Royal v NCL Haven

mra9955

Hi.  I'm looking for some thoughts and ideas from folks who have sailed in the Haven before.  We travel as a family of five (two adults, three young children) and so far have sailed on Disney (1 time), Celebrity (5 times), and Royal Caribbean (10+ times).  We are Diamond Plus on Royal.  We only travel in two bedroom suites.  Royal is becoming a disappointing let down in terms of perks and dining.  So I heard about the Haven being nice, but have also heard that NCL in general lacks in some areas.  So I'm curious if anyone with a similar family as done NCL's Haven and Royal's suites and how you think they compare.  We typically do a Caribbean cruise or two when it's cold here in the mid Atlantic and then a two week cruise in the summer in Europe.  Thank you!

We are like you and have only ever sailed in 2 bedroom suites (2 adults, 2 children).  We've been in the 2 bedroom suites on NCL Pearl, NCL Escape, the 2 bedroom Grand Suite on RCI Adventure OTS, and the 2 bedroom AquaTheater Suite on RCI Oasis OTS (star class).   I think we really like both lines equally, albeit for different reasons.  In summary, we feel Royal has better ships and NCL has better dining.  More detailed preferences of each line below:

Royal:

- The two bedroom cabins are bigger as are the balconies

- More activities on the ships (comparing similar size ships from each line)

- Better ship design; better flow

- Much easier to book excursions online and cancel/change/rebook when excursions go on sale

- More varied itineraries from which to choose (bigger fleet)

Norwegian:

- More complimentary and specialty restaurants (comparing similar size ships from each line)

- More items on restaurant/dining room menus

- More flexibility in times (we much prefer the 'freestyle' dining)

- Better food (although taste is subjective)

- No need to pack a garment bag as overall less formal

- Private space (pool, courtyard) in Haven

- The two bedroom cabins have a much nicer master bathroom (double sinks; shower overlooks ocean)

That's all I can think of right now.  Entertainment seems equivalent, as does service.