Aft cabins on Oosterdam

Jeano222

Just wondering if anyone has sailed in an aft cabin on Oosterdam. We are booked in 6154, and my question is whether there is any part of the balcony covered or is it all completely open. Thank you for any info.

I was in 5187 and will be again 3 weeks from right now and I have actually been in 6154, one of the the CC members from our Roll Call had that cabin so we saw it. There is very little cover,maybe just a two or three feet. Now On the side it is covered but while the ship is moving it is extremely windy on the side. Even though the deck is NOT covered the size of the balcony is wonderful and you will really enjoy it.

Two weeks ago when we cruised the Oosterdam and standing on the back lido deck, I noticed that on every level you could see most of the balcony, on every level,which didn't seem very private to me. And on every level you could see the balcony of all the levels below. The chairs the tables and the people, so just a guess that not much of it is covered. Now, I know that these cabins are very sought after (not by me), but I remember mentioning to my husband that if we were to be a back balcony type person, these would not be the ones to have. Another thing I noticed is that they seem to have mixed sizes of the balcony's. Meaning not all on a floor were of the large or small variety. A large may be next to a smaller and of course the end ones were the biggest, but they weren't all of the large variety.

Thanks, I was afraid of that. We are not sun-worshipers, so some shade we would want. It's my understanding that if we try to change to a different cabin, the TA is going to charge us 50.00 even though we don't sail until October, I'll plead my case and see if they will waive that fee. Those internet agencies are sure strict.

I can tell you that I have never paid a fee to change cabins if final payment has not been made. Gee, this cruise we are going on in just 3 weeks we were assigned to three different cabins before we got our 5187. All were S suite but we kept moving from SA to SC to SA then back to SC:D

• 2 years later...

We're in the process of booking the Oosterdam for a Mexican Riviera cruise and have a choice between VA 6154 and VA 4174. We love aft cabins but this will be our first chance to try an aft on this ship. Which of these aft cabins would you choose and why? Thankyou.

Cruised on "O" in December in aft SC6158 - a corner suite. It was great! The cabins you mention are somewhere between the two aft corner suites. They have very nice balconies with a fabulous view of the wake. The balconies are not as big as the SC suites, but you do not need that large a balcony unless you are entertaining a crowd.

The balconies are not covered, but it never bothered me that we were visible from above. Whenever I looked, there was no one there & even if there was, we felt quite removed from the passenger decks above. We would not hesitate to book aft cabins again - a great sense of spaciousness and ocean views.

Here is a photo from the Oosterdam showing the aft cabins looking down from the Lido deck. There isn't much that's covered, but actually have some shade a good part of the day from the partitions (depending on which direction the sun is).

Aft.jpg.69cef26c1f4021e392f7e233099a99f5.jpg

We're in the process of booking the Oosterdam for a Mexican Riviera cruise and have a choice between VA 6154 and VA 4174. We love aft cabins but this will be our first chance to try an aft on this ship. Which of these aft cabins would you choose and why? Thankyou.

Hi Shipluvr!

I've never been on a HAL ship, but I've learned a thing or two about deck plans. (and of course, I could be wrong - since they aren't blue prints) - if you look at deck 4, just forward of the aft staterooms, there is a big white section (in the center). We found out, too late, on the Diamond Princess, that the white was a ventallation section for the ships garbage. Guess what smell we were greeted with when we were in port? The vents also made a loud roar when the ship was moving. Granted, I don't know - that white section might be storage or steward rooms...maybe someone else would know for sure.

Have a great cruise!

Shar

I was in 5187 and will be again 3 weeks from right now and I have actually been in 6154, one of the the CC members from our Roll Call had that cabin so we saw it. There is very little cover,maybe just a two or three feet. Now On the side it is covered but while the ship is moving it is extremely windy on the side. Even though the deck is NOT covered the size of the balcony is wonderful and you will really enjoy it.

I will be looking for your comments for #5187. We are in this cabin next month. I have seen photos of the balcony. Very impressive. The cabin looks kind of small but the balcony looks like it will more than make up for it.:)

I will be looking for your comments for #5187. We are in this cabin next month. I have seen photos of the balcony. Very impressive. The cabin looks kind of small but the balcony looks like it will more than make up for it.:)

You will love 5187:) yes the cabin is a bit smaller than a mid ship S Suite but it actually has a nicer lay out with where the second set of closets are next to the bed. Of all the HAL ships we have been on we still prefer 5187 on the Oosterdam.

