Bahamas and passport from country of birth

pzico

I'm a bit confused about entry requirements to Bahamas. I'm going to have RCL cruise to Nassau soon, but noticed that in RCL website and also some official sources I found online seem to be explicitly mentioning that you need to have passport from country of your birth. In my case, I have been a citizen of another country for many years and don't have passport of my birth country. I travel quite a bit but never noticed this kind of requirement anywhere I've gone. Do you think they will enforce this rule, or am I fine with one of the best passports in the world although it's not my birth country? Any thoughts and personal experiences welcome. Thanks!

Where are you seeing this?  I looked on Royal Caribbean's website and it does not mention the passport needing to be from your birth country, just your home country.  https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-travel-documents-are-required-for-cruises-from-united-states-ports

Edited by CruisinCrow

This is due to how the Bahamian government views citizenship under their own laws. You’re good with a legal, valid passport from where you have citizenship.

For example, if you’re born in France and  become a US citizen with a US passport, you can use your US passport to travel to the Bahamas, as you would theoretically no longer be a French citizen.

(I’m pretending dual citizenship isn’t a thing to make this less complicated)

• 3 weeks later...

I think some people are confusing a concept of dual citizenship and having two citizenships... not the same thing.

If you acquire two citizenships at birth through your parents and the birth place, you have dual citizenship. For example, a child born in the US to two foreign parents whose country allows said child to gain citizenship by simply being born to his parents - this child will be a dual citizen. Unless they are diplomats - one citizenship only.

If you had one citizenship at birth and acquired another citizenship later on in life, you have two citizenships.

I happened to be born in country A, but never acquired its citizenship. Later in life I obtained citizenship in country B. Then I moved to the States, became a resident and later naturalized, so now I have two citizenships. However, I never had nor will I ever have a passport from the country of my birth. My country B passport expired many years ago and I was unable to renew it due to bureaucracy. Needless to say, I will be traveling to Bahamas on my US passport in about 3 months.