What time to get back to ship???

cchickenh

Just got off the Star last week and in all the ports they wanted you back on board no later the 30 minutes prior to leaving....and they will leave without you.... :)

Have a good cruise!

Yes they will!!! Just back from the 12/29 Spirit sailing....they left without a few passengers

Wow...that is crazy that they will leave! I guess they can't just sit there and wait! What did those people have to do? And forgive my ignorance but what difference does it make if it is a tendar port? First time cruiser!

The ships are on a time schedule to reach their next port and also sometimes the port has another ship coming into the berth. (for example, last summer in Juneau, the Star could not dock until the Spirit left its berth. Therefore the Spirit could not be late leaving!)

If you miss the ship, it is then your responsiblity (and cost) to do what is necessary to reach the next port.

The one exception is if you are on an NCL sponsored shore excursion. If an NCL shore excursion is not back, they will hold the ship.

The inconsideration of some people is the reason for this rule. You can tell people a time and inevitably you have those that think the rule applies to everyone but them and are late and inconveinencing the other 2000 passengers!

Tender ports are those ports where the ship cannot dock and you have to use some of the lifeboats, called "tenders." They ferry passengers back and forth from shore. Most ports however are docking ports where you just walk off the ship.

Hey everyone,

About how much time do I need to give myself to get back to the ship after port days....If we are suppose to depart at say 6:00pm what time should we be back...

Thanks

before they leave would be a good time....

you can always hear the PA paging pax a few minutes prior to departure. I do believe on our last cruise some were left behind-bummer!

We've seen some take the pilot boat out to their ships in Coz before.

There are some scary stories posted here about misadventures by some who have missed the ship in foreign ports with no passports or credit cards.

On the Spirit last fall we saw some get left behind. I guess this wasn't the first port that they were late in returning to the ship. Some people just tend to run on their own clocks; who gives a rip about schedules. In that case, I'm almost glad to see them get left behind - teach 'em a little lesson!

These people who would complain that the ship left them behind are the same people who would complain that the ship didn't arrive in its next port on time. (If it had waited to take late returning passengers.)

I don't think there is anything in any one of those shops that is so important that I'd want to take a chance on not making it back to the ship in time.

Have fun!

Hikini:D

I have seen this happen a few times! Then you have to make you way to the ship! I saw some people hire a boat then have to climb up this tiny latter that was thrown overboard! Another port on this same cruise a few ladies had set there watches back a day early! They ended up missing the ship and had to also hire a boat they got luck the ship stopped and let them board via the tender docks. Rumor was Carnival was going to charge them some outrageous fee for the incindent. The ladies fought it due to a mixup! The cruise line had sent out a notice to turn your clocks back an hour, but the ladies recieved it on the wrong night! So they were happy, to be back on board!

We have a plan (sometimes we scatter in opposite directions on land) to stop whatever we're doing one hour before the ship leaves and either walk on board or get in line for the tender.

I require the kids to stop by my cabin or leave a message on the phone once they are on board. They don't go off the ship without an adult (uncle, grandpa, family friend) but I want them to touch base anyway because adults get distracted too :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone, I think we are going to adopt the hour rule as well. One of the excursions we are going on in ST.Thomas with Sunny Liston, and he said that the ship does change time. Has anyone had experience with this, I thought I read that they don't...

One more thought about your subject. If you are not participating in an excursion or something that would delay your return to the ship until the required boarding time, I would get back more than an hour early.

The reason being, the longer you wait until it is closer to sailing time, the longer the line is to get on the ship. We have been on deck looking down at the LONG lines sometimes as people are waiting and waiting to get back on the ship.

Also, if you're in a port where you don't really have much to do, and you're not interested in shopping either, I like staying on board the ship. It is so quiet and feels as if you have the place to yourself. It is a good time to wander about and take pictures of the public areas if you choose. You don't usually have people getting into your way as you try to take a picture, if you take your pictures during this time.

Have fun!

Hikini:D

Thanks everyone, I think we are going to adopt the hour rule as well. One of the excursions we are going on in ST.Thomas with Sunny Liston, and he said that the ship does change time. Has anyone had experience with this, I thought I read that they don't...

Ship's time will change, usually . . . we have seen exceptions. During daylight saving, some ports are not on it. Soooo, ship and shore time may not match - be certain to "syncronize watches" before going ashore.

Archived