cracking a maine lobster

musicmansmom

Rich - I haven't "seen" you in forever. Hope that you and your family are doing well. Are you still a professional student? I need to get motivated to complete my masters - only a few classes left.

We will be going on a Eastern 8 day cruise the end of October - It should be fun - we just found out that it is a Elvis Theme cruise. Should be interesting! (although I like some Elvis, I'm not a giant fan).

Jan

Hey Jan, should be earning my Bachelor of Social Work degree at the University of Southern Maine this December. What would your master degree be in?

We are cruising on Mariner Eastern at the end of July. Son's high school has interfered with our October cruises so now we have to cruise during the higher priced seasons. Decided to save money by not doing any high priced shore excursions.

BTW, the Cat is finally here today. This means r/t weekend high speed ferry service to Nova Scotia from Portland.

The poor lobsters legs have been neglected on the thread. I have to save mine for last. There is nothing better than gorging yourself on lobster meat than than sitting back & sucking the last bit of meat out of that poor lobster :D !

Rich - congratulations on being so close (as much as I love school, sometimes it seems to take so long to finish) - my masters is in business (I'm an accountant)- I really don't have that many classes left, but kids/work seems to be getting in the way!

I'm hoping that 2007 will be the year that we will at least be able to take the youngest with us - I'd like to do July-August Western - he will be almost 16 by then and I know he would have a blast. We will see, its been a bumpy few years - like so many other people just when one feels as if it is all coming together - life seems to take a new direction. BUT I have a great dh, and 3 amazing kids, I am truly blest.

Have a wonderful summer and a good cruise - keep posting (I can give advice on the Bar Harbor area, but don't know Portland as well). Take care. Jan

hi everyone

once again i want to say thank you so much for so many wonderful and informative help with my '' first time of eating real lobster the correct way '''. my companion will not be able to go with me so i will be on my own in the ports to get my fill of the lobster. this will not stop me :D though . i cant wait to get on the cruise and see this wonderful part of the country and eat all the delicious seafood it has to offer.

if anyone else is going solo and wants to have a meal with me in one of the ports--boston, portland, st.john bay n.b. and halifax on the sept 9th victory cruise just let me know. it is always better too ''' make a pig of your self with someone else '' than alone.:D :D :D .

thanks again guys

Sorry you will be solo, but you will still have a great time!

thanks for the concern for my being solo :) . i love cruising along. i have lived alone for many years and am used too doing on my own. my very first cruise was a solo and it was fabulous. i know i am going to have a wonderful cruise and enjoy the ports. maybe someone on the ship will also want to set at a picknik table with me and have a lobster also :D . you never know.

• 3 weeks later...

It's interesting to see all the different ways even us natives eat lobster!

Personally, I do the legs first. Just twist off each one and chew from the bottom (like a straw) and suck all the meat out. Then comes the claws, making sure to get all the knuckle meat out. Last is the tail. If you have a larger lobster, sometimes the little flippers at the end of the tail have meat as well.

For those who have never eaten a whole Maine lobster, there are a couple of things you might not know.

If your lobster is full of coral-colored stuff, you have a girl lobster and those are her eggs. Some peole eat it, I don't.

The green stuff is called Tamale - a delicacy for a lot of people.

Small lobsters are more tender - once you get above about 1 3/4 lbs, they get kinda tough, and are a LOT more expensive.

If you do get a bigger one, you might want to crack open the body - again, some people love the meat in the bodies, some don't.

A soft-shell lobster is a lot easier to eat - usually you can crack or tear the shell with your bare hands. BUT, it has less meat in it. Hard shells are frequently more expensive, but have more meat in them. Also, you have to have nut-crackers, etc. to eat them, or they'll do a real number on your hands. This is because when a lobster first grows a new shell, it's soft and has room to grow.

It's really messy and a lot of fun to eat a fresh-steamed or boiled lobster. But when you're done, those little wet-naps won't do it - you'll really need to wash with soap and water, or you'll be sticky for hours!

If you have any questions, just let me know!

susan, WOW you really know how to get too the '' meat of the matter ''. :D sorry i couldnt pass that one up. but i definetely got alot of great info from your post. i am going to copy it so i can be really prepared for my first attempt at eating one. you know so many things about the lobster i would have never guessed. i will try to get a young one around 1 1/2 lbs and i will remember to wash well afterwards. im sure i am going to make spectacle of myself eating one for the first time. i will need to be at a table outside with a very casual eating atmoshere.

thanks so much for the help. i have gotten great '' eating '' help here for my first real lobster attempt :)

ocean boy,

i totally agree. it will make my eating of the lobster much more enjoyable when i get there just knowing i can do it without making a total mess of it. but i am sooooo ready for it now. my cruise cant get here soon enough :)

I am taking this same cruise in Sept 07, please write a review and let me know how you liked the Victory. I was on the Spirit ( our 25th wedding anniversary cruise and our FIRST cruise) in May 06 to Alaska! I loved cruising! I should say WE loved cruising! Hubby and I were thrilled!

