Save the Queen!

Calliope

It is now official!  At a signing ceremony in Washington, DC the president signed into law S-140 the bill which has an amendment which would once again allow the U.S. National Historic Landmark, Steamer DELTA QUEEN  to travel once again overnight on the much fabled Mississippi River System. The boat's owner The Delta Queen Steamboat Co. www.deltaqueen.com reports that after a complete refurbishment the DELTA QUEEN will return to service in 2020.

I’m very excited about the Delta Queen finally getting the exemption from the Safety of Life at Sea Act.  It is expected that she will finally be doing cruises again on the Mississippi in 2020.  Her home port will be Kimmswick Missouri (pop. 157) and this exemption is big news here.

• Thanks 1

The stern line telegraph is saying that her inaugural trip will be from Kimmswick to Cincinnati.  I'll be on her for that cruise as the rivers traveled are quite beautiful and the townfolks along the way will be celebrating her return to service too.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Calliope,  we hope to be on that cruise also.  Have you heard any more of when that might be?  I have registered to get updates and info on when they will start taking reservations, but have received no info yet. 

I must admit that as excited as I am that we will be cruising on the Delta Queen, I am equally as excited to meet you in person!  I have benefited from so many of your posts here on Cruise Critic.