UK vs US Pricing?

Sandyone

Hi, All. I'm new to cruising and am thinking of using a crossing to move our family from the UK back to the US. There are 7 of us, with the 5 kids ranging from age 11 to 18 months.

We are US citizens and have lived in the UK for 3 1/2 years. We have bank accounts in both countries and can tweak our credit card to look like it comes from both countries.

The QM2 seems to be the ship of choice. I have seen crossings with other lines, but they don't fit in our time schedule, which is late May to June.

We won't need return airfare and would like to bring our US Spec vehicle on the ship with us.

I read on another thread that the pricing is generally better through US agents. Does this take into consideration the exchange rate? The dollar is in the toilet these days, so simple dollars-to-pounds comparisons don't tell it all.

So...do I want to go through a US agent, even though we'll never have a face-to-face meeting? Do I need an agent at all? I'm leaning toward an agent because of our large family and lack of cruising experience.

Thanks!

Hi, All. I'm new to cruising and am thinking of using a crossing to move our family from the UK back to the US. There are 7 of us, with the 5 kids ranging from age 11 to 18 months.

We are US citizens and have lived in the UK for 3 1/2 years. We have bank accounts in both countries and can tweak our credit card to look like it comes from both countries.

The QM2 seems to be the ship of choice. I have seen crossings with other lines, but they don't fit in our time schedule, which is late May to June.

We won't need return airfare and would like to bring our US Spec vehicle on the ship with us.

I read on another thread that the pricing is generally better through US agents. Does this take into consideration the exchange rate? The dollar is in the toilet these days, so simple dollars-to-pounds comparisons don't tell it all.

So...do I want to go through a US agent, even though we'll never have a face-to-face meeting? Do I need an agent at all? I'm leaning toward an agent because of our large family and lack of cruising experience.

Thanks!

i recieve printed brochures and sail mail in british pounds and usd. Prices are always much cheaper in the us.For some reason I cant explain brits always pay more than the yanks. book in the us. good luck

Thanks!

I too did not need return airfare when I relocated from Europe to the States ten years ago. At that time Cunard didn't charge for a car on a one-way ticket as long as you booked Caronia or higher (I think it was C4 or higher if I remember correctly). It would be worth looking into, since normally a ticket bought in sterling includes the return airfare which you don't need.

Airfare is no longer included when one books through Cunard in the US - so this is good for relocating. I'm not sure if it's still included from the UK or not.

Either way, fares are usually much lower in the US... And this does take the exchange rate into account.

As an example, the westbound crossing departing Southampton on 29 May 2006 has fares beginning at $1,249 per person in the US and £999 in the UK. That US fare comes out to only about £708 so obviously it is a good deal less expensive to book in the US.

Note that these are the fares according to the Cunard web site - in both the US and the UK, actual fares are often less expensive than the ones you see on the web.

It is always a good idea to use a reputable travel agent who can help you get the best fare and smooth out any glitches along the way.

There's an airfare allowance of £150 in the UK brochure/web prices so you can deduct that from your calculations.

Unfortunately QM2 offers no facilities for vehicle transport, unlike QE2, which might be a problem. I don't think it's an impossibility, you load the car into a container, they load the container like any other, no problem. I just don't think they want the hassle.

Every crossing (QE2 3x, QM2 1x) I'm amazed by the number of people using the ship as a means of transport across the pond. Even on the maiden crossing we had people at our table doing just that, and met others.

Regards, Colin.

There's an airfare allowance of £150 in the UK brochure/web prices so you can deduct that from your calculations.

Ah, OK... I never did see that anywhere!

That roughly halves the difference between the US and the UK fares. But still, in general, UK fares are much higher than US ones... And European (German) fares are even worse!

It is indeed a pity that QM2 doesn't carry cars. According to Stephen Payne, a QE2-style garage was out of the question because of some new safety laws that have come into effect.

These days, if one wants to take one's car across the Atlantic and travel with the car, one must relocate by container ship. If I recall correctly from our conversations on QE2, Flandre58 has done that as well! Not something I would ever do with small children though, as they would probably be bored to tears...

Every crossing (QE2 3x, QM2 1x) I'm amazed by the number of people using the ship as a means of transport across the pond. Even on the maiden crossing we had people at our table doing just that, and met others.

Regards, Colin.

Makes sense to me. If it is a corporate relocation, and they'd normally spring for business or first class airfare, the passage price on one of the Atlantic crossings isn't a lot different, and might even be lower depending on the season. It certainly is a lot more comfortable, so if time isn't an issue, why not? Given the more liberal baggage capacity on the QE2 or or the QM2, they probably have at least a few hundred dollars difference in what they would have paid in excess baggage charges, even assuming that most of the household goods and out-of-season clothes are shipped separately.

