Holland America vs. Royal Caribbean.

lardan

Many of the comparisons on this thread have involved some of RCI's older ships (although at 8 years, I guess it is a bit of a stretch to call Vision of the Seas "old") or their megaship Voyager class ships. For a better comparison I would suggest trying the Radiance class ships (Radiance, Brilliance, Serenade and Jewel of the Seas) which, IMHO, present the RCI product in an optimal sized ship, with great features, food and service. I think that this class of ship might be viewed more favorably by those HAL enthusiasts looking for an alternative experience.:)

I have a slightly different opinion. Given a choice between HAL and RCCL I would choose RCCL. I prefered the meals and entertainment on RCCL over HAL. I also found that the staff on RCCL was very eager to please with a very pleasant attitude. On the HAL cruises I have taken I found it to be hit or miss with some of the staff. I cruise on HAL frequently because I group I enjoy cruising with always selects HAL as the cruise line. When I am cruising with other family and friends we choose RCCL.

Neither experience is "bad" both are wonderful, I think it comes down to personal preferences.

Linda

We are long time RCCL loyal cruisers. As has been mentioned before, the Radiance class ships are wonderful, and, in our opinion, offer, for us, the best cruising environment on RCCL. There are others who prefer the Voyager class ships. Nothing wrong with them, except we think they are too large and have too many passengers.

Having said that, we are exploring cruises on HAL. Why, because RCCL is "dumbing down" a lot of things. Their dress code now states that jeans are acceptable in the dining room on casual nights-which means we will probably see them on formal nights as well. (I'm not trying to start a dress code discussion here:).) The wine list is no where as extensive or diverse as it once was. The selection of wines by the glass is all low end wines-it is almost impossible to get anything decent unless you buy a bottle. RCCL makes no effort to enforce advertised policies: besides the dress code, they do nothing to enforce the no saving of pool chairs, and don't check the drinking age of some of the younger passengers to whom they sell alcohol.

We have cruised on Celebrity and while it has many attributes, we did not find their food to be that great. One cruise on NCL and we will never go back for more reasons than I can list.

HAL has received high marks from several friends and in speaking with other passengers on RCCL who have also cruised on HAL. We do want a cruiseline where there aren't 3000+ passengers on the ship, the passengers dress appropriately for dinner and where the number of children in the "off-season" is minimal. It sounds from what we have heard, the reviews I have read, and the comments on this board, that HAL provides what we want.

Hello,

I have gone on the Zuiderdam in 2004 - and absolutely loved it - only complaint was that our room was not very centrally located and Mom and I did alot of walking. We sailed on the Navigator of the Seas just this past December - and it was a very nice ship - but we are going back to HAL and have booked the new Noordam for November this year. We found the service and food to be much better on HAL. I never knew that HAL was considered a cut above until after we sailed RCI, and now we know why, because it is. I should say that on the Navigator - I took my 21 yr old son and his girlfriend, they had their own room and they just loved the entertainment and party atmosphere, and I don't know if they would have enjoyed HAL as much in that department. People tease me about the average age of HAL cruisers being 63, and I am 44. I didn't see that when I was on the Zuiderdam, but I don't think it is quite as lively as RCI. Then again I have not heard of anyone falling off a HAL ship so that is comforting as well.

Have a great cruise whichever you choose.

Its hard to compare RCCL with HAL, there, IMHO, is no comparison.

I haven't sailed RCCL, but I have a couple of friends who have and then sailed HAL. They all said HAL won hands down, from food to service to the cabins. She said the cabins are alot larger on HAL.

With that being said, if you weren't happy with RCCL, then give HAL a try, you may be in for a wonderful surprise.

The OP wrote the the choice was between a Veranda Suite(HAL) 389 sq ft and a JS (RCI) 364 sq ft. Not much of a difference. RCI has a walkin closet, HAL has a shower and a tub.

We've been on the Westerdam and are booked on the Navigator. From my research, the is significantly more to do on RCi, as far as ships amenities. I wasn't impressed by the cuisine on HAL, but did have high expectations. I won;t be expecting marvelous cuisine on RCI, having learned my lesson on HAL.

I wouldn't sat the difference between the 2 is the difference between a KIA and an ACURA. But I'm anticipating it to be the difference between a Buick LaSabre(HAL) and a Nissan Maxima(RCI).

• 1 month later...
Look forward to reporting when he get back in late March.

We did the Westerdam last year and will do Navigator of the Seas this March.

I'm willing to bet, we'll have a good time this year, ust like we had a good time last year.

As long as the weather is good and the seas are calm, a smile will appear.

Just back from the Navigator. I've cruised twice, last MArch on the Westerdam and this March on the Navigator of the Seas. I found the quality of the food and the service much better on the Navigator, my opinion. The only thing that was better on the Westerdam was the bed. Had a JS on the Navigator and an SS on the Westerdam, comparable cabins in size and appointments but the service was better on RCI.

Archived