First cruise and free upgrade, why?

Muerz

Hi,

I booked a last minute rate on a Meraviglia cruise for a guaranteed outside cabin in the Fantastica setting and the first cabin I got assigned was a balcony cabin. A few days later, I got another mail from them with a new cruise ticket saying that I was now assigned a D3 Maisonette suite (duplex suite at the front of the ship). What an awesome free upgrade on a guarantee cabin, wow.

But why did I get this lucky? I‘m new to MSC, got a great deal on this cruise, didn‘t even apply for a status match from a different company (by the way, can I do that onboard?) Don‘t get me wrong, I‘m not complaining, I‘m just beyond belief. Anyone ever had one of those bi-level suites at the front of the ship? Did you like them? Any special treats that come with those cabins?

Edited by Muerz

I don't have an absolute answer on if you are able to upgrade on the ship, but why wait. If you do it prior to boarding, you can enjoy the benefits of your level (% off your trip, gifts in your cabin, priorty boarding and welcome party).  Why miss out? Also MSC does upgrade a lot. We have never been upgraded, but we have meet several people at the cc meet and mingle that have been. Don't forget to sign up for the meet and mingle as well. We have not booked the suites up front, no info on that. We really enjoy MSC, our favorite actually. Princess is a close second.  One thing we have ran into though, MSC can be the world of NO when trying to get things accomplished or very slow. This goes back to them not being totally "Americanized" yet. Enjoy your trip.

If you book an OV cabin, there are only 122, and half of them are Bella.  but there are 1282 regular balcony cabins, so it is reasonable if you book an OV gty that you will get assigned at balcony.  The same applies to Seaside/Seaview.  I booked a Fantastica OV gty on Seaside for next month, and got a Fantastica balcony on deck 14.  No suggestions as to why you got the suite/sweet upgrade...EM

I read on a few posts that even though we only booked the Fantastica experience, we would be able to get some of the Aurea bonuses as this cabin type Duplex suite is part of the Aurea (or even YC?) set of rooms. What kind of bonuses do they mean? Preferred MDR seating, use of the Aurea restaurant or...? 

1 hour ago, Muerz said:

I read on a few posts that even though we only booked the Fantastica experience, we would be able to get some of the Aurea bonuses as this cabin type Duplex suite is part of the Aurea (or even YC?) set of rooms. What kind of bonuses do they mean? Preferred MDR seating, use of the Aurea restaurant or...? 

The T&Cs of MSC state that when getting a free Upgrade "only the cabin is upgraded and not the Experience."

so you may get the duplex suite but not the Aurea Experience.

However I have seen it reported that some guests have got both the cabin and Experience upgraded

I wish you luck in that

If you do get the experience upgraded

then the benefits include

priority boarding at Embarkation

A free drinks package

A free massage

Unlimited  use of the Thermal area of the Spa

Free access to the private Top 16 sundeck

My choice dining

Bathrobe and slippers

Wishing you good fortune with the upgrade

Pete

2 hours ago, Muerz said:

The one benefit you do get is MyChoice dining as seating in MDRs is allocated according to cabin locations/types, regardless of which 'Experience' the occupants originally booked.