Whale Watching & Dog Sledding

sillypuppy

So excited to be on our first Alaskan cruise in May!!  The two must do excursions for us are whale watching and dog sledding (not by helicopter on a glacier).  From what I have read, Juneau seems to be the place to do the whale watching.  From researching a lot of the whale watching tours include Mendenhall Glacier.  We are in Juneau from 1pm to 10pm - will there be time to do the combo tour?  Is it worth doing both?  What companies are recommended?  I understand that this is a "tender" port so getting off and on the ship may take some time.

Is Skagway a good port for dog sledding?  We will be there 7am to 9pm so plenty of time!  I am not interested in going on a helicopter tour to a glacier to dog sled.  What other options are available at this port for dog sledding?  Any other must dos in Skagway?

Ketchikan is another port we visit.  Planned on just visiting the town - but anything else that can be recommended not to miss?

Thanks for all the help!  Trying to get everything planned out.

Jayleen's Alaska is a good whale watching tour from Juneau, small boat, 6 passengers.  She meets you at the dock and takes you to the small boat harbor.  As wolfie11 said, Juneau is not a tender port.

https://jayleensalaska.com/

We did a dog sled in Seward if you have any time there.  It is an embarkation/disembarkation port for one way cruises. 

https://ididaride.com/tours/summer-dog-sledding/

• 3 years later...

Im planning on going on my first cruise this year! I'm kinda in the same situation you were in where i would like to do both the dog sled and whale watching tour and was wondering how it went in your experience if you booked both in Juneau?

Any advice is appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of details in a proper reply.

Land dogsledding is great in Juneau or Skagway, I don’t know about other ports. 

Helo (glacier) dogsledding also great in both towns, but I’m not sure when they start the season. Definitely spotty by mid-August (no snow, just ice). Depends on snowfall. I’d book in the first port, there is a tiny chance you could add it in the next port if you’re weathered out. (30% cank rate.)

Whale watching is only in Juneau and Icy Straits. You don’t need the glacier combo if you fly. (<5% cank rate)

Some ships only visit for seven hours, don’t get greedy and try to squeeze in too much.

I’d book whale first and helo second if doing both in a day. Helo companies sometimes offer delayed departures, putting you on the horns of a dilemma if it bumps into your whale watch.

The companies are good, but not likely to refund you if you simply don’t show up. Imagine deciding to do the delayed helo, skipping the cheaper whale watch, and then having the helos cank. Or taking the whale trip and finding the helos flew.

Or you go whale watching, then spend two extra hours waiting to see if the helos fly. If they cancelled anyway (weather is weather), you’d just say, ‘oh well.’

What happens with the helos is they cancel a departure and 90% of the customers take the refund and wander off. 10% hang around, and sometimes can squeeze onto another departure. Or the next. There’s no right or wrong about it. This is where long port calls and slow ship days are great.

I live in Juneau. You gotta go whale watching and up on the glacier once in your life. Then you’ll know. And dogs are cool.

Dolphin Doug