Time in Juneau after Tracey Arm excursion

beck75

Our family of 4 (kids 12 and 14) will be doing our first Alaska cruise this June on HAL. I’ve already booked the Tracey Arm excursion, which splits from the cruise around 9am and drops us in Juneau around 3pm, a few hours after the cruise ship arrives. 

Wondering if anyone has done this and if so, how did they spend the afternoon in Juneau? I’m debating blowing most of our budget and scheduling a helicopter flight out to a glacier later that afternoon. Some of the shorter tours look to be just a few hours.  Our ships departs at 10pm, but the HAL glacier excursions aren’t timed late enough for us to get back from Tracey Arm, grab a bite to eat, and then do a helicopter tour. So I may have to go independent. 

If if anyone has experience with an independent glacier helicopter trip, especially after spending the morning and early afternoon in Tracey Arm, I’d love to hear about it.

• Like 1

My wife and I did the Tracy Arm excursion back in August from the Emerald Princess.  We ended up in Endicott Arm at the Sawyer Glacier instead, but it was amazing.  Best part of the whole trip.

I don't have any information about helicopter tours unfortunately.  When we got back to the ship we had a quick bite to eat and changed clothes.  We then took the Mt. Roberts Tramway up the mountain and spent the afternoon hiking up there.  It was a perfect change of pace being outdoors with amazing views after feeling trapped on a boat all day with 100 other people.  The trails are pretty easy and the views up there are amazing.  Burning off a ton of calories also felt good on the fourth day of a cruise.  It was also very inexpensive (relatively speaking).

After we got done on the mountain we walked around Juneau a bit and bought some tourist crap.  We got back on the ship for dinner and then went to bed early.  Being on that tour boat all day is pretty tiring (and we are in our mid-30s with no kids haha).

Here's a video of the glacier excursion we were on if you're interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDfLwKg4v5Q

There are three helicopter companies in Juneau, Temsco, Coastal, and Northstar.  All are good.  However, with an expected 1.3 million passengers expected in Juneau this summer during the four-month tour season, independent tours may be hard to come by.  Start planning now.

2 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

There are three helicopter companies in Juneau, Temsco, Coastal, and Northstar.  All are good.  However, with an expected 1.3 million passengers expected in Juneau this summer during the four-month tour season, independent tours may be hard to come by.  Start planning now.

Agree! I’m going to Alaska in May and I’m lucky enough that its early in the season so the ship will be the only one in port except for Juneau, and there will be a total of 3 ships in port.

I already booked my heli/dogsledding tour, which I’m doing in Skagway. Spots are filling up quickly so you will definitely want to make your decision soon.

On 1/23/2019 at 9:14 PM, elrohir44 said:

My wife and I did the Tracy Arm excursion back in August from the Emerald Princess.  We ended up in Endicott Arm at the Sawyer Glacier instead, but it was amazing.  Best part of the whole trip.

I don't have any information about helicopter tours unfortunately.  When we got back to the ship we had a quick bite to eat and changed clothes.  We then took the Mt. Roberts Tramway up the mountain and spent the afternoon hiking up there.  It was a perfect change of pace being outdoors with amazing views after feeling trapped on a boat all day with 100 other people.  The trails are pretty easy and the views up there are amazing.  Burning off a ton of calories also felt good on the fourth day of a cruise.  It was also very inexpensive (relatively speaking).

After we got done on the mountain we walked around Juneau a bit and bought some tourist crap.  We got back on the ship for dinner and then went to bed early.  Being on that tour boat all day is pretty tiring (and we are in our mid-30s with no kids haha).

Here's a video of the glacier excursion we were on if you're interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDfLwKg4v5Q

Thanks for the youtube link! I enjoyed watching the footage. I am really excited for the glacier excursion trip. 

We had planned a hiking trip in Skagway up to Laughton Glacier, but it is looking like that won't work out for a variety of reasons. So we are planning on the helicopter trip in Skagway. And now I may check out some hikes in Juneau around the Mt Roberts tram. Thanks for the tip!

On 1/24/2019 at 12:14 AM, elrohir44 said:

For clarification.   The twin Sawyer Glaciers are at the end of Tracy Arm.  The Dawes Glacier is at the end of Endicott Arm