Julie

I am taking this same cruise in Sept 07, please write a review and let me know how you liked the Victory. I was on the Spirit ( our 25th wedding anniversary cruise and our FIRST cruise) in May 06 to Alaska! I loved cruising! I should say WE loved cruising! Hubby and I were thrilled!

Julie

what a coincedence, i have been on the spirit twice to alaska. i love the inside passage. and now we will be on the same ship for our new englan/canada cruise :) . i love the spirit and want to be on her for a future cruise to the mexican riviera. i will write a review when i get back the middle of sept. i am only 81 days away from the cruise whoo-hoo.

i am booked on the legend for next april to go to the panama canal. i cant wait for that cruise either. i love to cruise and see the ports and what they have to offer.

i hope you had a wonderful 25th anniversary.

I usually eat the little legs first then the claws, which i promptly try to swap with my husband for the tail from his. Usually only gets me a 1/2 a tail for 2 claws. not a very good trade.

my husband puts a bit of vinegar in his butter.

He used to be a lobsterman outta Cundys harbor.

And we like the soft shell lobster better. We got 8 pound a 1/2's (2 per person, one is NEVER enough) lobsters for fathers day and went to my dads, cooked them in the turkey frier outside. and ate them on the deck at a make shift picnic table. mmmm with corn on the cob. Couldnt find any steamers, the place we get the lobsters sold out that morning and the local grocery store didnt have any either. The lobsters we had were hard shell (no soft available), they tasted good but were a PITA to get in to!!

So go for the twin lobster dinners! one is never enough and its usually only a few dollars more for that second one.

we did have some left over, and just picked them and my dad and his girlfriend had lobster rolls the next day for dinner. on hot dog rolls of course, with NO lettuce!!

that is 8, 1 1/2 pounders, each lobster was one and a half pounds.... doesnt look like that in the post above, looks like he had a lobster that was eight and a 1/2 pounds.

Yuck, can you imagine??? that lobster meat would be old and tough!!

when we were in vegas they had some "maine" lobsters in a tank that were like 10 pounds!! NO WAY would you get me to eat that!! and i dont think you can take them that big from maine waters, more like they were from canada.

that is 8, 1 1/2 pounders, each lobster was one and a half pounds.... doesnt look like that in the post above, looks like he had a lobster that was eight and a 1/2 pounds.

Yuck, can you imagine??? that lobster meat would be old and tough!!

when we were in vegas they had some "maine" lobsters in a tank that were like 10 pounds!! NO WAY would you get me to eat that!! and i dont think you can take them that big from maine waters, more like they were from canada.

yummmm. i am drooling here :p . thanks for the post. i cant wait to get there and dig into one of them. everybody has given such great help and i appriciate it so much. your cook-out sounds great. and i will go for the soft shell ones. :)

This is a cool thread!

When I eat lobster (Lob-stah) I go right for the claws!!!!! They are Sooooo Sweet! I break them off and start on the knuckles, pulling each little piece of meat out and put it into the BUTTAH! Then I CRACK the claw itself.... right in the middle of the claw. The I pull the meat out and put THAT into the Buttah. :-) Then I eat it! BUT FIRST! I slice open the foil covered baked potatoe ... add butter and sour cream and mashed it... then topped with Chives! TASTE! YUMM! Now, on to the lobster. :-) After the claws are gone... I Twist the tail from the body. You bend the fins of the tail back, break them off. Check and see if there's any meat in there. Then try to straighten out the tail with one hand, and use a lobster cracker to PUSH the meat OUT of the tail. Stick the cracker in the small end pushing the tail out the wide end. Get your fork, slice and dip a hunk into that buttah! YUM!!!!!

No one has mentioned Baked Stuffed Lobster?! Boiled is traditional and a great way to go BUT......... Baked stuffed is awesome too! The wholelobster is served to you BAKED and usually stuffed with a stuffing including lobster and crabmeat. (sometimes more) And melted buttah on the side of course!

I hope I can join you all..............

Either way ..... Bon Voyage!

OH! OH!

When you find out what night(s) they will be serving lobster, tell you waiter the night before that you would like TWO!!!!!!

Archived