Okay, how exactly DO you get to Galveston from Houston?

Leejnd4

I'm a native Galvestonian (born on the island) and I can tell you that the problem with getting to and from the Houston airports didn't start when the cruise ships moved in. It's always been a mystery why someone hasn't established a reasonably priced solution to this problem. It seems as if Galveston Limousine Service has always had a lock on the airport shuttle service. I've read on this and other cruise sites that from time to time the limo service just simply won't make a run to Galveston if the limo (actually a van) isn't full. Now there's something else to worry about.

I'm a native Galvestonian (born on the island) and I can tell you that the problem with getting to and from the Houston airports didn't start when the cruise ships moved in. It's always been a mystery why someone hasn't established a reasonably priced solution to this problem. It seems as if Galveston Limousine Service has always had a lock on the airport shuttle service. I've read on this and other cruise sites that from time to time the limo service just simply won't make a run to Galveston if the limo (actually a van) isn't full. Now there's something else to worry about.

I have to agree that it is a bit of a mystery. I was really quite surprised when I started looking into the ground transport for this cruise -- I mean, so MANY cruises go out of Galveston, I just expected there to be a "standard" way of getting there. I was stunned at the lack of information about it.

And I agree that Galveston Limo seems to have the lock. Sure 'nuff, that's what we're ending up with.

The good news is that I discovered that their per-person charge listed on their website is round trip, not each way. That's a relief.

For anyone who cares, this is what I ended up doing. We're flying into Hobby, and taking Galveston Limo ($50 per person, for a total of $200) to our hotel in Galveston. We're staying at the Casa Del Mar Beachfront Suites.

By the way, if anyone is interested in a GREAT deal for lodging in Galveston, I found a website specific to Galveston that offers amazingly low prices, far lower than those I was getting on all the standard hotel search sites (Orbitz, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, etc. etc.). Using all the various search engines, the lowest price I found for this hotel was $189.00 per night. Using this Galveston website, I got it for $99! And the best part is that it's perfect for a family -- it's a full suite, 450 sq. feet with queen bed, two bunk beds and a sofa bed, and a full kitchen. It's right across the street from the beach, too. It's not exactly a luxury hotel, and some reviewers complained that it's rather old, but for the night before a cruise it sounds perfect. If anyone is interested, the website is http://www.galveston.org. You can book your Galveston Limo transfer on that site as well.

LeeAnne

Yes, I'm sure that's a great deal, but you're talking $240 each way -- that's $500 I would much rather spend on shore excursions or wine or something a bit more enjoyable than a 90-minute freeway ride. That's a pretty big tab for snacks and sodas.
Glad it all worked out.;)

Yes, $500 would be way too much! When you wrote that, I wondered if you had your info correct. I think you will be pleased with the limo decision. :)

I've been searching this forum and all kinds of websites, and I still can't figure out the best way for us to get from the airport to the pier.

From what I've been able to ascertain, most people seem to either take a taxi, or hire a limo service, both of which are rather expensive. Others mention having rented a car, but how do you get to the ship after dropping the car off? Plus, isn't the drop-off office in Galveston closed on Sundays (day the cruise begins)?

We're a family of 4 - Mom, Dad and 2 teenagers. I'm not looking for luxury, just the most basic transportation -- heck a bus would be fine. We just want to get from the airport to the ship, no frills. We have to fly into Bush, since we're coming from LA and flights to Hobby were cost prohibitive, since there's 4 of us.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

LeeAnne

From looking at all the help you received, it looks like I would change my port & cruise to something else. When are you going? Have you made your final payment yet? Why not go out of the west cost or FL. Flights wouild be cheeper to FT Lauderdale and the ship is only 5 miles from the airport.

We used a TA and compared flying into Hobby and using taxi v. IAH and using the RCCL transport and the price was cheaper flying into IAH and using RCCL (ship's transport is 156.00 for the two of us). AND for some unknown reason RCCL doesn't offer transport from Hobby ??

Yes, I'm sure that's a great deal, but you're talking $240 each way -- that's $500 - LeeAnne

Limos do run higher, but if you are in a group, let's say six people(3 couples) the price overall isn't really that much higher.

Example: 6 people using Galveston Limo(a van) is $360 or $60pp

6 people riding in stlye(in a limousine) is $468 or $78pp

So a limo is $18pp more for a round trip than a shuttle van for a group of six. What do you get for your 18 bucks? Well, you don't have to wait on other cruisers either at the airport or at the cruise terminal because your driver is waiting on YOUR PARTY and your party only. Planning on tipping your van driver? The limo tip is built in the run. Would you rather be crammed in a van or spread out in a limo? Sure free soft drinks and a bottle of free champagne are no big deal, but a limo has them available. Also, a limo driver will make a "potty" stop, a quick stop at a liquor store or corner store, will your van driver? Something to consider anyway.

Don't get me wrong, Galveston Limo does a good job, but I just wanted to point out that renting a limo in certain situations is not as expensive as you think.

From looking at all the help you received, it looks like I would change my port & cruise to something else. When are you going? Have you made your final payment yet? Why not go out of the west cost or FL. Flights wouild be cheeper to FT Lauderdale and the ship is only 5 miles from the airport.

Um...well, ground transportation issues aren't going to lead me to change my cruise. It's the right cruise at the right price, and these air/ground issues aren't enough to affect that. It's $200 more than I would have prefered to spend, but I'm not going to change my entire vacatin over it. And I appreciate all the help I received -- sure helped me figure it all out!

Limos do run higher, but if you are in a group, let's say six people(3 couples) the price overall isn't really that much higher.

True, and thanks for the math -- makes perfect sense for a group, where you have different wallets contributing. Unfortunately it's just us -- a family of four, we're footin' the whole bill. I WISH I could get my kids to pitch in, but babysitting jobs just don't pay very well. ;) Anyway, as it turns out it would only be $80 more bucks to do the limo thing from Hobby, and believe me it's tempting, but the drive is only 45 minutes so I just can't justify tossing $80 out the window for the more luxurious experience. Perhaps if I was taking this cruise with my gal pals we'd go for it, and drink a bottle of champagne along the way to boot. But methinks I'll save this $80 for something on the cruise. :)

LeeAnne

We had a terrible experience wiht Galveston Limo- Left us stranded for 4 hours and never did show. We took a cab. It cost us $154. I wouldn't have mattered if we were 2, 3, or 4, the price would all have been the same. In fact we talked to a cabbie and he said if you had 4 people in the van the price was all the same. I do know that if you take a bus from RCCL each of you pay the $39. I know tha Galveston Limo charges $30 per person. So maybe a cab? I know that we had Al as our driver from Libery cab- he was great- even offered to pick us up after our cruise. Here is Liberty cab's web address: www.libertycab.net maybe they can give you a quote? Couldn't hurt to try. Even could try the real Limo's I know a Lincoln Town car was $120 and how many didn't matter. If you find Al, he was a great guy, gave us a little tour along the way telling us what we saw. So good luck finding transport! Have an awesome cruise! Gabrielle

Archived