Still on the Riviera (yay!)

BigNance

Day 8

Venice Part 2

We disembarked a little after noon. We were docked at the main terminal in Venice and Oceania had shuttle buses running people to the People Mover (although the announcement stated that it would take us to the Piazzale Roma Water Taxi/Vaporetto stand).  We took the shuttle because we didn't realize how short the walk was!!  Also, even though I tried to get my group to take the people mover, they decided to walk.  It isn't a bad walk, but it is about one mile.  You walk out to the main street, turn left and walk until you get to the bus area.  You cross at the safest area (good luck with that), and just beyond and to the right a little, is the vaporetto station in Piazzele Roma.  We purchased 24 hour tickets (20 Euros) because we wanted to go to a few different areas.  The info sheet in Currents stated that there were 12 hour tickets available for purchase.  Not so.  Perhaps because we were late in the season...

We hopped on the Vaporetto and headed off for Plaza de San Marco!  It was great riding through the canal and seeing all of the beautiful buildings!  I love doing that!  We enjoyed walking around the Plaza and taking photos of everything! Including a picture of the Campanile reflected in the water that was beginning  to come up through the drainage ports!!  We were there about 12:45 ish and there wasn't much water there.  We spoke to friends from the ship that were there at about 3:30 and they said the water was knee deep!!  We were walking around Venice and didn't see evidence of flooding anywhere else at that time.  We caught the water ferry over to Murano to check out the glass shops and have a midafternoon snack/dinner/whatever at a restaurant that has become one of our faves.  Restaurant alla Mara.  They have this terrific seafood and pasta dish for 2 that is in this enormous pan and can feed 3 or 4.  We enjoyed that after our shopping/browsing while catching the last rays of the sun!  Along with some red wine, of course!

We returned to Piazzale Roma and traipsed around Venice a little longer looking for fig gelato.  Some members of our group wanted to harass other friends who weren't able to travel with us regarding the gelato food group.  We were unsuccessful in our search for said gelato variety and hopped on the nearest vaporatto back to Piazzale Roma, since we had already walked about 8 miles....

Even though we had a late afternoon snack/early dinner/pigout, we had to visit the Buffet for one last treat of lobster.  After the obligatory stop for reviving refreshments at Martinis.   Once again, neither disappointed 😉

We weren't able to do any evening activities, since we had ditched packing earlier for photo ops and then sightseeing.  Since we had to be up at 3 AM for 4 AM disembarkation and a 4:30 taxi ride, we decided to not be idiots and retire early.  

Some final thoughts.

Disembarkation at 4:00 AM is a breeze.  We carted our luggage out ourselves, since I didn't trust someone else to have my luggage ready at 4:00 AM.  My mistake.  There were quite a few people leaving at that ungodly hour of the morning and the luggage was all lined up nice and neat with handle up.  I was quite impressed!

I don't know how the Venice terminal is with 1000 people in it, but at that hour of the morning it was fast.  

Our taxi showed up early (Venice Quality Taxi, found on Trip Advisor, contacted and paid via email, 65 Euros) and we were at the airport before 5 AM.  So sad to have the trip be over!!!

We really enjoyed this trip.  It was our first time on Oceania and our first time to this area.  Oceania does a great job.  The service was outstanding, the bars and restaurants were excellent, when we called about any issue, we received a prompt response, and there was a lot to do.  We amassed quite a few Big O Points and had a good time doing it.  We now have a hat, Polo shirt, and a T-shirt so we can advertise for Oceania 😉

I hope we can travel with them again in the near future!  

How fun to read happy, positive posts about your cruise!! So glad you like "O"..we board Rivera on 11/13 for the T/A...we haven't been on O for several years so will be thrilled to be back! Did you book your next one while on board? :)  LuAnn

Thank you so much for this report, it was really fun to read! And so nice to read that you enjoyed the Riviera so much. Our first ever cruise was on the Rivièra 3 years ago and now our second cruise (in 11 days, yeah!) will be as well. 

I would have loved to have done your itinerary, it sounds wonderful. I hope you had a good and safe trip home. 

Thank you all very much! We had a great time!  I enjoyed writing about it. 

We didn’t book while on board. We have 2 vacays planned next year and a wedding. 2 more the next year. Vacations. Not weddings🤣🤣

And. We both work. 

But I would love to squeeze another Oceania cruise in within the next 2 years!

Cleo. Enjoy your upcoming cruise!!