Search for cruises based on perks

michaeljc70

After just getting back from a European cruise on the Reflection, I am searching for my next cruise.  For those of us that want the drink package, I am wondering if there is any way to search for cruises that include it (or other perks).  The sites I typically use don't have any such feature.  It makes a big difference when looking at the total price.  For example,  I paid around $1600 pp for the Reflection for 13 nights.  However, that included the classic drink package, prepaid gratuities and a $175 room credit (you could pick 2 perks basically +$175).  When all was said and done, that brought the cost of the cruise down by around 70%.  

As it stands now, I have to look for ships I like and places I'd like to go and then click on each one to see if there are perks. 

Though I prefer Celebrity, being able to search other cruise lines with perks would be nice too.  

If you want to benefit from finding a good deal you have to do your own research.  Continue to search for itineraries  that interest you. The perks often fluctuate from promotion to promotion.  There are also seasonal deals that you can find in the cruise critic news listings.  The deal you got on your last cruise seems more generous that what I have recently  seen on offer.  How long ago did you actually book that one?

20 hours ago, rose6 said:

If you want to benefit from finding a good deal you have to do your own research.  Continue to search for itineraries  that interest you. The perks often fluctuate from promotion to promotion.  There are also seasonal deals that you can find in the cruise critic news listings.  The deal you got on your last cruise seems more generous that what I have recently  seen on offer.  How long ago did you actually book that one?

I booked it an January, so around 10 months in advance. 

4 hours ago, jkgourmet said:

Get on the mailing list for email from a couple of big online Travel Agents.  You'll find out about the sales and perks offered easily.  We've decided our last 3 cruises this way.  ALWAYS have to have the alcohol package.

I do get a bunch of those emails. Most are for trips I'm not interested in, are too far out or the promotions are vague ("Free X for certain categories").

The TA I use is pretty specific in their communication about specials. I'm all for doing things myself without calling, but when it comes to upgrading perks packages, category upgrades, group vs. Celebrity pricing, etc. TA's websites just can't handle the complexity. If I call, they can put together deals way more favorable than their website could do. 

Edited by Jeremiah1212

On 11/30/2018 at 11:38 AM, michaeljc70 said:

I do get a bunch of those emails. Most are for trips I'm not interested in, are too far out or the promotions are vague ("Free X for certain categories").

It's possible that you are subscribed to different emails/companies than I am.  Except for the "trips I'm not interested in" part, I don't have those issues with what I receive.  Yes, I do have to read the small print, but after the first few times, the "free" deals are pretty much the same, over and over, when offered. 

BTW, I've yet to find a mass market cruise line where you can get a alcohol drink package AND gratuities included  except on Celebrity, regardless of the promotion.   That some OBC is thrown in is just icing on the cake. 

10 minutes ago, jkgourmet said:

It's possible that you are subscribed to different emails/companies than I am.  Except for the "trips I'm not interested in" part, I don't have those issues with what I receive.  Yes, I do have to read the small print, but after the first few times, the "free" deals are pretty much the same, over and over, when offered. 

BTW, I've yet to find a mass market cruise line where you can get a alcohol drink package AND gratuities included  except on Celebrity, regardless of the promotion.   That some OBC is thrown in is just icing on the cake. 

I think getting multiple perks (besides OBC) is pretty rare on Oceanview or Inside cabins. Usually when I see multiple perks (pick your perks) you have to buy a more expensive balcony or suite.  I am sure it is all vacancy driven.  I believe (though I am guessing) my cruise had less demand because it came back the day after Thanksgiving.  Since most of the guests weren't American,  maybe demand from Americans was low on this cruise compared to other European cruises I've taken.

Do you have any companies email lists that you would recommend? 

42 minutes ago, michaeljc70 said:

I think getting multiple perks (besides OBC) is pretty rare on Oceanview or Inside cabins. Usually when I see multiple perks (pick your perks) you have to buy a more expensive balcony or suite.  I am sure it is all vacancy driven.  I believe (though I am guessing) my cruise had less demand because it came back the day after Thanksgiving.  Since most of the guests weren't American,  maybe demand from Americans was low on this cruise compared to other European cruises I've taken.

Do you have any companies email lists that you would recommend? 

Again, I don't agree with what you are saying. I agree inside cabins get no perks.  OV cabins get the choice of one or two perks, depending on the promotion.   Our big online travel agency throws in the gratuities on Celebrity, which means we get classic alcohol, grantuties and $300+ OBC when we sail Celebrity.   This has been the case with the last three X cruises we've booked with them.

The rules of this forum do not allow me to tell you the name of the online agency.  You might want to review some of my other posts.  Maybe some of them on the various roll calls include an email address. . .

(No we are not Elite - our fifth X cruise in April will get us to Elite.  Because we book inside and OV cabins, the points come very slowly.  45+ days so far and all we get is a free gelato.)

PS - I've always found that cruises that include Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Eve are MORE expensive than the surrounding dates.

32 minutes ago, jkgourmet said:

Again, I don't agree with what you are saying. I agree inside cabins get no perks.  OV cabins get the choice of one or two perks, depending on the promotion.   Our big online travel agency throws in the gratuities on Celebrity, which means we get classic alcohol, grantuties and $300+ OBC when we sail Celebrity.   This has been the case with the last three X cruises we've booked with them.

The rules of this forum do not allow me to tell you the name of the online agency.  You might want to review some of my other posts.  Maybe some of them on the various roll calls include an email address. . .

(No we are not Elite - our fifth X cruise in April will get us to Elite.  Because we book inside and OV cabins, the points come very slowly.  45+ days so far and all we get is a free gelato.)

PS - I've always found that cruises that include Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Eve are MORE expensive than the surrounding dates.

I am not sure what you don't agree with as what you said in a prior post lines up with what I said. I was speaking generically and not specifically about Celebrity. 

I don't know that the Thanksgiving thing applies as much to cruises originating in Europe since it is a US holiday.

I am Select, but for some cruises I saw I only got one point in the past. I am not sure why.  I have 196 points. These all show 1 or 2 points: 

10 Night Western Mediterranean Cruise

Celebrity Century

Nov 23  Dec 3, 2007

Points earned: 1

After 7 years, past folios
become unavailable.

14 Night Scandinavia & Russia Cruise

14 Night Scandinavia & Russia Cruise

Celebrity Constellation

May 7  May 21, 2005

Points earned: 2

become unavailable.

14-Night Buenos Aires To Valpariso

14-Night Buenos Aires To Valpariso

Celebrity Mercury

Feb 17  Mar 3, 2002

become unavailable.

European Cruise - 13 Nt Ams - Goa

European Cruise - 13 Nt Ams - Goa

Celebrity Millennium

Sep 9  Sep 22, 2000

The way Celebrity calculated points changed several years ago.  They have tried to explain it to me, and said that points from the earlier system were converted 'fairly'.  I can't figure it out, but I DO understand that if you book insides or OV, it's gonna take A LOT of days before they give you anything but a friendly smile as you leave the ship.

Even when we do reach Elite, it has little value since we always cruise with the alcohol package.   Oh Yeah, I think we get a free bag of laundry.

(I confess that Celebrity's Captain's Club program frustrates me.  The fact is that a person who cruises once in the Royal Suite will probably reach Elite after one cruise.  That person is considered more loyal than someone who has sailed on Celebrity 4 times for 45+ days and gets nothing but the ice cream cone.   That said, the loyalty programs are not why we sail Celebrity.  We sail them because we enjoy their product and, mostly, because of those perks, which FOR US who cruise in the cheap seats, make Celebrity considerably less expensive than other lines that we might like better.)