Is the trip to Trinidad, Cuba worth it?

pauon

We have a limited stop in Cienfuegos, Cuba and the cruise line offers a trip to Trinidad.  Is it worth going to see or is staying in Cienfegos just as interesting?  This isn't the only stop in Cuba, will have stopped at two other ports.  Thanks in advance for your opinions.

its an interesting place but I would not say that this is night and day experience compared to walk/tour around Cienfuegos. For me the best part was the drive there, admiring countryside and stopping on the road to get some various fruits that they sell along the road. The air is clean and the hills are pretty. You will miss all that being in a bus. I do not regret we went but granted the distance of the drive you will be rushed to move along. If you stay in Cienfuegos you can just pace yourself and spend more time in your point of interest.

I agree with Tunafish. We returned yesterday from our Cuba cruise on Azamara Journey and in all cities visited - Havana, Cienfuegos, Trinidad and Santiago de Cuba, we had independent tours, all of which were just for my wife and me. All were less expensive than the ship-sponsored tours, a lot more personal and you were not cooped up in a bus or having to stick to the tour's schedule and itinerary.

We had a independent tour guide (Gio's Photo Tours, total cost $160 for the day) for our day in Trinidad. He met us just outside of the Cienfuegos ship terminal. My wife and I, Gio and the driver did the Trinidad trip in a nice air-conditioned taxi that was owned by the driver. The ride back/forth was very pretty and took about an hour each way. Trinidad was interesting and typical of the Cuban cities (i.e. don't expect anything lavish) and a nice city to walk around in. The tours in Havana and Santiago de Cuba also included being driven in a vintage car to get to the next place where you then walked with the tour guide(s), all of whom spoke excellent English. On our first day in Cienfuegos, we hired a bici-taxi, a bicycle powered rickshaw. The "driver' took us all over the city for 5 hours for $25/hour. He, too, spoke excellent English.

• Thanks 1

2 days in Cienfuegos would be a bit too much. One day there and a day trip to Trinidad is the right approach. We thought that the bici-taxi tour of Cienfuegos was great, and the city is small enough where we didn't feel riding in a bici-taxi was unsafe, like it might be in a larger city like Havana.

• Like 1

On 16/1/2019 at 7:53, SteveGT3 said:

Estoy de acuerdo con Tunafish. Ayer regresamos de nuestro crucero por Cuba en el viaje de Azamara y en todas las ciudades visitadas: La Habana, Cienfuegos, Trinidad y Santiago de Cuba, tuvimos visitas independientes, todas las cuales fueron solo para mi esposa y para mí. Todos eran menos costosos que las excursiones patrocinadas por el barco, mucho más personal y no estaba encerrado en un autobús o tenía que atenerse a los horarios e itinerarios de la excursión.

Tuvimos un guía turístico independiente (Gio's Photo Tours, costo total de $ 160 por día) para nuestro día en Trinidad. Nos recibió en las afueras de la terminal de barcos de Cienfuegos. Mi esposa y yo, Gio y el conductor hicimos el viaje a Trinidad en un buen taxi con aire acondicionado que era propiedad del conductor. El viaje de ida y vuelta fue muy bonito y duró aproximadamente una hora. Trinidad era interesante y típica de las ciudades cubanas (es decir, no espere nada lujoso) y una ciudad agradable para pasear. Las excursiones en La Habana y Santiago de Cuba también incluían ser conducidos en un automóvil antiguo para llegar al siguiente lugar donde luego caminó con el / los guía (s), todos los cuales hablaban un excelente inglés. En nuestro primer día en Cienfuegos, contratamos una bici-taxi, un rickshaw con bicicleta. El "conductor" nos llevó a toda la ciudad durante 5 horas por $ 25 / hora. Él también

www.tripadvisor.com/13317735