that it is just fine as to ease of use.

And thank you so much for the nice complement!

Bob

Bob, thank YOU, and you're certainly welcome!

I wish you could see what confronts me now when I try to look at new posts from my subscribed threads. Two threads have received an incredible number of new posts and they clog up the page so I have to "load more" repeatedly to see if there are new posts to the more important threads I follow.

However, they both probably will soon fade into oblivion by next year and perhaps at that time I will be just as happy around Cruise Critic as I used to be. II might even try to figure out how to unfollow the hugely popular ones. If you're curious what they are, they're the thread about the building of Celebrity Edge, and the thread about the water levels this year on the Rhine!

Cheerio. If I'm ever lonesome for posts that I love, I'll go back to your thread and look at all the photos. 😊

11 hours ago, May B said:

I wish you could see what confronts me now when I try to look at new posts from my subscribed threads. Two threads have received an incredible number of new posts and they clog up the page so I have to "load more" repeatedly to see if there are new posts to the more important threads I follow.

I might even try to figure out how to unfollow the hugely popular ones. If you're curious what they are, they're the thread about the building of Celebrity Edge, and the thread about the water levels this year on the Rhine!

May B,

More likely than not, you are probably already well aware of this, but on the outside chance that you are not, I thought that there would be no harm in pointing it out-

You can change the way in which you receive notifications, if it is more convenient, you can choose to receive one email per day with all of your content.  This can be done globally, for all of your followed content (probably not a good option given the high number of new posts in the forums you mention), but it can also be done for selected content.  So if you wanted to change the way you get notifications from the 2 forums you mentioned, or eliminate them altogether, you can do so by clicking your name at the top of a forum page

Capture.JPG.965e6fbcbd1fe2af70b8c56f80922bc9.JPG

And then choose "Managed Followed Content".

Here you will see a list of all your followed content, and you can change whether or not to be notified for each one individually, and if so, how.

Hope this helps,

Bob

• Like 1

Bob, some of it definitely helps!

I already did adjust notifications, right at the beginning of the new format. The person who taught me how to find the new posts also taught that. The only emails I get (and this is more than ever before -- I used to get NONE) are when somebody quotes me. And I quickly began LIKING that. I can read what you tell me, before I even log on here! I think I get those emails b/c I leave checked the Notify me of replies when I make a post.

The clogging amount I have to wade through is all the posts on my subscribed threads. After Edge is out of production, that thread will hopefully dry up; and the levels of water in the Rhine is a one-year thread. I don't know why it's been so active, but since I'm not going there any time soon, I've ignored all those posts since the new format rolled out.

Now -- for the first time, I did not quote you. I merely launched into my reply. See if you like it better when I don't quote you, or when I do. 😊 What a life!

Hi May B,

I am getting notifications when anyone posts on threads that I am subscribed to regardless as to whether or not I am quoted.

So it seems that the only reason to use quotes would be on an active thread when you want to make sure that it is clear what you are responding to.

I honestly am liking the new format better as time goes on, as enhancements are made and as I get more accustomed to it.

Best,

Bob