We're cruising 2/23. We have SB 7132 which I think is an aft. DH did the picking and I just let him be. (Quite unlike me if I do say.) Frankly I'm looking forward to sun! We have had sun here but also very bitter temps to make me stay in and only open the blinds some days. Guess my old straw hat will get more duty. ;) OK ...I have to ask what is this Yum Yum bz?? -Bobbie

Hi Shipluvr!

I've never been on a HAL ship, but I've learned a thing or two about deck plans. (and of course, I could be wrong - since they aren't blue prints) - if you look at deck 4, just forward of the aft staterooms, there is a big white section (in the center). We found out, too late, on the Diamond Princess, that the white was a ventallation section for the ships garbage. Guess what smell we were greeted with when we were in port? The vents also made a loud roar when the ship was moving. Granted, I don't know - that white section might be storage or steward rooms...maybe someone else would know for sure.

Have a great cruise!

Shar

We were in the equivalent area on Westerdam, and I think that white space is a utility area for the stewards. In any event, it didn't emit any noises or smells that I noticed.

We were in the equivalent area on Westerdam, and I think that white space is a utility area for the stewards. In any event, it didn't emit any noises or smells that I noticed.

Hi 02b@c!

Great news - thanks very much for letting us know.

Shar

The aft cabins are great. We had one on the Westerdam and found that about half of the verandah is covered and the other half is not.

The configuration of the Oosterdam and the Westerdam is a bit different. The Westerdam has the aft modification that is more "upright" than the Oosterdam (which the O will get when it is in dry dock next year). There is more balcony overhang/shading on the Westerdam and the Noordam at present than on the O.

I've been in VB4183 on the Zuidy, and can't say enough good about her. We had plenty of shade for me and sun for DH. The amount of shade seemed to be the size of a typical balcony. No smell ever, a little shame shame to someone who has not experienced HAL aft to start a rumor like this. I prefered lower for 3 reasons. 1. Farther from Lido for the occasional blow down of pool side garbage (seemed to happen to upper 3, but not 5 or 4) 2. Farther from Lido deck, feels like less people are looking at you. (8 would be a bit close to the crowd fro me!) 3. Closer to the dining rooms!

I've been in VB4183 on the Zuidy, and can't say enough good about her. We had plenty of shade for me and sun for DH. The amount of shade seemed to be the size of a typical balcony. No smell ever, a little shame shame to someone who has not experienced HAL aft to start a rumor like this. I prefered lower for 3 reasons. 1. Farther from Lido for the occasional blow down of pool side garbage (seemed to happen to upper 3, but not 5 or 4) 2. Farther from Lido deck, feels like less people are looking at you. (8 would be a bit close to the crowd fro me!) 3. Closer to the dining rooms!

I'm sorry if you felt I was starting a rumor - the info I passed on about the Diamond Princess was correct. I was only trying to make sure people research info on those white areas and did leave two disclaimers. I'm really hurt by your comments.

I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, but we all know things vary greatly from ship to ship. Since the poster was looking for information specific to HAL, IMHO, I think it's not fair to make comparisons to other lines. That type of comment may make me think twice about it, unless I was very careful in reading that your information was true to a Princess ship, and not HAL.

But really, I was not intending to or trying to hurt your feelings, just trying to be very clear for the OP.

You will love 5187:) yes the cabin is a bit smaller than a mid ship S Suite but it actually has a nicer lay out with where the second set of closets are next to the bed. Of all the HAL ships we have been on we still prefer 5187 on the Oosterdam.

The verandah is just so huge that it feels like a 2nd living room area. Surprisingly, while the ship was sailing, there really wasn't too much wind on the main verandah area. The side verandah was another thing entirely. The only time I used it was in port when I needed some shade. And no smells from any ventilation system. Some mornings, the cushions seemed a little more damp than usual. Silly me for not just bringing them in at night!

Some mornings, the cushions seemed a little more damp than usual. Silly me for not just bringing them in at night!

Yes, I keep forgetting to mention that the cushions mysteriously become damp during some nights. I learned to bring one in for myself.

Did you have any "soot" on your corner? I had a VA right in the middle of the stern and would get flecks/little pieces of soot on the furniture and deck. Had to make sure to clean off the cushions before sitting on them. I still *loved* the cabin though.

I had Suite #7133 - corner aft on the Oosterdam three weeks ago - cabin is indeed smaller than the SA's but the Verandah is wonderful. We had 4 additional connecting cabins up the side so it was a great, long, open feeling. Wind is indeed a problem on the side of the ship but 7133's aft position blocks most wind. We did have some soot on the deck and chairs. For sun destination cruises I recommend the aft corner (although not sure what it will look like after the "O" gets her "aft lift" but I'd prefer the SA cabin size on most other cruises.

Archived