Recommendations for first time cruisers

Mom7967

Good Evening...we are a family of 9 traveling from Boston to Rome in July to catch a cruise out of Civitavecchia. Our children purchased this as a gift for our 60th Birthdays. We are traveling with 2 children ages 8/5 and would like suggestions on where to stay a few days before cruise, what activities are a must see in Rome, easy and organized transportation that’s not too expensive to get from Rome to the cruise port and back again. 

We will be on a similar cruise in July.  What is your embarkation date in Civitavecchia?  We are on the July 10th cruise on Seaview.

The main "must see" sights are:  The Colosseum, the Forum and Palatine Hill, the Pantheon, Vatican City (St. Peters Basilica, the Sistine Chapel etc).  Those should be a good start.  Of course there are the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain.

I think it really depends what you are looking for - plenty of museums/art, landmarks and ruins, but I think sitting in a square eating lovely food, drinking some wine and people watching also is lovely.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

The Colosseum is a must and I would also suggest the Vatican which is fantastic even to see from outside. Ensure you book both online before you go and get guided tour otherwise you will queue for hours in the sun to gain entry. With online booking you just walk to front at allocated time.

i would get the train to cruise port as its cheapest and quickest but it f you have small children/heavy luggage get a transfer, there are plenty and best looking at trip advisor for reviews.