Clothing for Alaska

Stlouis7

We are on the 5-31 May cruise.  The average temp looks like 50's.  Others have said it is all about layers.  I am sure other people who have been (this is also our first time) to Alaska will come along hopefully and advise us further.

Edited by alibabacruisers

I did the Alaska cruise in July. Depending on how far up you are going, you may need clothing for all 4 seasons. Starting out in Vancouver was warm and sunny. As we moved upwards, it got cooler and wetter. Southern Alaska is somewhat like a rainforest. Misty, cool and cloudy. Farther north, even in July, we needed coats and gloves. Visiting the glacier was very cold and windy. I would think in May, it may be even colder and wetter. Bring layers and at least a small amount of clothing for each season and you should be fine. Also, do not forget proper footwear. When we were walking on the glacier, there was a woman wearing high heel strappy sandals. Her feet were blue!

• Like 1

I did this same trip last year.  Japan was on the cool side, temps in the 50’s (8-10C) and breezy.  The crossing was mostly overcast, 40’s , and windy, which is pretty typical of the North Pacific in May.  Alaska was similar to Japan.  Clothing depends on how cold-adapted you are.... you should bring something that is waterproof and wind proof, like a gore tex jacket and, as suggested above, layers.  Some people bring silk long underwear or running tights as a bottom layer and fleece or wool as a top layer.

I cruised Alaska in May a few years back. There were days when I needed a jacket, a sweater underneath, gloves and a scarf. It was pretty cold when we sailed into Glacier Bay in particular, although not so cold that I didn’t get to see the glaciers calving in spots. The sound was amazing. There were also days I could walk about in shirtsleeves and a few hardy souls even hopped in the pool. The advice about layers is really spot on. I wish you as nice a weather as I had, there wasn’t a day I didn’t need my sunglasses. You will love your journey, Alaska is truly beautiful!