Carnival Triumph Virgin

ttb1980

Love the alchemy. The thing I like most about Triumph is it still has the old shows with the live orchestra. And at least as of...16 months ago...they were flying in a magician for a Vegas style magic show in the main lounge and a burlesque show later in the comedy club one night. 

If you are interested in Mayan ruins, progreso is a good place for that. If you aren’t I’d check out the city of Merida.

https://autoprogreso.squarespace.com/new-products/

• Like 3

16 hours ago, NauticalNeophyte said:

Definitely have a guava margarita at the Blue Iguana Cantina. I also enjoyed the comedians, particularly Al Katz, but I don’t know if he’s still on the ship.  I thought the band Ridge Asia was pretty good too.  Have fun!

Thanks! We are really excited! I love a good margarita!

11 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Love the alchemy. The thing I like most about Triumph is it still has the old shows with the live orchestra. And at least as of...16 months ago...they were flying in a magician for a Vegas style magic show in the main lounge and a burlesque show later in the comedy club one night. 

If you are interested in Mayan ruins, progreso is a good place for that. If you aren’t I’d check out the city of Merida.

https://autoprogreso.squarespace.com/new-products/

We have an excursion booked to see the Mayan ruins. Can't wait! So there is something to do every night on the boat? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BoDidly said:

I liked the oyster shelled piano bar. This ship is flooded with subpar history ,soon to become Sunrise or Sunbeam :classic_wink:

Piano Bar!! It is just my husband and I so I am really excited about the night life.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ttb1980 said:

We have an excursion booked to see the Mayan ruins. Can't wait! So there is something to do every night on the boat? 

Do you book your excursions yourself? Or through Carnival? We went thru Carnival this time, but it is our first time. We were concerned with making sure we get back to the boat on time. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ttb1980 said:

Yeah. Here is the schedule from my last time on Triumph. It's been 16 months but I'd expect minimal changes

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2452185-carnival-triumph-fun-times-911-91617/

Triumph is great and is due for its dry dock and remodel.  There is no serenity deck currently.  The piano bar and alchemy bar are fantastic.  Always lots to do on the ship.  Progresso, in my opinion, is one of the only ports that I 100% book excursions through Carnival.  The time frame to make it to the ruins and back is very small,

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 1:03 PM, jdoc2007 said:

Triumph is great and is due for its dry dock and remodel.  There is no serenity deck currently.  The piano bar and alchemy bar are fantastic.  Always lots to do on the ship.  Progresso, in my opinion, is one of the only ports that I 100% book excursions through Carnival.  The time frame to make it to the ruins and back is very small,

thank you for the info. We leave in a week!

On 1/30/2019 at 9:09 AM, ttb1980 said:

Do you book your excursions yourself? Or through Carnival? We went thru Carnival this time, but it is our first time. We were concerned with making sure we get back to the boat on time. 

In Progreso, we book tours through Autoprogreso Tours. We have never had a bad experience with them and have always been back to the ship in plenty of time.

• Like 1

Triumph was our first Carnival Cruise in summer of 2016. We loved the rear pool area with the retractable roof. It wasn't as crowed as the main pool, and there was a bar right there. Alchemy of course, and the piano bar. We will definately cruise her again after the drydock and remonikering.

We went on Triumph at Christmas time.

Definitely check out Nickola and Ivona at the Alchemy bar. They are great. Make some great drinks too!

The comedians were good. Hell Yeah!!!

The girl in the piano bar was a good singer but didn't have much personality when I was in there so didn't go back. Usually really enjoy the piano bar.  

In Cozumel we just went out and rented a taxi for the day to take us around the island. 100$ for the afternoon. The far side of the island is so different from the pier side.

I took a Carnival tour to the Uxmal ruin site in Progresso. You can walk up one of the temples there where you can't at the others I don't believe. It is 1 hour 45 minute bus ride to the site so didn't want to chance a private tour just in case as you never know with traffic going that far away.

• Like 1

We also went to Uxmal through Lawson's tours, but there is nothing wrong with using the Carnival tour. It is much less crowded than Chichen Itza and you can climb many of the temples. However, I had already been to Chichen many years ago before it was quite so popular, and I loved it too.  There are other smaller ruins sites closer to the port and therefore a shorter ride away, but also less to see.

