Amsterdam drydock info: Verandah cabins deck 6

cruzingnut

Hi, I'm wondering what upgrades were done to the verandah cabins on deck 6 on the Amsterdam at it's dry dock last spring.  Specifically if they added any USB outlets and if they took out that nice medicine cabinet storage above the sink.  I really dislike those open shelves and the cabinet is great on a long cruise.  Anything else that anyone knows about would be good info also.  We are spending 4 months on her in a couple weeks!  :classic_biggrin:

Thanks,

Linda R.

My understanding is that all the Pinnacle, Neptune and Vista Suites got significantly refreshed.  Not sure on the USB ports, but the bathrooms would have been redone and have the open shelving.  Tubs were not replaced with shower only to my knowledge (though some Vista Suites were already shower only).  All rooms with verandahs on this ship are classified as Vista Suites or higher.

In addition there were some former category D oceanview rooms on deck 3 converted to Lanai cabins that got a total cabin/bath refresh with glass showers replacing the tubs and have the open shelving.  I think all the Deck 2 category C rooms and some DA rooms on deck 2 were given the full bath refresh as well, like the Lanai rooms, but the rooms were not redone much beyond that (new carpet maybe).

HAL is known for their patchwork approach to these things, so one can never assume 100% that anything will be consistent, and unfortunately Seattle seem to have ZERO knowledge of what the actual state of a particular room is, which astounds me .......

We just got off this morning. We were in a Neptune on Deck 7. There were USB ports in the table lamps as well as some next to one of the plugs. Don’t know about other cabins though so am not sure if that is much help. 

I would recommend bringing ear plugs as we found the Amsterdam to be extremely creaky in choppy conditions (incessant ceiling creaking). It kept us awake a lot.. 

our kids had an inside cabin and it was even worse for them.

otherwise a fantastic cruise...

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 12:17 AM, Avidskier said:

We just got off this morning. We were in a Neptune on Deck 7. There were USB ports in the table lamps as well as some next to one of the plugs. Don’t know about other cabins though so am not sure if that is much help. 

I would recommend bringing ear plugs as we found the Amsterdam to be extremely creaky in choppy conditions (incessant ceiling creaking). It kept us awake a lot.. 

our kids had an inside cabin and it was even worse for them.

otherwise a fantastic cruise...

Avidskier, can you tell me if the Amsterdam still has the self service launderette?   We will be sailing HAL for the first time in June and I see that the deck plans show a laundry room but I also read that a lot of the self service laundrys are being removed in dry docks.

4 hours ago, 2pbears said:

Avidskier, can you tell me if the Amsterdam still has the self service launderette?   We will be sailing HAL for the first time in June and I see that the deck plans show a laundry room but I also read that a lot of the self service laundrys are being removed in dry docks.

Defiantly self service laundries.  I used one this morning.  $2 to wash and free to dry.