Premium Air Review

Run14

Hello everyone!  Given the promo, lack of recent experiences (at least in my searches), and likelihood of people wanting info I thought I'd share my experience on the free airfare promotion.  First, a bit about me/the situation:

Booked ~ 5 months in advance, 5 people in a 2 bedroom haven suite, weekend before Mardi Gras sailing out of New Orleans on the Breakaway.  DW and I flying in from LAX, sister/BIL flying in from BUR, mom flying in from TPA.  Haven gets all promos for first 2 people (I'm paying, so, dibs).  Booked online.  Because we're flying from LAX, there is no added cost (aka "reduced airfare").  Wife and I are NCL platinum, others are bronze.  After booking, we called NCL to setup the airfare.  Here we go.

The first rep we talked to seemed really confused and thought that we were going to have to add airfare for everyone (at a cost for guests 3-5).  When I questioned that she said it's a "firm rule" and a supervisor can't help.  HUCA time (Hang Up Call Again).  Next rep is clearly more seasoned - says it's not a problem and codes the profiles.  Makes sure to verify we want to fly out of LAX.  The flights default to the day before the cruise departure with a return the same day we end the cruise (sad face).  I asked if we can move that out a day to enjoy NOLA some, and she indicates we certainly can...for a cost.  She went over the cost ($100 per person) which wasn't a big deal because flights to the Big Easy during Mardi Gras peak season is insane.  She said to anticipate receiving our itinerary at 75 days out from departure. Cool.

75 days out: Nothing.  same for 74-60 days out.  The holidays were in there too so we didn't have time to follow-up.  My wife called in at T-60.  After waiting for 35 minutes (no exaggeration - not even a little) the rep said "oh yeah we have your flights - I'll send them now".  Delightful!  5 minutes later we get the email and, *drumroll* it's blank.  It says our names and airline/time/etc is all empty.  Not cool.  She calls back and now faces a wait of 1 hour and 14 minutes.  There was a lot of solitaire played, and we're so thankful that she had the time to hang in there.  Second rep confirmed, told her the flights, and waited on the phone until we received the email with all of the info.  

The result is that we actually got ideally timed, direct flights on Delta (our preferred carrier).  The cost to purchase the flights would have been $2,069.20 for the two of us.  Bonus kicker - the fare was booked into a fairly high fare class so we could choose better location seats at no cost, and upgrade to Comfort+ for 69$ each, which is pretty great for a nearly 4 hour flight. 

Bottom line: saved about 2 grand, but had to HUCA a few times and devote hours (plural) to get this done.  Wait times were super annoying, rep knowledge is mixed, and it seems like NCL was in no way prepared for this promo.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Run14 said:

Hello everyone!  Given the promo, lack of recent experiences (at least in my searches), and likelihood of people wanting info I thought I'd share my experience on the free airfare promotion.  First, a bit about me/the situation:

Booked ~ 5 months in advance, 5 people in a 2 bedroom haven suite, weekend before Mardi Gras sailing out of New Orleans on the Breakaway.  DW and I flying in from LAX, sister/BIL flying in from BUR, mom flying in from TPA.  Haven gets all promos for first 2 people (I'm paying, so, dibs).  Booked online.  Because we're flying from LAX, there is no added cost (aka "reduced airfare").  Wife and I are NCL platinum, others are bronze.  After booking, we called NCL to setup the airfare.  Here we go.

The first rep we talked to seemed really confused and thought that we were going to have to add airfare for everyone (at a cost for guests 3-5).  When I questioned that she said it's a "firm rule" and a supervisor can't help.  HUCA time (Hang Up Call Again).  Next rep is clearly more seasoned - says it's not a problem and codes the profiles.  Makes sure to verify we want to fly out of LAX.  The flights default to the day before the cruise departure with a return the same day we end the cruise (sad face).  I asked if we can move that out a day to enjoy NOLA some, and she indicates we certainly can...for a cost.  She went over the cost ($100 per person) which wasn't a big deal because flights to the Big Easy during Mardi Gras peak season is insane.  She said to anticipate receiving our itinerary at 75 days out from departure. Cool.

75 days out: Nothing.  same for 74-60 days out.  The holidays were in there too so we didn't have time to follow-up.  My wife called in at T-60.  After waiting for 35 minutes (no exaggeration - not even a little) the rep said "oh yeah we have your flights - I'll send them now".  Delightful!  5 minutes later we get the email and, *drumroll* it's blank.  It says our names and airline/time/etc is all empty.  Not cool.  She calls back and now faces a wait of 1 hour and 14 minutes.  There was a lot of solitaire played, and we're so thankful that she had the time to hang in there.  Second rep confirmed, told her the flights, and waited on the phone until we received the email with all of the info.  

The result is that we actually got ideally timed, direct flights on Delta (our preferred carrier).  The cost to purchase the flights would have been $2,069.20 for the two of us.  Bonus kicker - the fare was booked into a fairly high fare class so we could choose better location seats at no cost, and upgrade to Comfort+ for 69$ each, which is pretty great for a nearly 4 hour flight. 

Bottom line: saved about 2 grand, but had to HUCA a few times and devote hours (plural) to get this done.  Wait times were super annoying, rep knowledge is mixed, and it seems like NCL was in no way prepared for this promo.  

Thank you for this review. It was super helpful. One question... What do you mean when you say that they said at booking that air defaulted to day before? They were able to tell you this well in advance of the 75 Days?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, teeredi2cruise said:

Thank you for this review. It was super helpful. One question... What do you mean when you say that they said at booking that air defaulted to day before? They were able to tell you this well in advance of the 75 Days?

Glad it was helpful!  The 2nd (seasoned/knowledgeable) rep said that we would be departing the day before embarkation, most likely on a red-eye.  We thought it was oddly specific but we weren't too concerned because we wanted to change it anyway.  This was very shortly after booking, so many months in advance. 

Thanks for the feedback.

I wish NCL would upgrade their service to be like Royal/Celebrity where you can book it all online and so on.

It's also usually the best place for one-way international flights like you need for transoceanic trips.

Edited by pspercy