Which Priceline search area in Miami is best for us?

danicolie

We’ll be staying in Miami for the first time on Apr 10 & 11, 2019 pre-cruise and hoping the locals can recommend an area we’d enjoy.

We cruise a couple times per year but have always departed from FLL and loved it!  We don't rent a car so we always picked a hotel along the water taxi route which gave us easy access to the beach and restaurants.  We usually stay on FLL beach and the next day we tour the intracoastal via water taxi and stop at Hollywood Margaritville to spend the day at the beach there, explore the broadwalk, shops, people watch, etc.  Is there a water taxi in Miami?

We are 2 couples in our 40s & 60s so we’re not into the crowded nightlife.  Hoping to be within walking distance of the beach, restaurants, shops, things to do, etc…    I see several options on Priceline around $150/nt for our dates which would be our max budget but which of these search areas would be best for us?

* South Beach – Collins Ave Oceanfront

* South Beach – Central Conventions Center

* South Beach – Ocean Drive

* South Beach – Central Art Deco District

* Mid-Miami Beach

Probably the least risky area for blind bidding would be South Beach--Collins Avenue Oceanfront. Likely confining you to the east side of Collins Ave between 15th and 22nd streets. Beach will be right out the door, decent selection of shops and restaurants especially if you walk to Lincoln Road.

Central Convention Center could be anywhere from the non-oceanfront hotels on or behind the above stretch of Collins, to 1 to 2 miles further south on Washington Ave. Theoretically within walking distance of the convention center but a bit of a gamble on location. And quality--you might get lucky with the Courtyard Marriott or Hyatt Centric, or not with an ancient converted bedsit rooming house.

Ocean Drive is the crowded nightlife district. Across the street from the beach but at night anything goes. And for $150 you won't get a room facing the rear (essential if you want any sleep) but overlooking the cacophony on the sidewalks that runs 'til dawn.

Central Art Deco District should be lower Washington and Collins Aves (roughly below 14th Street). No more than 2 or 3 blocks from the beach, otherwise you would not be in the Deco District--but again with blind bids you never know. Lots of lovely restored (but very small by today's standards) rooms in the area. And lots not so lovely. Caveat emptor. (But this may be the best option if you like a gamble--might find a real gem).

Mid Miami Beach is just too broad an area to blind bid on. Most hotels worth staying at will be well higher than $150 even deeply discounted. The few on or across from the beach at that price (the Best Western Plus Atlantic is a likely winning bid for example) get mediocre at best reviews. Scratch this choice off.

There is no water taxi on Miami Beach; all it would be able to do is circle the city as there are no inland waterways to put stops at. Boat tours that pass by the mansions facing the causeways between the beach and the mainland actually sail from Downtown Miami near the Port. Of course there are tons of bus tours covering the area.

I know I gave you a lot to slog through. You are coming down a week before Easter which is peak family vacation time. Lots of the better popularly priced hotels could already be fully booked. If you do go with Priceline be sure your awarded property fits the advertised category at its most literal--for Collins Avenue Oceanfront should be an odd-numbered street address to actually be on the ocean.

Thank you for the info!  Much appreciated.  We have narrowed it down to South Beach--Collins Avenue Oceanfront and Mid-Miami Beach.   Crazy low prices are coming up for these....

Red South Beach Hotel $106

L Hotel $109

Ocean Spray $151

Grand Beach Hotel  $159 (Secret Deal)

Richmond Ocean Front $128 (Secret Deal)

Should I jump on or avoid any of these?

Thanks.  I've booked several hotels on priceline and hotwire.  Always been very satisfied.  It's not the booking mechanism that I'm worried about....  The issue is that I'm not familiar at all with the Miami hotels.  Hoping someone who is familiar with the hotels I mentioned above can tell me if I should stay there or not. 

The Grand Beach Hotel is in the worst part of the mid-beach concrete canyon that blots out the afternoon sun from the beach. Skip this one.

The L Hotel and Ocean Spray are side by side a block in from the beach, a short walk across Indian Creek from shopping and restaurants. Both are restored Art Deco buildings but the Ocean Spray has been redecorated in 17th century French classical style (!). A bit over the top if the photos on their website are to be believed. The L is a bit more typical, and includes WiFi and continental breakfast. Probably the best "deal" here.

Red South Beach is in a newly fashionable area kinda between South and Mid-Beach. Lots of old properties being purchased and very smartly upgraded by South American money launderers investors. A larger building with a pool and restaurant. But smaller than average rooms and bathrooms according to most reviews, as is typical of the moderately priced seasonal rentals these hotels were originally built as. 

The Richmond is in a great location for that price, oceanfront on Collins Ave a short walk from Lincoln Rd. But as a long time family-owned hotel (as described on its website) it has not been modernized as much as its neighbors. And the caveat about small rooms applies here as well. But this is probably the most "Miami Beachy" of the five options you have found.