Mediterranean Odyssey - Rome excursion

zitsky

1 hour ago, Dauntless said:

I know and I'm also a big believer in Rick Steve's and Youtube for insight.  Even though you haven't been on a Viking cruise yet, and at first I wasn't real sure you were going on one, I was surprised to see you such an advocate recently.  I'm just a dumb guy from Texas and don't know no better but even though some things could and have been tweaked along the way, this is the kind of cruising suits my needs.  It takes me places I haven't been and for a first time in the ports, I'm glad.  I've enjoyed the crew and their interaction, from the captain to the room attendant.  The atmosphere and style of the ship.  Not stuffy or theme park.  A relaxing oasis when you return from your adventures with activities that make you feel like it's something special without being a hectic frenzy!  Belly flop contest and butlers would not be my idea of the style I would choose.   The idea of a booze and snooze cruise holds no fascination for me. The passengers are, for the most part, so welcoming.  When I boarded my last cruise, in the elevator on the way to lunch, a guy aboard said "Welcome to my ship".  It was his second cruise on the Star, as mine, and it turns out we were on the same cruise and ship two years ago though we didn't meet then.  But it's the feeling you get when you travel with this company.  I have seen a few that seem to be just totally unpleasant but I don't think the cruise has much to do with that.  Some people just major in the minors and enjoy being miserable.  Thank goodness, though the ship is 'Small', there's enough space to avoid then completely so it only rains on their parade.

DITTO!  DITTO! DITTO!!

Love your prose!!! Such evocative images.

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

If I sound positive about Viking, it's because of past river cruises, which are quite different. Hope ocean is as good as you say.

Not really as different as you think but certainly designed to fit the given space. One thing that they both have in common is the Viking philosphy driving all the details, especially service.

2 hours ago, Dauntless said:

But it's the feeling you get when you travel with this company.  I have seen a few that seem to be just totally unpleasant but I don't think the cruise has much to do with that.  Some people just major in the minors and enjoy being miserable.  Thank goodness, though the ship is 'Small', there's enough space to avoid then completely so it only rains on their parade.

I want to make sure that people understand that I am talking about fellow cruisers here and not the crew.  When reading it again just now, I see how some could read this the wrong way.  Some people are just 'cranky' and some are elitists that don't want other people to be able to have what they have, nor should they.  Not sure where this comes from since I don't travel with that crowd but I have seen it.

1 hour ago, Dauntless said:

I want to make sure that people understand that I am talking about fellow cruisers here and not the crew.  When reading it again just now, I see how some could read this the wrong way.  Some people are just 'cranky' and some are elitists that don't want other people to be able to have what they have, nor should they.  Not sure where this comes from since I don't travel with that crowd but I have seen it.

Yes, that's me. I'm one of the cranky ones. I try not to be but it doesn't always work.

Viking river and Viking ocean are apples and oranges, IMO.  LOVED both, but for different reasons.  I am social and love to meet others, and the river cruises seem more geared towards that simply because of the smaller number of people, and the dining together at the same time.  But I also enjoyed having a choice of dining venue.  And I thought the food was better on the ocean cruise.  I hate lines, so it's nice on the river to be able to walk on and off the boat.  On and off the ship (ocean) requires security checks, which are a real drag.  That being said, the only other line we ever encountered was the line for gelato every day on the World Cafe 🙂 .  I like the compactness of the river boats.  I love the free spa facilities on the ship.  But I love the Viking experience overall, no matter whether it's river or ocean!

• Like 1