The oyster shell piano bar is a really crazy looking space and the entertainers there at night are good, so enjoy it before it's gone forever.  We also liked the very vibrant and colorful song-and-dance shows.  To my surprise, my rather redneckish, guy's guy type husband, who had never experienced anything like that before, absolutely loved them and now makes this kind of entertainment his priority on every subsequent cruise!  I wish we could see them once more before they are retired during the upcoming rebuild and while there is ample great seating in the main show lounge. 

On any Carnival Cruise, Guy's Burger Joint and Blue Iguana Cantina are must-try walk up places. Some folks don't care for them, but others will say they ate nearly every meal at them.  I won a Ship on a Stick at trivia, and considering it's all I ever talk about it must have been a highlight of my life.   At Cozumel you can do various beach break days, or just walk off the ship and shop in the little area right near the pier. 

Have fun, wish we were going too.

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 5:22 PM, ktmush2 said:

Triumph was our first Carnival Cruise in summer of 2016. We loved the rear pool area with the retractable roof. It wasn't as crowed as the main pool, and there was a bar right there. Alchemy of course, and the piano bar. We will definately cruise her again after the drydock and remonikering.

Great info! Thanks

Edited by ttb1980

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 6:34 PM, bm6pm5 said:

We went on Triumph at Christmas time.

Definitely check out Nickola and Ivona at the Alchemy bar. They are great. Make some great drinks too!

The comedians were good. Hell Yeah!!!

The girl in the piano bar was a good singer but didn't have much personality when I was in there so didn't go back. Usually really enjoy the piano bar.  

In Cozumel we just went out and rented a taxi for the day to take us around the island. 100$ for the afternoon. The far side of the island is so different from the pier side.

I took a Carnival tour to the Uxmal ruin site in Progresso. You can walk up one of the temples there where you can't at the others I don't believe. It is 1 hour 45 minute bus ride to the site so didn't want to chance a private tour just in case as you never know with traffic going that far away.

Thanks! We are getting excited!!

20 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

We also went to Uxmal through Lawson's tours, but there is nothing wrong with using the Carnival tour. It is much less crowded than Chichen Itza and you can climb many of the temples. However, I had already been to Chichen many years ago before it was quite so popular, and I loved it too.  There are other smaller ruins sites closer to the port and therefore a shorter ride away, but also less to see.

The oyster shell piano bar is a really crazy looking space and the entertainers there at night are good, so enjoy it before it's gone forever.  We also liked the very vibrant and colorful song-and-dance shows.  To my surprise, my rather redneckish, guy's guy type husband, who had never experienced anything like that before, absolutely loved them and now makes this kind of entertainment his priority on every subsequent cruise!  I wish we could see them once more before they are retired during the upcoming rebuild and while there is ample great seating in the main show lounge. 

On any Carnival Cruise, Guy's Burger Joint and Blue Iguana Cantina are must-try walk up places. Some folks don't care for them, but others will say they ate nearly every meal at them.  I won a Ship on a Stick at trivia, and considering it's all I ever talk about it must have been a highlight of my life.   At Cozumel you can do various beach break days, or just walk off the ship and shop in the little area right near the pier. 

Have fun, wish we were going too.

Thank you. We have an excursion booked to see the little Chichen Itza in Progresso and the jeep ride/snorkeling for Cozumel. Both have great reviews. We love good night entertainment, so we will definitely check out the oyster shell bar. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NauticalNeophyte said:

I have to advise that if Russell is in the piano bar, you may want to skip, or at least go with much lower expectations.  It was good “entertainment”, albeit a different type.

What does this mean?  I suppose it's always good advice to not get your expectations up too much, but what is different about this individual?

Russell was really nice, and a hell of a piano player, but his singing left something to be desired. And he kept changing up the notes so that you couldn’t follow along, although he kept asking you to sing with him.  I’d go see him again though, understanding that it's kind of a music-comedy hybrid.  

JMHO

• Like 1