FV-8108 on Reflection

flynn37

Has anyone been in this cabin, or similar? Wondering if the balcony is going to be uncomfortably windy? Cruising Western Caribbean over New Year's... Also will we be super cramped if 4 adults each have a suitcase and carryons? Planning on two in the master bedroom, one in the second bedroom, and one on the pullout couch. Hope we won't be climbing over each other and our luggage constantly!

Edited by flynn37

My family of 4 adults have been in the S-class Deck 8 FVs a total of 4 times (Eclipse x3 and Solstice).  We will be in Reflection FV 8107 for our Jan 4th cruise (less than a month away!).

It's a great cabin with plenty of space for 4 adults and all of their luggage.  Our sleeping arrangements are exactly as you described.  My wife and I are in the MBR while our adult daughter is in the 2nd bedroom and our adult son prefers sleeping on the couch (I don't think it is a pull out).  The cabin is absolutely huge and even though it is well furnished, there is still a lot of empty floor space.  

We are able to store much of our family's luggage under the master bed (with the small luggage nested inside the bigger ones).  The 2nd bedroom could adequately store my daughter's luggage and carry ons.  There was a nice dresser table in the main living area for my son to put away his clothing.  A couple of times he simply stored his suitcase upright against the wall next to the fiscus tree.  

The real drawback for this quad cabin is the the bathroom is the same standard sized, standard appointed bathroom that you will find in the other veranda, outside, inside cabins.  And sometimes 4 adults can easily share this bathroom and sometimes not.  Fortunately it has never been a problem for us.

Also this very large cabin is equipped with the same (small) number of electrical outlets that you find in a standard sized cabin.  The only outlets are located by the desk.  And there is a light duty outlet in the bathroom.

Here is a scaled floor plan that I drew up based on the measurements I took in our Eclipse FV 8107 cabin.  Note that the FVs are not consistently furnished the same way from ship to ship.  Solstice had a lot less furniture than Eclipse and I have seen photos of Silhouette FVs with more furniture than what we had aboard Eclipse.  I expect Reflection to be on the furniture-rich side like Silhouette because it seems like as each new S class ship was built, Celebrity decided to improve things by taking advantage of the large floor space and putting in more furniture for a cabin designed to hold 4+.

Because the FV is on the corner of the ship, it has 2 very large windows that look out over the bow of the ship in addition to the standard floor to ceiling glass sliding balcony door that looks out the side of the ship.  So it is a very bright cabin with very nice views.

The balcony is also very nicely sized.  It is the standard depth but it is wider than normal.

Eclipse FV8107 Scaled Floor Plan.jpg

Edited by mahdnc

The balcony is very sheltered and it was not windy.  It is hard to describe: because it is the first balcony on the side of the ship, the balcony area closest to the bow is protected on 3 sides by steel so it serves as a nice sheltered alcove if you so desire.  The balcony transitioned to a more normal balcony the further from the bow you got--a nice glass wall with handrail on the sea side of the balcony with a balcony divider wall that separated the balcony from the adjacent cabin balcony.

Here is one photo that I have access to that I will post of our Eclipse FV MBR.  I will post more as I find them and/or when I get home from work.

A98C3774-E338-49D9-896F-7CCD9DEAF152.jpeg

Eclipse FV 8108 MBR.  Note that the dresser by this window in 8108 was not located there in 8107 (drawing).  Instead it was located by the balcony door in 8107 as shown on the drawing.

Edited by mahdnc

Here are two panorama photos that I took of the FV cabin interior and balcony:

6B370289-B86A-4210-978E-629C37BB325A.jpeg

Eclipse FV 8108

A85E6F00-80BF-412E-AC98-B8A7C64FBF67.jpeg

Eclipse FV 8108

1901855C-7FD1-4F2A-9609-A76D5D6F9A38.jpeg

Solstice FV 8108 2nd bedroom

855A193B-554C-4F4D-BA63-44786D4E7CCF.jpeg

Solstice FV 8108 bathroom

Edited by mahdnc

ok, here are some more photos:

DSC_6204.JPG

Eclipse FV 8107 living area and dining room.  I don't believe this bed pulled out.  The dining table was very handy for eating our breakfast as we had it delivered to the room on the days we were at port. Or you could eat your breakfast out on the balcony, although the table there was not large.

DSC_6199.JPG

Very large cabin, but only one set of electrical outlets and one TV (both located near the desk)

DSC_6224.JPG

The dresser in the back of the photo under the framed print is great for storing clothes for the person that is sleeping in the living area.

DSC_6230.JPG

There is a tremendous amount of floor space near the window.  The windows are large and let in a lot of light.  Sometimes you had to draw the shades closed to keep the sunlight from heating up the room.

2013 Eclipse Cruise 081.JPG

Eclipse FV 8107 balcony was awesome.  It wasn't windy when sailing.

