What do you do with a broken foot & 2 toodlers on a cruise!

CruisingFamily4

Here it is two weeks before we are schedule to go on the Legend and I just got back from the emergency room with a broken foot!!!! I realize in the scheme of things this is so minor. However, with all that in perspective I am so angry that it is going to mess up my vacation (one week cruise and a week in Disney World). I also have a 2 & 3 year old - I only hope they will cooperate and attend camp carnival. The bright part of this - is that I am all packed for the kids and my stuff is almost done! I guess I am just venting!!!

OK...I don't know how old you are..but that doesn't really matter because the foot takes LONGER than you think it will to heal! I have been in a Boot/Cast for 3 months...I am 57 so not as young as you are...but the bones in the foot are really delicate and hard to heal...so please...take this really to heart...because this can be a very long healing process ....LuAnn

About 18 years ago when I was a kid, my mom hurt herself right before our Disney World vacation and when we went to Disney/Epcot she had to be in a wheelchair. It was GREAT. We did not have to wait in one line, she got wheeled right up to the front of the line and we all got to go with her.

I can totally relate to your situation...not the injury but the rest of it. I leave on Tuesday for 6 days at WDW and then a cruise with a 2 and 4 year old. If I broke my foot right now, I think I'd cry. The best advice I can give you is to look upon it as a bit of insurance that you will truly have a relaxing vacation. The Disney part may be a bit tricky, but I'm sure you can get a bit of special treatment with the wheelchair. Once on board, I'm sure your kids will love camp carnival. Are you traveling with your spouse/significant other? This is the time for that other to step up to the plate and do a bit more of the daily grind to make sure the kids are handling everything well. I'm worried that my newly 2 year old will be aprehensive to go to camp carnival but I'm hoping that because his sister will be in the same group with him, he'll feel more secure. I'm sure the same thing will happen for your children. They'll be together and they'll be happily running off for some fun before you can even write down your cabin number. Get a wheelchair for the ship, I'm sure the kids will love riding on your lap in it. Maybe you'll be better off toning down any excursions you had planned and spend most of your time on a nice lounge chair on the beach. This is where the DH/Other steps up to the plate and does all the sand castle/water time with them. I'm sure with kids that young, you probably only planned to do beach excursions anyway.

I typed a lot more than I intended. I just wanted you to know that I can sympathize with your plight and if it were me, then I'd just go and make the best of it and if you're anything like most women, don't try to keep doing it all. It's OK to let someone else take over. You've got all the leg work (pun!) handled, the planning, packing, etc. Just sit back and let yourself be rolled around and enjoy some one on one time with your kids. It very well may be the catalyst to make this a very special family vacation. :D Good luck!

Last year, i broke my ankle on Dec 15, and had a trip to disney world planned with my 12 y/old and 16 y/old for Christmas week. (no spouse along)

I had to have surgery (plates and pins in my ankle) and really didn't have a choice but to cancel. I was devasted and felt really bad, mostly for the kids...

Instead of completely cancelling, i rebooked everything for easter and we had a great time. By then i was just limping but i was able to do just about everything.

Maybe you want to consider rebooking if you have trip insurance.

do you really want to be doing disney in a wheelchair? you cant do crutches... way too much walking.

Good luck!

Well, bless your little heart. Sorry this happened, but what I'd suggest is PRAY....hard.:D Let hubby take over with the kiddies, get them to Camp Carnival as often as humanly possible, and tell him you need some extra TLC.

Ahh, what a bummer. I don't even know what I would do with two toddlers and a broken foot at HOME, let alone on a cruise... I hope you have lots of help and remember not to push yourself. Us moms have that tendency... You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Don't cancel!

My best friend broke her ankle right before we took a trip to Disney together!

She got a wheelchair and we ended up at the front of the line for everything. It actually made the trip smoother.

She tried to walk a couple of hours our first day at Disney but her foot started swelling and became quite painful. A Disney cast member is the one who told us to go get a wheelchair.

As for the cruise, time for R&R and let hubby handle the toddlers.

Archived