Yellow gold hook bracelet

Tricialy

Does anyone have experience with buying a yellow gold hook bracelet?  I tried when we were in St. Thomas last January and none of the jewelry stores at Havensite carried them.  St. John Bracelet Co. has a hammered one I love on their website, but I contacted them (through the site) and didn't get an answer back.  A local friend suggested Sonya's (from St. Croix), but she currently doesn't have anyone on St. Thomas selling her bracelets.  We'll be back in December and am ready to buy, but I'd like to see before I purchase.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Tricialy said:

Does anyone have experience with buying a yellow gold hook bracelet?  I tried when we were in St. Thomas last January and none of the jewelry stores at Havensite carried them.  St. John Bracelet Co. has a hammered one I love on their website, but I contacted them (through the site) and didn't get an answer back.  A local friend suggested Sonya's (from St. Croix), but she currently doesn't have anyone on St. Thomas selling her bracelets.  We'll be back in December and am ready to buy, but I'd like to see before I purchase.

Thanks!

You sound like you're on a very similar quest that was on a few years ago!!!   🙂  Before our cruise I was on a private group roll call on social media and one of the gals posted a picture of her hook bracelet she got while in St. John on a prior cruise and was considering getting another that was a little different.  I LOVED it, but we'd already had something booked in St. Thomas, so I wouldn't be able to get to St. John to get one.  After posting the question here, I found that St. John and St. Croix were the only places to get a good quality hook bracelet since there wasn't a place on St. Thomas to get one unless you wanted a "knock off".  A few people also recommended Sonya's.  It might be "cheating" a little, but I ordered my bracelet, online from Sonya's a few weeks before our cruise and actually had it within a week.  Since it was to be my Virgin Islands souvenir, I did try it on (had to make sure it fit) but did not wear it until the day we were in St. Thomas on the cruise. 

I know you wanted to see before you purchase and I totally understand that.  I prefer to see before purchasing too, but I knew that would not be possible on that cruise, so I tried my luck with my online purchase from Sonya's since they came highly recommended.  I do not regret my decision, I LOVE my bracelet and it's great quality.  Will you be able to get over to St. John while you're in St. Thomas in December?  There were a couple places on St. John that make them.  One of them is called "Caravan Gallery" located at Mongoose Junction in Cruz Bay in St. John.  Another that came recommended was "Bamboo Studio".  The other place that came recommended was the St. John Bracelet Company that didn't respond to you.  Hope this will help some. 

Link for "Caravan Gallery":  https://www.caravangallery.com/hook-bracelets-ezp-5.html

Link for "Bamboo Studio": http://www.bamboovi.com/

Edited by pghsteelerfan

Thanks for the information!  I sure didn’t think I’d have a problem when we were in STT last year.  We did a snorkel trip and just had time to shop near the pier.  I specifically don’t have anything planned for this stop in St. Thomas and had planned on heading to St. John.  I’ll check those sites out.  I appreciate your help.  

Highly recommend St John Bracelet! Can’t tell you why they didn’t respond to you, but I can say that calling on the phone is the best way to contact anyone in the islands.

The workmanship and quality is top notch, and the hammering is much superior to anything else you will find while on a STT.  My wife looked at all of the jewelry shops and artists in CA, Red Hook, and Tutu on STT and will always recommend STJ Bracelets after seeing the difference in workmanship firsthand.

We were staying on STT and stopped into STJ Bracelets while visiting STJ for the day. My wife wanted something a bit more unique made from silver and yellow gold, and the owner worked with her on the design and custom made it while we saw the island. So we’d strongly recommend enjoying your day visiting STJ and get a beautiful Hook bracelet while there. Call ahead and let them know what day you will be there.

You can buy from Sonya’s online, but it’s just not the same experience as getting one while on the island. If you prefer you can probably have them hold the one you like if you don’t want one made special for you. If you would like one made special just call and start the design!

If you haven’t visited STJ before consider taking one of the tours offered by the drivers in Cruz Bay for ~$26pp and then enjoy Cinnamon Bay after or having lunch and seeing the shops in Cruz Bay. Some of our favorite places in Cruz Bay are still closed from Irma, but the beaches are nice. Very nice day that!  - enjoy your time there!

Edited by blue_water

29 minutes ago, blue_water said:

Highly recommend St John Bracelet! Can’t tell you why they didn’t respond to you, but I can say that calling on the phone is the best way to contact anyone in the islands.

The workmanship and quality is top notch, and the hammering is much superior to anything else you will find while on a STT.  My wife looked at all of the jewelry shops and artists in CA, Red Hook, and Tutu on STT and will always recommend STJ Bracelets after seeing the difference in workmanship firsthand.

Thanks blue_water - St. John Bracelet has the exact bracelet I want, maybe it was just a website glitch.  I'll contact them again.  Good to know they'll make it while you're on the island for the day.  I spent last night admiring their Facebook page.

Great, and yes be sure to call ahead to be sure the owner will be there that day if you want something made or to ensure the bracelet you want will be there.

And pghsteelerfan’s choice with Sonya’s is another option and the quality is very good there from what I’ve read so don’t mean to put that down. My wife just wants to see the pieces in the shop before buying, and she was (is) very happy with the experience and the piece. We know the quality (especially the hammering craftsmanship) is superb, and he will show his hammering vs pieces from competitors.

I am doing a cruise on Princess in March.  One of our stops is St. Thomas.  I love bracelets and have started seeking them out whenever we travel as my special souvenir.   How hard would it be to get to St. John from the port in St. Thomas?  

Thank you in advance. 

Very easy to get to STJ on a cruise stop. Just locate a safari taxi at the pier that ids going to the Red Hook ferry, there are taxi coordinators there to help as well. 20-minute, $10/pp taxi, 15-minute, $7/pp ferry to Cruz Bay. The total cost is $34/pp round trip. If you go to a beach add another $7/pp each way.

The taxis and ferries are very reliable and there is no need to book through the ship. Just take a return ferry from Cruz Bay at least 2 hours before your back on board time to allow for any traffic.

• 2 months later...

Update:  After following St. John Bracelet Co on Facebook we decided to go with them.  Took a taxi from Havensight to Red Hook and caught the 9 am ferry across.  Found just what I wanted at St. John Bracelet Co. - purchased my yellow gold bracelet and husband bought a silver and gold hook bracelet.  They didn't have his in stock so he had to wait for them to make it and ship it to us.  We are very pleased with our experience with them and the jewelry we purchased.  I recommend them highly.

On 1/26/2019 at 4:08 PM, Tricialy said:

Update:  After following St. John Bracelet Co on Facebook we decided to go with them.  Took a taxi from Havensight to Red Hook and caught the 9 am ferry across.  Found just what I wanted at St. John Bracelet Co. - purchased my yellow gold bracelet and husband bought a silver and gold hook bracelet.  They didn't have his in stock so he had to wait for them to make it and ship it to us.  We are very pleased with our experience with them and the jewelry we purchased.  I recommend them highly.

Glad you also had a great experience and that you decided to look there - enjoy!