Kilts...formal???

scots

On the diamond princess on the Dec/Jan cruise to sydney there were a few scots folk wearing full scottish dress regalia (looked military) including kilts ,dirk in the sock , sporran, sashes and all the trimmings on the formal nights. Looked great and was definitely NOT informal. Im not sure if they went all the way , I never asked the tacky Q of what was under the kilt;)

I wore a mandarin style embroidered jacket (2 diff types ) on 3 of the 4 formal nights and got nothing but compliments on it. The first night I wore a dark suit and tie. I think so long as you look smart and folk can see you made an effort , wearing something apart from a tux is fine. I was actually amazed at the lengths some folk went to (the guys) with some really fancy jewelled studs , buttons , cufflinks , shoes etc. Was great to see just about everyone make an effort.

Does anyone know if kilts are acceptable attire for formal evenings on Princess?

scots yes,

I have seen them many times on formal night and they always look fabulous - more formal than the ship's staff. Quite acceptable.

On the diamond princess on the Dec/Jan cruise to sydney there were a few scots folk wearing full scottish dress regalia (looked military) including kilts ,dirk in the sock , sporran, sashes and all the trimmings on the formal nights. Looked great and was definitely NOT informal. Im not sure if they went all the way , I never asked the tacky Q of what was under the kilt;)

On our recent X transatlantic, one of our tablemates, from Glasgow, wore his kilt. I didn't ask either, but on the last formal night, his wife offered up a wonderfully racy poem about what was under the kilt. I remember only the last line - "A Scotsman's dirty bum"

Amy

Yes, when we first started cruising there were always kilts on formal nights. Lately I haven't seen any and was wondering why. Maybe is does have to do with luggage weight restrictions being lowered. I miss seeing the kilts.

Yes, when we first started cruising there were always kilts on formal nights. Lately I haven't seen any and was wondering why. Maybe is does have to do with luggage weight restrictions being lowered. I miss seeing the kilts.

We cruise often and almost always there are people in kilts on formal night.

Archived