Amerisuites in FLL was a nightmare

jennew

Well Hyatt has ALREADY taken over... They bought AmeriSuites a year ago... At some point they're going to convert them all to "Hyatt Place" hotels, but unless I've missed it I don't know of a date yet when it's being done to this one.

Sorry, I have to respectfully disagree with Trent on this one. If you read through this thread, it was not only this one day but apparently many other days as well. There have been more than just a couple of posts from people on this thread and the same thread on the main board from many others that have had problems there. I had read some not so favorable reviews before we booked but decided to roll the dice and gamble. I wish I had taken them more seriously. I do not think this was an isolated incident although I do agree that this particular day was probably worse than the usual. I also did not expect a four star hotel. I expected a decent budget hotel, which this was not. Remember this was not a free room. We paid $129 for that room and budget or not that is a decent amount of money. I would at the very least expect to be treated with courtesy and respect. We were not.

Well I guess we lucked out again - we stayed their pre Wilma for $50 (priceline) and the room, service, cleanliness, breakfast and shuttle were = to that of a 4 or 5 star hotel. Compared to the Hyatt 66, which we stayed at 10 days later for $288, I wpould stay there again and not the Hyatt.

Ron

Um. Let me get this straight.

1. You are checked in late because some other group is taking too long getting out?

2. You get the "get out now or we will charge you extra" speech when you are requesting a little extra time getting out of your room.

Hmmm so I guess that those people the day before were charged for their extra time too? Where did that money go? It obviously did not go to the customers that were held up in their attempts to access the property.

This clearly seems like a clear case of theft on the part of the property. And if Hyatt DOES own this property already...then they can and SHOULD be held responsible.

I agree with the poster who said they were going to challenge the charge on the credit card. If that is done. You may possibly find some sort of an attempt at reconciliation by the hotel. Especially if there were that many rooms booked.

Phabric and others. I'm sorry but I was getting way too nervous about staying at this hotel and what we were getting for that amount of money. Just took a gamble on Priceline for a 4 star in downtown FLL and won the Renaissance for $80.00 per night for the nights of 1/21 & 1/22. I about fell of my chair--seriously! So, guess I'll do a review on the Renaissance when I get back.

Diane

We also stayed at Amerisuites on Jan 7. When we arrived around 5:00 the lobby was so full we could just about get in. We waited in line and witnessed one unhappy guest after another! When it was my turn the "trainee" who waited on me seemed to be having a problem finding us a room. Quite a bit of "private" discussion was going on behind the counter. Finally she came back and said that she had a room with a queen and a sofa bed. I responded that I had reserved two doubles and a sofa bed. She promptly said in a scripted manner that I may of requested that but they didn't have to give it too me! Never having heard this before and determind not to let anything ruin my cruise I said ok. My son and his grandfather would have to share, worse things could happen! Then she gave me my bill to sign and it was for $150.00 not the 120.00 I gotten thru the web site. I aked why and she seemed confused. Luckily I had my confirmation with me and I showed it to her. She quickly corrected the price. The room itself was ok. I belive it is a case of overbooking and understaffing. Hopefully things will get better because I think the location was great.

I am staying in this same place in March, I guess I will expect the worst

for the 9 hours we are staying I didnt want to pay over 100.00 and everything was well over that, the only plus for me is we arent going to

get there until midnight so my room should be ready;)

Im glad to be made aware of anything cause way before I booked I read all decent reviews, can wait to read the newest review.

Sorry yours wasnt good:(

There are 4 of us booked (2 rooms) into this hotel for Friday Feb 3. Cruise sails on Feb 4. Is there a grocery store near this hotel. We understand there are some restaurants close by. We would like to pick up some soda pop or beer. A Publix would suffice. As long as we can walk to the store, thats fine.

Bernie

We are booked for Amerisuites (Port Everglades) post cruise and want to know if the website pictures of the rooms, buffet etc... are accurate. They look like very nice, clean rooms, decent breakfast but the reviews that I have read are giving a very different impression.

There are 4 of us booked (2 rooms) into this hotel for Friday Feb 3. Cruise sails on Feb 4. Is there a grocery store near this hotel. We understand there are some restaurants close by. We would like to pick up some soda pop or beer. A Publix would suffice. As long as we can walk to the store, thats fine.

Bernie

EVERYTHING is close by... There's a very nice brand new Publix next door, behind Embassy Suites. There's a side entrance to the strip mall it's in across the street to the east, and just slightly south, of AmeriSuites.

Berniez

I stayed here last February. Coming in on a Friday is so much better than Saturday. Hopefully you can get there by 6pm as last year the hotel was booked up full by 8:30pm and turning away the overbookings. We stayed 2 nights (met up with some cruise board friends) and were on the first floor. Our room had recently been upgraded with new carpets and bedding. Not the fanciest place but clean and nice enough. The lobby does get crowded and packed with all the cruise ship passengers over the weekend. Since it's 4 of you, I'd recommend 2 cabs versus the shuttle unless you are in no hurry to get to the ship. It was less than $10. They will call for you at the front desk. I had them call for 3 taxi's and it took no time.

There is a brand new publix within walking distance on the same side of the street. The opposite side of the street has a liquor store. If you want to go to on the water taxi, the shuttle driver will take you down to pick it up but it's a good 3-4 blocks to walk back. There's a restaurant on the opposite side of the street about a block to your left which has the largest calizones I've ever seen. It's kind of like a mom & pop place - not fancy but good. The Mexican Restaurant next to the Amerisuites is very good. They have $1 drafts in the evening. :) Also a self-serve ice cream machine that our friends enjoyed.

Sorry Jenn's experience was bad but I'm not suprised. The sheet situation was unexcusable. The delay's unfortunately do happen.

Well I guess we lucked out again - we stayed their pre Wilma for $50 (priceline) and the room, service, cleanliness, breakfast and shuttle were = to that of a 4 or 5 star hotel. Compared to the Hyatt 66, which we stayed at 10 days later for $288, I wpould stay there again and not the Hyatt.

Ron

Ron, your $50 rate was for Off Season not peak.

what to do??? With all the negative talk concerning amerisuites, I am wondering what to do. I am booked at amerisuites on 2/23 and 2/24 but also have reservations at the hampton inn-downtown city center. Hampton inn rate is less and i have a rental car. Any suggestions?

what to do??? With all the negative talk concerning amerisuites, I am wondering what to do. I am booked at amerisuites on 2/23 and 2/24 but also have reservations at the hampton inn-downtown city center. Hampton inn rate is less and i have a rental car. Any suggestions?

I assume you mean this Hampton Inn... http://www.hamptoninnftlauderdale.com/

If you have a rental car I'd go with the downtown Hampton Inn over AmeriSuites as it IS a much nicer hotel. It's a VERY nice newer Hampton Inn about 10 minutes from the port/airport area. There's not really much right around it like there is with AmeriSuites, but with a car that's not really a problem as it's a very short drive to everything you could possibly want. Las Olas, Riverwalk, the beach, every type of restaurant, plus shops, grocery, drug & liquor stores are all within 5-10 minutes of there.

What does that have to do with it - I was comparing the value/dollar - and the Amerisuites was a far better value than was the Hyatt 66.

Ron

The other posters were complaining they recently paid $129 for the Amerisuites which is peak season. You paid $50 pre-Wilma, which is OFF season for your Amerisuites room,

Well I guess we lucked out again - we stayed their pre Wilma for $50 (priceline)

it has everything to do with it. I'd be a lot more lax about a $50 per night dump than a $129 per night dump.

Archived