Costa Magica?

Macy2

Has anyone stayed in an oceanview handicapped cabin on the Magica? We have one booked for the eastern carib. (San Juan, St. Thomas) in April and would like to know what to expect with a wheelchair. Any info/tips appreciated!

• 1 month later...

I can not help you with the Magica, but I am interest in how you like it.

We sailed on the Victorica back in 2003. We had little or no trouble using the ship. Since the Magica is the newest ship I would think that it should be very wheelchair friendly. Our cabin on the Victorica was modifided. They added a hugh bathroom with a roll in shower, yet keeping the small shower/bathroom in the front part of the cabin. I would think the new ship would only have one bathroom. It actually was great having 2 bathrooms. They brought i a cot for my daughter and it could have fit i the bathroom with no problem.

We did have a little problem with the doors to the upper deck not being automatic a problem on a windy day.

Pease let me know who your trip into PR goes. We are thinking of doing a Southern Caribbean Cruise. next year and it will leave from PR. I

Thanks Linda

• 2 months later...

My MIL stayed in cabin #9202. This is listed as an oceanview, but the view was very obstructed by a solid wall railing. Only a tall person who is able to stand has any view of the ocean. #9203 is the same. The cabin itself was adequate with a large bathroom. These cabins are at the very front of the ship and we could sure feel the ship rocking more there than in our own cabin that was midship. There is a deck right in front of these cabins, but a large lip at the door. You would think they would have made this deck W/C accessiblegiven it's location next to the HC cabins:confused: . Outer decks were accessible on deck 3 next to guest services desk and deck 10 if you go thru the upper level of the buffet. This ship (just like Carnival's Conquest class) is very chopped up so elevators were in high demand. To get to our restaurant for dinner required going down to deck 5 to cross to the back of the ship, then down a 2nd elevator to the restaurant's entrance on deck 4. Deck 5 is the main strip and it becomes very congested at night when the gift shops and photographers set tables up in the aisles. If you are considering the Magica be sure to take a look at pictures of the pool deck on WebShots.com (steps everywhere). We found the service on the Magica okay, but nothing to brag about. The room stewards all seemed friendly and greeted us often. Our waiter was good but did not seem to get the back up help he needed from the drink server or assistant waiter, so he was constantly trying to do 3 people's jobs. If you have any specific questions please ask. If I don't know the answer I'll check w/ my MIL.

Pease let me know who your trip into PR goes. We are thinking of doing a Southern Caribbean Cruise. next year and it will leave from PR. I

Thanks Linda

Linda,

We did enjoy our time in San Juan, but we were only off the ship for a few hours. The first thing we did was walk seeral blocks left of the ship to the visitor info center. That is where the horse & carriage rides are located. My husband was able to lift his mom into the carriage and we collapsed her w/c and placed it next to the driver. I'm not sure if this is an option for you but it was a nice way for to see the old town. I think the cost was $35 per couple, and kids were free. There was a reduced rate ($15??) for extra adults. We tried to go to some of the shops but it was very difficult to go up hill, on the cobblestone streets and narrow sidewalks. We also found that many of the shops placed their trash out on the sidewalks, further blocking our way. Last, we went down to the waterfront walkway. I can't remember the name but it was Beautiful there at sunset. There are banyan trees lining the sidewalk and the large fountain that you see in a lot of pics of San Juan. This area was also to the left of the ship, just past the tourist info center. Hope this helps:)

Macy2: I'm glad to see you posted about your experiences on the ship! It's so good to get first-hand info on accessibility.

Very often we're told things are accessible when in reality they are far from it! DH would be very upset with congested decks, unexpected steps in some areas, etc.

We always sail HAL and find their ships to be very accessible.

Interestingly enough, there is a small deck forward of their HC cabins on the Upper Verandah deck, and it too has a large lip at the door. I am guessing it has to do with the design and the need to keep water from seeping under the door and into the halls.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

As you can see by my ticker, we did book on the Magica. This wasn't my first choose. We are going with others and they made the plans. We will be doing the Western Carribean. The airfare to PR was just too high for our friends to manage. They have 8 passengers to pay for.

Please tell me anything else about the ship that we might need to know. My DH uses a power wheelchair. Sounds like a lot of confussion with the elevators. We have fought harder battles.

I will go look at the photos on webshots. Are the steps going to the pool? Where there any automatic door openers on any of the main decks? I found that the harders on the Victoria. We had to fight the wind and a heavy door from the pool deck to the buffet.

We where not able to get a balcony cabin they where already booked. So we booked an inside cat 4 HC 8345. I have been trying to get a picture of a hc room but so far nothing. Since this is a newer ship you would think the room would be good. How about the dining room? Was there enough room between tables?

Archived