Eclipse FV8107.jpg

FV 8107 balcony is circled.  You can see how the balcony is wider than the rest of the balconies and you can see the area of the balcony that was especially sheltered from any wind, rain, and sun.  And, no, the overhanging bridge above the balcony was not a big deal.

Edited by mahdnc

One more batch of photos.

DSC_6335.JPG

Eclipse FV 8107.  This is the best photo I have of the balcony area that is well sheltered and should allay any concerns that you have that it might be too windy when you are at sea.

IMG_0825.JPG

Magnets will stick to all of the walls in the cabin as well as the main door.  So we used tiny magnets to hang up invitations, the ship's daily, shore ex tickets, etc.  Heavy duty hook magnets came in handy to hang hats, bags, etc.

IMG_0988.JPG

Our 6 ft son enjoyed watching TV from his bed and sleeping in.  The cabin steward would lay a mattress on top of the bed.  I think the mattress was borrowed from the unused upper bunk in the 2nd bedroom.

FV 8107 windows.jpg

The two enormous windows of FV 8107 that look out over the ship's bow.

Edited by mahdnc

MAHDNC, I can not thank you enough for all these photos and super detailed information! Tips like these are priceless - about the magnets (who would ever have thought of that??) and the mattress on the couch, the room heating up with all the windows (we will close those curtains when we go out!) etc. I think it will be perfect for us! 

Just one thing that has me worried - you said the only outlets are by the desk. So there are none in the bedrooms? To charge phones or plug in CPAP machines? That could be a real problem... I think I'd better call Celebrity and discuss this. I mean the phones and kindles, that's just an annoyance. But the CPAP machines, that's a big deal!

Thanks again, SO SO much!

Amy

9 hours ago, flynn37 said:

MAHDNC, I can not thank you enough for all these photos and super detailed information! Tips like these are priceless - about the magnets (who would ever have thought of that??) and the mattress on the couch, the room heating up with all the windows (we will close those curtains when we go out!) etc. I think it will be perfect for us! 

Just one thing that has me worried - you said the only outlets are by the desk. So there are none in the bedrooms? To charge phones or plug in CPAP machines? That could be a real problem... I think I'd better call Celebrity and discuss this. I mean the phones and kindles, that's just an annoyance. But the CPAP machines, that's a big deal!

Thanks again, SO SO much!

Amy

Yes there is only one set of plugs and it is located by the desk.  There is a light duty electrical outlet in the bathroom.  That is it.  No plugs in either bedroom.  Here are 3 pictures that tell the story:

DSC_8087.JPG

Here are the only set of outlets (besides the one in the bathroom) by the desk.  You get two American 3 prong plugs and one European plug.  If you bring a European adapter, you pick up a 3rd electrical outlet you can use.  We used a multiple USB charging station that occupied one of the plugs to charge up all our phones, cameras, battery packs.  I used a heavy duty battery pack by my bedside to power up my phone and watch at night because I have to have my phone next to me!

IMG_1468.JPG

Here is the light duty electrical outlet in the bathroom.  It is hard to tell from the photo, but it is mounted right by the light above the sink (and it looks like it will not except polarized plugs--where one prong is wider than the other).  The outlet itself is facing down towards the sink from above.  It is meant to handle electric shavers & toothbrushes.  Your hairdryer pulls to much electricity to be used here.

DSC_8060.JPG

If you look at the very photo I posted of the MBR earlier in this thread, you will see an orange electrical extension cord on the bed.  It is partially pictured above in the close up photo.  This stateroom attendant put this on our bed because we had requested (before the cruise) a set up for our CPAP.  The ship provides distilled water for you and this cord which is used to power the CPAP from the electrical outlet by the desk.

Edited by mahdnc

A couple of other well known tips for S-class ship cabins are applicable for the FVs:

We brought a collapsible ottoman storage cube which allowed you to store loose items and also use as a foot rest (for both inside the cabin and on the balcony).

We brought an over-the-door shoe organizer which comes in handy for storing more than just shoes.  It allows you to organize your things. 

And finally, we brought several collapsible storage cubes (pictured below) that neatly fit in the overhead storage cabinet above the bed in the master bedroom.  

Some of this extra storage stuff we bring is a bit overkill, but it comes in handy when my family of 4 takes our 12-14 night cruises in this cabin......

2013 Eclipse Cruise 103.JPG

2013 Eclipse Cruise 104.JPG

Edited by mahdnc

On 12/17/2018 at 9:34 AM, mahdnc said:

Yes there is only one set of plugs and it is located by the desk.  There is a light duty electrical outlet in the bathroom.  That is it.  No plugs in either bedroom.  Here are 3 pictures that tell the story:

DSC_8087.JPG

Here are the only set of outlets (besides the one in the bathroom) by the desk.  You get two American 3 prong plugs and one European plug.  If you bring a European adapter, you pick up a 3rd electrical outlet you can use.  We used a multiple USB charging station that occupied one of the plugs to charge up all our phones, cameras, battery packs.  I used a heavy duty battery pack by my bedside to power up my phone and watch at night because I have to have my phone next to me!