Cheers,

Barb

The two tariffs have no relationship with one another. They are two completely different entities.

The official currency of Cunard is USD.

Many folks have their new vehicles drop shipped to the US - making arrangements through their vehicle seller.

Yes, you can book through a US agent. No problem.

US fares are quoted cruise only, no air We physically have to add the air in the reservation system.

There are some agencies who have group space at reduced rates.. and a few offer onboard credit (free spending money)

"When you relocate on one of our ships, Cunard will carry your car and pets at a reasonable charge. Six days of ocean liner luxury allow you to arrive in your new home with your spirit refreshed and your mind clear. Please contact Cunard for details."

I cut and pasted this from a Cunard website. When they say "one of our ships", do they just mean the one...QE2 or shouldn't it mean "any one of our ships"?

I'm going to have to give them a yodel.

Thanks for all of your responses. I got a pang of jealousy when someone mentioned that corporations usually fly you business class...our "corporation" would fly us on the wing or in cargo if it had the choice! Cheapskates!

The travel agents who advertise on this site (and the other cruise message board sites)....are they all reputable?

Thanks!

The two tariffs have no relationship with one another. They are two completely different entities.

The official currency of Cunard is USD.

Many folks have their new vehicles drop shipped to the US - making arrangements through their vehicle seller.

Yes, you can book through a US agent. No problem.

US fares are quoted cruise only, no air We physically have to add the air in the reservation system.

There are some agencies who have group space at reduced rates.. and a few offer onboard credit (free spending money)

based on reliable second hand info cunard is the most expensive for shipping autos, even mercedes benz is cheaper!!! There is a current catalog from cunard offering free air one way on crossings for world club members!!!

Ah, OK... I never did see that anywhere!

That roughly halves the difference between the US and the UK fares. But still, in general, UK fares are much higher than US ones... And European (German) fares are even worse!

It is indeed a pity that QM2 doesn't carry cars. According to Stephen Payne, a QE2-style garage was out of the question because of some new safety laws that have come into effect.

These days, if one wants to take one's car across the Atlantic and travel with the car, one must relocate by container ship. If I recall correctly from our conversations on QE2, Flandre58 has done that as well! Not something I would ever do with small children though, as they would probably be bored to tears...

Actually it was a Con/Ro-Ro ship, so the car didn't have to be containerized. Unlike a car ferry, however, there was alot of paperwork and you couldn't drive it on/off yourself. This somewhat more convenient service might no longer be available either, like car garages on QM2. Just another example of changing times.

A friend who is planning to relocate to the U.K. asked me to check about kennels aboard QM2, and since I was onboard QE2 for the January crossing, thought I would visit the ship's kennels. Alas, the Purser's Office informed me that the kennel is no longer operating. I wonder if you can still take your car on QE2 for the occasional westbound crossing?

Actually it was a Con/Ro-Ro ship, so the car didn't have to be containerized. Unlike a car ferry, however, there was alot of paperwork and you couldn't drive it on/off yourself. This somewhat more convenient service might no longer be available either, like car garages on QM2. Just another example of changing times.

A friend who is planning to relocate to the U.K. asked me to check about kennels aboard QM2, and since I was onboard QE2 for the January crossing, thought I would visit the ship's kennels. Alas, the Purser's Office informed me that the kennel is no longer operating. I wonder if you can still take your car on QE2 for the occasional westbound crossing?

A friend of mine just moved to London from Connecticut, He packed most of his belongings in his car, drove it to New York and shipped it over. I believe they flew over. They did not go with the car. but it made its own great little shipping container!

As to the kennels on QM2. I did not go up there to visit. Marc did. I did, however, see a couple of its citizen's as they were disembarking... or is that de- barking! (actually, one was a cat- was she dis-em-meowed?)

Karie

What did they want to know? Maybe Marc has some answers.

based on reliable second hand info cunard is the most expensive for shipping autos, even mercedes benz is cheaper!!! There is a current catalog from cunard offering free air one way on crossings for world club members!!!

LOL..... yeah... they jack up the price of the voyage!

Actually it was a Con/Ro-Ro ship, so the car didn't have to be containerized.

Ah, right... I remember you saying that now.

Actually, come to think of it, Grimaldi Lines operate trans-Atlantic ro-ro vessels (no containers) that do carry passengers... But to South America, not North!

There are certainly ro-ro services from Europe to North America, but I don't know if they carry passengers too.

since I was onboard QE2 for the January crossing, thought I would visit the ship's kennels.

They're still there, and one can still visit them - but as the Purser's Office said, they're no longer operating. Rather, they're now used for storing boxes!

I wonder if you can still take your car on QE2 for the occasional westbound crossing?

Interesting question... I've thought of this myself.

I don't think they physically removed the garage and car lifts, but I'm not sure that they actually use them any longer... Like the kennels.

Archived