Rent a car or Irie Tour (West Beach Hopping)?

danicolie

First time visiting Curacao (via cruise).  I was all set on renting a car and touring at our own pace but then I read a few posts that make me wonder if it’s safe to do so?

There was a review a couple weeks ago from a couple who rented a car and was robbed at gun point at Kenepa Beach.  Another post from someone who said they paid a guard at Hato Caves to watch their car while they went inside… is this necessary?

We’d love to see a few attractions (Hato Caves, Curacao Liquor distillery, etc…) and then spend a lot of time at a few beach on the West side (Kenepa, Piskado & Porto Marie).  All the organized tours seem to spend only a very short amount of time at the beaches.

Advice?

16 hours ago, danicolie said:

First time visiting Curacao (via cruise).  I was all set on renting a car and touring at our own pace but then I read a few posts that make me wonder if it’s safe to do so?

There was a review a couple weeks ago from a couple who rented a car and was robbed at gun point at Kenepa Beach.  Another post from someone who said they paid a guard at Hato Caves to watch their car while they went inside… is this necessary?

We’d love to see a few attractions (Hato Caves, Curacao Liquor distillery, etc…) and then spend a lot of time at a few beach on the West side (Kenepa, Piskado & Porto Marie).  All the organized tours seem to spend only a very short amount of time at the beaches.

Advice?

The sites you are looking to see are in completely different places on the island - Hato Cave are near the airport,  Distillery is on the East Side and the beaches are on the West Side.  It will be difficult for you to fit all that in on a port stop regardless of what you choose.

I live here and personally have not had any issues at all, vacationed here many times and have not had anyone bother us.  With that being said, if you choose to rent a car, do not leave anything in the car at all, don't put things in the trunk in plain view of others (just as you wouldn't at home), use normal safety precautions.  I have never heard of anyone paying a security guard at the Hato Caves to watch their car.  

Oh ok...   I had just Google Mapped the points of interest and it seemed do-able at a comfortable pace.  We're in port from 8am to 11pm and won't necessarily be swimming at all those beaches.  It's basically the same itinerary as Irie's West Beach tour + Distillery + Caves.   I guess we should rethink it.  Glad to hear that it is safe to rent a car.  Thanks for the advice.  

Google Map Curacao.JPG

To give you an example, we picked up friends from the port at about 8:45 am, went to Playa Piskado just to look at the turtles, went to Grote Knip for a few hours, then on to the flamingos at Jan Kok, a late lunch and swimming at Kokomo beach and we were back in Punda by 4:30 pm.  

First time to the island a few weeks ago and we rented a car.  Look at my review for ideas

We are not spring chickens, over 60 but never felt threatened, unsafe, etc. and there was just my wife and me.  Rent the car, go have fun.  We spent a lot of time snorkeling and were back by 4:30 although we were in port until 8:00.  Reason we came back early was it was pouring and my wife was getting tired (we spent a lot of time in the water).

Go snorkel with the turtles first to get there before the crowds do.  And if you like snorkeling go to Playa Lagun.  Great little place that doesn't get a lot of attention.    It was like being in an aquarium.  Have fun!

Edited by Duanerice1

21 hours ago, Duanerice1 said:

First time to the island a few weeks ago and we rented a car.  Look at my review for ideas

Awesome!  Thank you for the advice and I loved your review!  Sounds like you had a wonderful time!  It will be our first time on this island as well.  There will be 4 of us... me, my husband, my mom and my aunt.  Glad to hear that safety was not an issue for you.  I think we're gonna go for it!  😃 

On 10/31/2018 at 7:09 PM, danicolie said:

Awesome!  Thank you for the advice and I loved your review!  Sounds like you had a wonderful time!  It will be our first time on this island as well.  There will be 4 of us... me, my husband, my mom and my aunt.  Glad to hear that safety was not an issue for you.  I think we're gonna go for it!  😃 

YES!!!!  Use the guy we went through as you'll be so happy you did.  He gets nothing but rave reviews.

Check some of the reviews on this page.  There were a few that recommended him.  Here are some from Trip Advisor but they are older - still rings true.  https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147277-i583-k10840636-Best_Car_Rental_Advance_Car_Rental_Curacao-Curacao.html

Another more recent one: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147277-i583-k11734670-Advance_Car_Rental_Review-Curacao.html

Book it and go.  He was fantastic and had a great time.  The funny part is getting gas on the return.  The station is right by the pier so it's not a problem.  But you drive up to a window and tell the person, who you cannot see, how much gas you want and pay them.  They then show you a number and that's the pump you go to.  Of course we had a laugh over this.  Worked fine but just not what we were used to.