Staying on-board. Visas required for Cuba?

spearnreel

Have a Sept. Cuba sailing. Have an infant and toddler and will be staying on board for the 7-day sail. Is our family required visas and the "person to person" booking even though we are not going to disembark ship at any port during the duration? Thanks

I'm assuming you're referring to the Armonia cruise from Miami.  If so, then you do not need a visa if you intend to stay on the ship.  However, blank visas will be delivered to your cabin.  You must return them unblemished to Customer Services - DO NOT fill them in or you will be charged for them.  I've posted a photo of both the visas and the letter that accompanies them outlining all this here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2618986-just-off-the-armonia-cubachristmas/?page=8&tab=comments#comment-56666303

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for replies. Good in knowing we aren't required to purchase the visas for staying on board. And was unaware that Cuba cruises require for all passengers to have a US passport at time of embarkation. Me and the wife have our passports and use these for our forms of ID for embarkation but would have planned on using just birth certificates for the kids. Cruise isn't until September so fortunately still have time on our side.

For what it's worth, you're not alone in staying onboard for Cuba. We plan on doing the same thing. Our entire 7 day cruise for 4 was a little over $1200. We have just passport cards and for the upgrade to the passport books, visas, and excursions, it would be more than half the price of our cruise for one day in Cuba. 

7 hours ago, Reds4life said:

For what it's worth, you're not alone in staying onboard for Cuba. We plan on doing the same thing. Our entire 7 day cruise for 4 was a little over $1200. We have just passport cards and for the upgrade to the passport books, visas, and excursions, it would be more than half the price of our cruise for one day in Cuba. 

I have a feeling that passports cards are not going to be enough for a cruise that visits Cuba.  I believe that a cruise to Cuba requires a full passport, even if you do not plan to get off the ship. 

Further research reveals that your will need a full passport book to board your ship to Cuba.  This is clearly stated by both Royal Caribbean and Carnival in their FAQ sections, so it will be the same for all cruise lines visiting Cuba.  Whether you plan to go ashore or not, you are still in Cuba.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-documents-are-required-to-cruise-to-cuba

https://www.carnival.com/awaywego/cruising-fun/how-to-plan/everything-you-need-to-know-before-cruising-to-cuba

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-travel-documents

EM

Edited by Essiesmom

To add to my post above, here is what it says on the MSC website:

•  
  • What documents are required to cruise to Cuba?

All guests who are not Cuban-born citizens will need the following documents:  

• PASSPORT BOOK – All passengers must have their passport book and it must be valid at least 6 months after your cruise date (your passport card will NOT be accepted)
    • CUBAN VISA (a.k.a. Tarjeta del Turista) - This Visa will be available for purchase to all guests onboard during your cruise for $75 per person
    • AFFIDAVIT - All guests must have their U.S. government affidavit document completed prior to embarkation and give to the agent at check-in (please retain a copy for yourself and keep for 5 years) 
    • VALID U.S. VISA - documentation to enter the United States (when applicable, if guest is from another country outside of the USA)

*Guests may not travel to Cuba with a driver's license and/or birth certificate (including children). 
  •  

I just wanted to put in a quick update on this topic and hopefully get some information out there to those that are booked or potentially are booking Armonia. After talking to 3 MSC reps in 4 days for over 2 hours total, I was told by all of them that all US passengers must have a passport book AND Visa plus the shore excursion with the People to People program.  I know that this is not correct as far as the Visa and tours according to many that have posted to the contrary. But, the reps all told me that the ship "MIGHT" allow you a refund if you don't use the Visa but the official memo for agents to pass along to guests is that they MUST have one regardless if they get off the ship or not. FWIW, I booked this cruise back in March of '18 and at the time two different MSC reps told me that I could remain on board with just my passport card and that passport books and Visas were only for guests entering Cuba. They also told other family members  and in-laws that booked this cruise the same thing. All in all, looks like it might be better to be safe than sorry or just book a non-Cuba sailing on Seaside. I am just glad I found this out prior to the cancellation deadline.