Cuba and Canadian

Luv2cruz1000

Interest in Canadians who sailed with Carnival (maybe has not docked there yet) to Cuba. Am I allowed to walk around on my own, or book a private tour. I noticed the visa fee of 75.00. Do Canadians need the visa and will carnival still charge me? Cuba experiences appreciated, even if you sailed another cruise line.

• 2 weeks later...

I traveled to Cuba on the Paradise in August.  I had to pay the $75 visa fee.  We booked a private tour for our first day with Blexie Tours.  Yofren, our guide, was fantastic!  Second day, we ventured around Havana in our own.  Awesome couple of days in Havana!

On 12/5/2018 at 9:47 PM, soccersharon said:

I traveled to Cuba on the Paradise in August.  I had to pay the $75 visa fee.  We booked a private tour for our first day with Blexie Tours.  Yofren, our guide, was fantastic!  Second day, we ventured around Havana in our own.  Awesome couple of days in Havana!

Do you remember by any chance what did you on the certificate? we have booked the private guide in Havana but there is no such option on the guest certification. Tried to call customer service but its like talking to kids,,, no actual help. Or will be anyone on the ship to advise? Going in 10 days and stressed already)

On 12/7/2018 at 12:34 PM, olbro said:

Do you remember by any chance what did you on the certificate? we have booked the private guide in Havana but there is no such option on the guest certification. Tried to call customer service but its like talking to kids,,, no actual help. Or will be anyone on the ship to advise? Going in 10 days and stressed already)

We seleceted option 2 on the travel affidavit (third party tour).  This is the option Carnival asked us to choose.

16 hours ago, soccersharon said:

We seleceted option 2 on the travel affidavit (third party tour).  This is the option Carnival asked us to choose.

Are you saying that Carnival told you to select the Self Guided P2P option?  That's the second option on the form and the only one I see that even comes close to your description of a third party tour.  Had you booked this cruise prior to June, 2017, or did Carnival not realize that this option is no longer valid?

olbro, selecting Support For The Cuban People is far and away your best option.  

On 12/9/2018 at 9:06 AM, FredZiffle said:

Are you saying that Carnival told you to select the Self Guided P2P option?  That's the second option on the form and the only one I see that even comes close to your description of a third party tour.  Had you booked this cruise prior to June, 2017, or did Carnival not realize that this option is no longer valid?

olbro, selecting Support For The Cuban People is far and away your best option.  

My mistake!  

We selected option (I had to go back and read the affidavit)

. P2P TRAVEL
515.565 (b). People-to-people exchange arranged by a U.S. sponsoring organization (including Operator guided programs and third party-sponsored programs.)

That makes more sense.  Every cruise line seems to recommend this option, probably because the agents in the terminal have no clue and are simply following instructions.  If you're using a ship excursion, it's the correct choice.  If you're going out on your own or booking a private tour, Support For The Cuban People is the more appropriate option.  But, no one will ever see your affidavit again, so I wouldn't sweat it if the cruise line wants you to check P2P.

11 hours ago, FredZiffle said:

That makes more sense.  Every cruise line seems to recommend this option, probably because the agents in the terminal have no clue and are simply following instructions.  If you're using a ship excursion, it's the correct choice.  If you're going out on your own or booking a private tour, Support For The Cuban People is the more appropriate option.  But, no one will ever see your affidavit again, so I wouldn't sweat it if the cruise line wants you to check P2P.

We fully intended on selecting SFTCP, but we're directed to selected option 1 - which fit just as well.