Luggage Tags

NW Pacific

We are flying in the day before our cruise, (Miami) is it best to put your tags from NCL on your luggage when you board from your originating departure city or wait until you get to Miami, spend the night and then put them on before going to the Pier? thanks in advance for info

Wait until you get to your depature port. Airline luggage sorting is an inexact science and you don't want extra stuff on there that might confuse someone (or something).

My DH also claims it gives me something "constructive" to do while I am obsessing during the wait!

Do NOT put on cruise line tags until you get your bags from baggage claim or right before you hand them over to the cruiseline. AND remove the airline tags at the same time. THEN remove the cruiseline tags when you collect your bags at debarkation before you turn them over to anyone else.

Our E-tickets said we would not get our luggage tags until we got to the port. This is the first cruise I have ever heard does this.

Has anyone else done it this way (normally they are sent to me weeks before we leave)

If you have, what did you do to get them? THANKS!

I believe it might vary from port to port. Which port are you leaving from?

We recently sailed on the Star out of San Pedro and there was someone standing at the curb with luggage tags. On advice from these boards we preprinted some labels and all we had to do was place those on the blank luggage tag given to us and then put them on our luggage and handed them off to a porter. Very easy. All you need on the tag is your name, ship name, and cabin number. Some people suggest putting forward or aft but the tag we received from the person at the curb already said whether our cabin was forward as that's the tag she gave us when we gave her our cabin number. I believe she had 2 different colors for forward or aft which just designated which part of the ship the luggage had to loaded through.

Like I said though this process varies from port to port. This was our experience at San Pedro in early December.

We are on the Sun out of Miami.

So we can just print our own tags? Last time we had color coded tags sent to us. This just seems unorganized. Trying to find someone at the pier to give us tags seems hectic....maybe I am just panicing for nothing...

I believe I have read that the porters at the Miami pier have the tags and so since you in all likelihood will use a porter anyway it shouldn't be that bad for you. You just want to make sure they write your cabin number correctly. That's why some suggest you just preprint your information on some labels and then all you have to do is slap that label on the tag the porter has and then you know it's legible and correct. But you don't need to. The porter can write the cabin # on the tag for you.

This is the age of e docs. Getting those edocs just isn't the same as getting that wonderful packet of actual ticket books and luggage tags.

I believe I have read that the porters at the Miami pier have the tags and so since you in all likelihood will use a porter anyway it shouldn't be that bad for you. You just want to make sure they write your cabin number correctly. That's why some suggest you just preprint your information on some labels and then all you have to do is slap that label on the tag the porter has and then you know it's legible and correct. But you don't need to. The porter can write the cabin # on the tag for you.

This is the age of e docs. Getting those edocs just isn't the same as getting that wonderful packet of actual ticket books and luggage tags.

I agree not the same.

about people writing their info at the dock. I can't imagine how many people must enter the wrong cabin number, [transposed numbers or whatever] where as the preprinted ones were USUALLY right unless someone changed cabins at the last min. etc.

well guess I will find out on Feb 4.

I would think doing it this way would cause many more problems.

Archived