Distance from port to Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Oslo & Helsingborg????

herb

We are trying to figure out whether or not the ship docks near the city center or whether it's quite a hike to the city center from each dock. Are taxis etc. needed or are you "right there"???

Your help is appreciated :)

In Amsterdam you dock very close to city-centre. However the advice is to the the tram which is close to the terminal. After 2-3 stops you arrive at central station. Either you change here (sometimes you can stay in the same tram), or start to walk.

Only for Rijksmuseum, Van Goghmuseum you need to take a tram once more.

The best and nicest way to see the city is a canalboatride. Some are offered directly opposite central station.

This will give you a lot of info:http://www.vvvamsterdam.nl/

Oslo: Most ships dock in the city centre, almost next to the town hall. It's an easy stroll to the shopping area and the major sights in the city centre. Also, the ferries to the area where the Kon Tiki, Viking ships and other museums are situated leave from outside the town hall.

Copenhagen: I've only done this once by ship, but IIRC we were docked very close to the Little Mermaid, and the city centre was a pleasant stroll away - something like half an hour at a gentle pace.

The cruise ships dock at or near the DFDS dock which is a short walk to the main train station and the town. Not a lot to see in Helsingborg, Sweden but a popular trip is to take the ferry across to the other side, to Helsingor, Denmark to see Elsinor Castle of Hamlet fame. I believe there are a couple ferry lines back and forth continuously; reservations not needed.

BobK/Orlando

The cruise ships dock at or near the DFDS dock which is a short walk to the main train station and the town. Not a lot to see in Helsingborg, Sweden but a popular trip is to take the ferry across to the other side, to Helsingor, Denmark to see Elsinor Castle of Hamlet fame. I believe there are a couple ferry lines back and forth continuously; reservations not needed.

BobK/Orlando

We really enjoyed the Fredriksdal open-air museum and gardens in Helsingborg. Also, we were so warmly greeted in that port (young girls gave roses to all the female passengers, etc.), and it was very charming. If you're going on the Constellation, please note that we had to tender into that port because Helsingborg is not equipped to handle a large cruise ship.

After our tender dropped us off, the ferry terminal was a 20-minute walk to the right, and you will see it. The ferry ride was pleasant, and we enjoyed Helsingor. It is a lovely village. The tourist office is right off the ferry in the flower market, and they gave us a map for a walking tour.

My experience in the other ports echoes the advice above, so I don't have anything to add to that other than that taxis are readily available in Copenhagen if you prefer not to walk or take a shuttle, and the taxis take credit cards.

Have a great trip,

Donna

Archived