Muster/embarkation timing

Unibok

Seeking the wisdom of the Silversea board, rather than reading the fine print for myself (does admitting you feel lazy make it okay?). The general gist of my question is: must you be physically onboard when embarkation ends if you have already checked in, and how does the end of embarkation relate to the mandatory muster?

Now, to the specifics. I know it is fine to embark early, register, have lunch, and then leave the ship to go explore. I had a lovely time in San Juan doing just that. However, for my upcoming cruise to Alaska, I've been tempted to use that time for a tour of the Kenai Fjords. Our train from Anchorage arrives at 11 in the morning; official SS embarkation is 2-4 in the afternoon; sailaway is 7 at night. The tour runs from 1:30 to 5. We certainly could embark early, eat onboard, and catch the tour. My question is on the other end: would it return us too late? 

Bottom line: do we need to be onboard the Muse at 5:00 pm?

Based on my past experience (on other ships), I suspect muster will be around 5 if your sailaway is at 7. AFAIK, the drill must be completed before the ship sails. So your tour might get you back a little late for the start of the drill. 

We have often done what you are planning (gone off on our own after embarking), and once we mistakenly returned later than we should have, and missed the muster drill. I simply wasn't paying attention to the all-aboard time and concentrated more on the actual sailaway time. It wasn't the end of the world but now it is something I check more carefully...

5 hours ago, jpalbny said:

We have often done what you are planning (gone off on our own after embarking), and once we mistakenly returned later than we should have, and missed the muster drill. I simply wasn't paying attention to the all-aboard time and concentrated more on the actual sailaway time. It wasn't the end of the world but now it is something I check more carefully...

Thanks, JP, that is exactly what I was looking for, and concerned about. Where would I find the official all-aboard time?

1 hour ago, nowornever said:

But then you get to do the "walk of shame" to the make-up drill through Dolce Vita during Trivia time dragging your life jackets while everyone looks at you disapprovingly.  😁

We were on Silver Wind. Our disapproving looks were delivered in private...

Unibok, I don't know where to find that information prior to boarding. Perhaps your TA could get that from SS?

We sailed last June from Seward and did the pre-cruise Denali trip through Silversea. I believe they offer that on all Alaska cruises.

The last leg of that trip was a train from Girdwood to Seward and there were many Silversea passengers on the train besides the tour group. The train didn't get into Seward until about 6:00 PM and as soon as we were onboard we had to rush to the muster drill. The train was, I believe, a regularly scheduled Silversea-only run from Anchorage.

Bottom line is we didn't board until after 6 for our 7 PM sailing so I don't think you'd have any problem boarding at 5.