Disembark/Embark by tender in Vancouver. How will Viking handle this?

Pushka

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Pushka,

You can normally drop off your bags outside  departures starting between 09:30 & 10:30. You can also drop bags at the Pan Pacific, who I believe charge about $5 per bag.

On dropping bags, you can head back up to the street level and spend time touring Vancouver. Upon return to Canada Place, you first clear security, then cruise line check-in, followed by US Immigration. You have no Customs/Immigration at any Alaska port.

After US Immigration, anyone that returns to shore has to go through Canada Customs and upon return to the terminal, after security you would go through US Immigration again. If tendering you to the ship at anchor, after US Immigration, they would need to take you down to the dock level and to the wharf, by bus. The Waterfront Road has public access, so Viking would be required to ensure all pax actually went to the ship, as technically you have already departed Canada and entered the U.S.

Yes thanks for the additional info. We will have been in Vancouver for four days by then and had planned to board at 11am and explore the ship as we are only on it 10 days. Going back into Vancouver instead would be disappointing as we will have covered the main areas, our hotel is in the Canada place area and it will be a case of ‘what do we do while we are supposed to be enjoying the ship’ kind of time. Husband also likes to get his first workout in the gym done in time for muster. 

6 hours ago, Insanityx4 said:

Pretty sure the cruise after ours will only go through Canadian Custom in Vancouver. I doubt very much if there will be US Customs Officials in Ketchican. You just show your room key when getting on and off the ship in Alaska. That has been our experience.

The cruise after yours (mine) has to exit Canada first and then enter USA which is done through Canada Place terminal. As we depart in Anchorage. So yes we go through both. 

6 minutes ago, Insanityx4 said:

Good to know. I am sure you have educated a lot of people including me. We have done Alaska in the past but only out of the US so never had to go through both Customs.

I guess I had to be up with it given I needed visas for both countries being an Aussie. Had we left from Seattle then easier but Vancouver is better. 

4 hours ago, Pushka said:

Yes thanks for the additional info. We will have been in Vancouver for four days by then and had planned to board at 11am and explore the ship as we are only on it 10 days. Going back into Vancouver instead would be disappointing as we will have covered the main areas, our hotel is in the Canada place area and it will be a case of ‘what do we do while we are supposed to be enjoying the ship’ kind of time. Husband also likes to get his first workout in the gym done in time for muster. 

Hope it all goes well and you can board by tender.

If tendering aboard isn't possible, it will be driven by Canadian Immigration, as once you go through US Immigration you are expected to go directly aboard the ship (Canada Place) or an aircraft (YVR).

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Hi!  Sorry to bring such an old topic back up, but will someone that was on this trip  let me know how the embarkation was handled?  Did you tender on or did you have to wait until evening to board?  There are four ships in port when I am sailing in September from Vancouver.  My documents still say I am boarding at noon, but I am thinking it will actually get delayed until 5pm.  Thank you! 

1 hour ago, brookey3232 said:

Hi!  Sorry to bring such an old topic back up, but will someone that was on this trip  let me know how the embarkation was handled?  Did you tender on or did you have to wait until evening to board?  There are four ships in port when I am sailing in September from Vancouver.  My documents still say I am boarding at noon, but I am thinking it will actually get delayed until 5pm.  Thank you! 

While the Harbourmaster was set up to permit boarding by tender, this was not possible. The problem rests with having already cleaded US Border controls prior to boarding the ship at Canada Place.

Not aware that Viking has any ships in Vancouver by Sept, as Viking Orion's last call is Aug 14th.

Just because Vancouver has 4 ships, doesn't mean that 1 has to anchor. Depending on the length of the ships, it is possible to have 2 ships on 1 berth (East berth). The schedule has two - 4 ship days. On the first day Sept 29th, all 4 are shown as being alongside. On Sept 30th - 2 NCL ships are scheduled, one sails at 17:00 & 2nd one docks at 18;00.

@Heidi13 thanks for quick reply!  I am on that second Norwegian ship.  My NCL documents say embarkation is at noon, but the port schedule says 1800.  Your thread gave me hope that the documents were correct and there was a chance of tendering early, but it looks much more likely that the documents are incorrect and I am going to have 6 hours to fill!  😀

6 hours ago, brookey3232 said:

We weren’t able to tender and only started boarding at 6pm and which took about 2 hours. Our muster wasn’t held until the next day which I’d read was not permissible and surprising given Vikings history of late re vessel issues. 

8 hours ago, brookey3232 said:

@Heidi13 thanks for quick reply!  I am on that second Norwegian ship.  My NCL documents say embarkation is at noon, but the port schedule says 1800.  Your thread gave me hope that the documents were correct and there was a chance of tendering early, but it looks much more likely that the documents are incorrect and I am going to have 6 hours to fill!  😀

Here is a link to the port schedule - https://www.portvancouver.com/cruise/cruise-schedule/

Don't know NCL ships, but believe they are most likely mega ships, so too long to fit 2 ships on the East berth. Agree that your documents are most likely incorrect.

If you have a few hours you can drop cases - if longshoremen won't accept them you can normally drop them at the hotel ($5/case) and enjoy some time in the city.