Denali to Anchorage by bus

Sue's Mom

Has anyone done this please?  We have been told that we can only take a small bag on our two night Denali tour, the size of which in inches is no bigger than 17 x 14 x 4 so that it will fit underneath the seat.  I cannot find anything that is only 4 inches wide. It seems very narrow to me.  So my question about the motor coach is this - does the bus not have an open luggage shelf/rack overhead where bags or other stuff can be stored?

Thank you.

The small bag is only for those items you will need on the bus e.g meds/snacks/toilteries/camera  equipment.  FWIW you can fit a lot of stuff in a Scottie Vest in addition to the small bag.    There are many camera-type backpacks that meet this requirement. 

If you have medical equipment, you are allowed a roller bag that will be carried in the luggage compartment of the bus.   You are allowed another bag that will be transported by truck.

Sue's Mom.

You will also have your larger regular luggage, which is stored under the bus or shipped in a separate truck,  delivered to your hotel room each evening.  The small "day bag" is all you are allowed on the bus and train to carry on your person. A backpack or purse/handbag is easily found in this size.  

Yes, the bus will likely have a rack above the seats.  In order to allow the most headroom, it will be quite close to the bus ceiling. Thick bags won't fit.  On our last bus tour the height was just enough for the measurements described to be easily stowed.

HAL also does this so time is not consumed with each passenger getting a large bag in and out of storage at each stop.  It could take 30 minutes just to unload a  bus if large bags were used.

If you just need to take the small bag from under the seat in front of you, and place it on your lap at arrival, it cuts down on the horrid "waiting in the aisles" for all of those in front of you to retrieve their bags. (think exiting an aircraft).

I am stressing a bit because there are so many extras you might need in Alaska based on weather variations. (raincoat, umbrella, warm layers, etc.) I would also love to be allowed a larger bag;)