Just Back from Silver Spirit - Disappointing

avalon1025

10 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

It’s just the mobile app used to be such a breeze as it was just a single tap to launch and the entire forum was at your fingertips.  If I may ask, how do you place a shortcut to your mobile phone’s home screen?  I know how to add apps, but have no clue on creating a shortcut on my phone’s home screen.  If by home screen you meant in your internet browser, then I’m good to go.  Thx!

Stumblefoot, I don't know if you are using an Android or IOS device, here are the instructions for creating a shortcut on the home screen for both:

Android (using Google Chrome)-

Open your browser, and go to https://boards.cruisecritic.com/

Tap on the 3 dots on the upper right, and choose "Add to Home Screen".  A shortcut will appear that allows immediate access to the CC Boards.

IOS  (Ipad or Iphone, using Safari)-

Go to the Boards site in the browser as above, tap on the box with the arrow pointing up and choose "Add to Home Screen".

Now with one tap, the boards can be accessed, just like using the app.

I am aware of one significant disadvantage to using the mobile site as opposed to the app, as Silver Spectre has pointed out, ios users used to be able to downsize photos, making it easier to upload them on spotty ship wi-fi.  As an Android user, this option was never available to me anyway (or if it was, I was never clever enough to figure out how!).  However, IMHO, there are many advantages to using the mobile site over the app, although some of the things I mention here may or may not apply to the ios version, which I was not quite as familiar with.

1) You can now format posts, (bold, italics, underline, text size and font choices)

2) When you compose a post, it appears in "what you see is what you get" form, much easier to visualize what the actual post will look like once submitted.  This is especially true when including images. With the app, you could only see little thumbnails.  This way, one is far less likely to post the wrong image, duplicate images, or upside down images (yes, I have done all of these).

3) There is no longer a 6 image limit per post.  There is a 48.83 MB limit however, but on my  test posts, I was able to load many more than 6.

4) Best of all, you can now edit posts from your device after submitted.  I was not able to do this with my Android app.  Previously, if I noted a glaring error after posting from the app, I had to get out my laptop, go to CC boards, navigate to my post, and edit it, within the dreaded 10 minute limit.  Now I can edit my post immediately from my device.

Some people have noted on other boards that they have had to log in with username and password frequently, I have not had that problem.  I logged in once last month, and go right to the site already logged in every time I open it.  I get my notifications immediately upon opening the page, if you do not know how to do this please let me know.

I truly hope that CC restores app functionality, since so many people seem to miss it, and because choice is good.  But for my part, I doubt if I would return to using it, as I much prefer using the mobile site.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions, while I am far from an expert in these things, I would be happy to share what I do know.

Bob

5 hours ago, boblerm said:

Stumblefoot, I don't know if you are using an Android or IOS device, here are the instructions for creating a shortcut on the home screen for both:

Android (using Google Chrome)-

Open your browser, and go to https://boards.cruisecritic.com/

Tap on the 3 dots on the upper right, and choose "Add to Home Screen".  A shortcut will appear that allows immediate access to the CC Boards.

IOS  (Ipad or Iphone, using Safari)-

Go to the Boards site in the browser as above, tap on the box with the arrow pointing up and choose "Add to Home Screen".

Now with one tap, the boards can be accessed, just like using the app.

It must have something to do with using Chrome as the browser because I use Safari and don’t see a box with an arrow pointing up.

749808AC-3124-42A7-A84A-4EAD8BF6E722.jpeg

51 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

It must have something to do with using Chrome as the browser because I use Safari and don’t see a box with an arrow pointing up.

These are screenshots taken from my ipad.  This is the box with the arrow of which I speak.

1874711782_20181118_140838copy.jpg.b8becc8f6738002f96f7488c92415be1.jpg

If you click on that, you should get these choices.  Click on "Add to Home Screen"

769707248_20181118_140851copy.jpg.0078386727521bcb914148cdc0e24d72.jpg

Again click on "Add to Home"

576933407_20181118_140859copy.jpg.26cfe711fa41404157571da4ccfcb9eb.jpg

Now, you should get this shortcut on a home page of your device

557431021_20181118_140953copy.jpg.21cf30b3f1884c107c02a7ed872da491.jpg

If your Safari browser does not look like this, if you can post a screenshot of what it does look like, I (or someone who knows more about ios than I) can help you figure out how to get a home page shortcut.

Bob

3 hours ago, boblerm said:

These are screenshots taken from my ipad.  This is the box with the arrow of which I speak.

1874711782_20181118_140838copy.jpg.b8becc8f6738002f96f7488c92415be1.jpg

Thanks Bob!  Your screenshot helped as I was able to find the arrow you referenced.  It is at the bottom of my screen when I swipe up.  So, i’m good to go now.

Really appreciate your help!

1254824C-FD55-40FE-9944-79D31E9978EB.png

14 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Thanks Bob!  Your screenshot helped as I was able to find the arrow you referenced.  It is at the bottom of my screen when I swipe up.  So, i’m good to go now.

Really appreciate your help!

Great! Glad it worked. 

Bob