Germaine's Luau - cutting it too close?

Cyn874

My family is interested in doing the Germaine's Luau excursion in Honolulu, booked through Princess. I notice it ends at 10:15 but our ship departs at 11pm. To me, that's cutting it uncomfortably short. Since it would be booked through Princess, is there a 110% guarantee that if things run late and they get us back to port after 11pm due to unforeseen circumstances that the ship will wait for us? The website assures a return to the ship, but with less than an hour to spare, that seems like playing with fire to me.

Can anyone else who has done this excursion tell me how it worked out with getting back to close to departure time?

3 hours ago, Cyn874 said:

My family is interested in doing the Germaine's Luau excursion in Honolulu, booked through Princess. I notice it ends at 10:15 but our ship departs at 11pm. To me, that's cutting it uncomfortably short. Since it would be booked through Princess, is there a 110% guarantee that if things run late and they get us back to port after 11pm due to unforeseen circumstances that the ship will wait for us? The website assures a return to the ship, but with less than an hour to spare, that seems like playing with fire to me.

Can anyone else who has done this excursion tell me how it worked out with getting back to close to departure time?

According to their website's FAQs, Germaine's Luau ends at 8:45 p.m. and not 10:15.

How strange, this is what's on the Princess website: 

e69ba76efbec7964a2547a278be3b45e.png
https://*****/e69ba76efbec7964a2547a278be3b45e

When you say the website FAQ's, what website do you mean? I didn't find anything on Princess about specific times for Germaine's other than the screenshot above. The Excursion FAQs I saw on the Princess site are about excursions overall and not for any specific excursion.

50 minutes ago, Cyn874 said:

How strange, this is what's on the Princess website: 

e69ba76efbec7964a2547a278be3b45e.png
https://*****/e69ba76efbec7964a2547a278be3b45e

When you say the website FAQ's, what website do you mean? I didn't find anything on Princess about specific times for Germaine's other than the screenshot above. The Excursion FAQs I saw on the Princess site are about excursions overall and not for any specific excursion.

The following is from Germaine's website.  The 10:15 p.m. end of excursion could very well mean the time you are dropped off back at the ship, and not when the luau ends.

Germaine's Luau FAQs

Where is Germaine’s Luau ?

Germaine's Luau is a top Oahu luau, located 27 miles from Waikiki near the Barber's Point Lighthouse. The traditional Hawaiian luau is held on a scenic private beach.

Are there different Germaine's Luau packages?

Germaine’s Luau offers three different packages: Original, Pikake and Plumeria.

Are there vegetarian dishes at Germaine's Luau ?

A vegetarian entrée option is available upon request. You can also go down the buffet line to select any other dish that you may desire.

Do children under 3 have their own seat since they are free at Germaine's Luau?

Yes! Children under the age of 3 are free and can have their own seat and plate of food at the luau.

What time does Germaine's Luau start?

Gates open at 5:15 pm and the festivities begin at 6:00 pm.

What time does Germaine's Luau end?

The luau ends around 8:45 pm.

• Thanks 1

Thanks. Yes, it sounds like they are factoring in the time it takes to get everyone back on the bus and then drive back to port. 10:15 still makes me very uneasy, but maybe I'm fretting too much over nothing.

2 hours ago, Cyn874 said:

Thanks. Yes, it sounds like they are factoring in the time it takes to get everyone back on the bus and then drive back to port. 10:15 still makes me very uneasy, but maybe I'm fretting too much over nothing.

If it is of any comfort, the following is a quote from a Cruise Critic editor concerning missing a ship (and remember you would be in a group of passengers and hardly the only one the ship would be missing):

"If a ship-sponsored excursion is late returning to port for some reason, the ship will either wait for you, or the line will take financial and logistical responsibility for getting you to a subsequent port of call to meet up with your ship." 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Germaine's - I wouldn't go out of my way or pay big bucks for Germaine's.  When luau are discussed on the TripAdvisor Island of Oahu Forum - Germaine's is close to the end of the preferences.  I would look for a luau closer to Waikiki - or on another Island.   

20 hours ago, ljslight said:

My family loved Germaines. We have been to several others and Germaines was the best!

I agree. We loved Germaine's...I remember it being over after 8:45 though. They had a bus that took us back to our hotel (land trip) between 10-11pm.

But if you're on a ship tour, THE SHIP WILL WAIT FOR YOU AND THE OTHERS ON YOUR BUS.  Relax....that's how they sell their usually-more-expensive tours...they guarantee the ship won't leave without you.  🤩

• Like 1