This is the best most detailed info I have ever seen! I called Celebrity to discuss this. The person I spoke to knew nothing about anything, and had to keep putting me on hold for minutes at a time to find someone else who might know. She said I was supposed to inform them 30 days in advance that we had CPAP equipment. I couldn't find any info about that on the Celebrity website. I looked at the medical/disability section, and it didn't mention that. But they will supposedly be able to accommodate us with two extension cords and distilled water. I saw this on Amazon while I was ordering my magnets, etc. and hope it will work. It's a cruise ship power strip, ,with no extension cords and no surge protection. I am hoping we can plug one into each extension cord they give us, then plug CPAPs, phones, etc. into this device, so we can have outlets in the bedrooms! I'm guessing it will cover both outlets, but we'll bring a European adaptor so my daughter sleeping on the couch can have plugs also... I'm exhausted from trying to think of everything that will make this trip more organized and easier for us! Also bought over the door shoe and accessory bags, and if they don't work over the doors, I can stick them up with the heavy duty magnets, lol! Thanks again for everything!

On 12/17/2018 at 9:34 AM, mahdnc said:

CruisePowerStrip.jpeg

This is the best most detailed info I have ever seen! I called Celebrity to discuss this. The person I spoke to knew nothing about anything, and had to keep putting me on hold for minutes at a time to find someone else who might know. She said I was supposed to inform them 30 days in advance that we had CPAP equipment. I couldn't find any info about that on the Celebrity website. I looked at the medical/disability section, and it didn't mention that. But they will supposedly be able to accommodate us with two extension cords and distilled water. I saw this on Amazon while I was ordering my magnets, etc. and hope it will work. It's a cruise ship power strip, ,with no extension cords and no surge protection. I am hoping we can plug one into each extension cord they give us, then plug CPAPs, phones, etc. into this device, so we can have outlets in the bedrooms! I'm guessing it will cover both outlets, but we'll bring a European adaptor so my daughter sleeping on the couch can have plugs also... I'm exhausted from trying to think of everything that will make this trip more organized and easier for us! Also bought over the door shoe and accessory bags, and if they don't work over the doors, I can stick them up with the heavy duty magnets, lol! Thanks again for everything!

52 minutes ago, flynn37 said:

Sorry, I am having a hard time getting quotes and new comments and pics in the right place... 

No problem, many of us are getting used to working with the new website.  I never knew that there was a cruise ship power strip!  I may order one for myself.  There's no guarantee that it won't get confiscated by security no matter what the packaging says....

As far as the medical form, I had to search for it because the last time I saw it, it was on the old Celebrity website which has since been re-done.  I have always requested it thru my TA except for one time when I called directly myself to the Special Needs department.  I found the form.  The link is located here: medical needs (the form is in the "Get Special Needs Form" blue button in the upper half of the web page).  Here is the actual form: Celebrity Guest Special Needs Form.  Looking at the form, I see the 30 day language that you mentioned.  But believe me, for CPAP, they don't need 30 days notice to provide an extension cord and distilled water.

Btw, even the cabin ceiling is magnetic.  On occasion, I have put an inverted hook magnet on the ceiling to hang something very light--like hanging a shirt from the ceiling in the bathroom and turning on the hot water in the shower to steam out the wrinkles.

I hate to add one more thing to think about:  I also bring two door stop wedges. If you leave the MBR door open, it will slowly swing around depending on the ship's movement.  So the door stop is useful in keeping the door in the open position during the day time. I think we use the second door stop for the 2nd bedroom.  For our very first FV (Solstice class ship), our stateroom attendant provided two wooden wedges for us to use to hold the door open.  I think it was in response to us casually mentioning that it was annoying that the doors wouldn't stay open.  So, I have thrown in a couple of cheap door stops into my suitcase for every cruise which you can get from Amazon for like less than $10 + free Amazon Prime 2 day shipping if you don't feel like making a trip to get them.  I suppose you can ask your stateroom attendant to provide them, if you prefer.

Anyway, please relax and enjoy your cruise and wonderful FV.  With or without the stuff you just bought, you will love your cruise and your awesome cabin.  It will be impossible to go back to a normal size quad cabin after that.

Finally--this will hopefully make you smile--here is a little story I posted on my last cruise photo review aboard an FV cabin on Solstice this past Jan (Great Barrier Reef Cruise).  I hope you like it: Solstice FV 8108 "missing" furniture.

David

Edited by mahdnc