Ode to an Explorer Suite

DeepFreeze63

Just off the Cape Town to Rio cruise on the Explorer. I’ll write a review shortly but meanwhile I wanted to share a great experience - cruising for a lot of sea days in an Explorer suite. Specifically, we were in Suite 1005 for 14 nights. It was our 4th cruise on the Explorer but we were in F cabins (which we also love) on the other 3 cruises.

The décor of our Explorer suite is STUNNING! I had taken an "up-sell" offer from an F cabin as a surprise Christmas gift to DW. She was one “happy camper”. It’s not just spacious; it’s so well appointed. Here’s some info that’s beyond what Regent provides on their website.

Baths: The half-bath “powder room” is beautiful. The full bath is spacious; is very well lit; has a large, deluge shower; has lots of storage above and below the double sinks, including 2 mirrored medicine cabinets. The commode is in a separated area.  The tub is a large Jacuzzi (we did the sea trials of our “build-a – boat entry” in it). Bath amenities included Guerlain, L’Occitane en Provence and Bottega Veneta.

Bedroom Area: A standard Regent walk-in closet. A large (about 75 inches wide), very comfortable bed with 3 good size drawers on each side of it.  DW loved the great vanity – well lit and well mirrored with a desk drawer and 3 small drawers on each side. Mirrored doors to both the closet and the bath. Electronically-drive drapes on the door to the verandah. Beautiful TV that was easy to watch from our bed.

Sitting Area: Great for entertaining; we had a cocktail party for 6 new friends – none of us had been in an Explorer suite before this cruise – who loved the ambiance also. The bar area is terrific; the glassware cabinets above the wet sink glistened. The bar came stocked with rum and vodka as well as the wine and the gin that I had pre-ordered. Electronically- controlled draperies here too.

Verandah: Huge with; a chaise lounge with a small table, a nice size eating table with 2 cane chairs, and a marvelous ( I took afternoon naps here) lounging sofa (about 7 feet long) with large, comfortable pillows. The verandah was also great for entertaining.

Location: I had been concerned about the Deck 10 location. I am not a “good sailor” but had no discomfort – Disclaimer, we didn’t have any really rough sea. Suite 1005’s door is off-set between the stairs and the elevators  - we heard no noise. Suite 1005’s bedroom and half of its sitting area is below the Library – we heard no noise. The entry area of the suite is under the storage part of the Culinary Kitchen – we heard no noise – Disclaimer, for some reason there were few Culinary Kitchen classes during our cruise and those seemed to start at 10 AM and 4 PM.

• Like 1

Glad to hear all this since we will be in one next week Buenos Aires to Santiago. Unfortunately our cruise will have a lot of cold weather at the bottom of South America , so that large verandah will get limited use....except wearing parkas.

We were on the first part of your cruise (Cape Town to Cape Town) and in Explorer Suite 918. Totally agree with you on the layout, amenities, and huge verandah on Explorer Suites. Absolutely loved it in every way. 

• Like 1