Seeking Rome Hotel, Car Service Options Pre-Cruise

alj1208

Hello,

We are a family of three (2 adults, 1 child - Age 12) cruising out of Rome this summer. We are flying in two nights early so we can tour Rome. The cruise line has us in a hotel that looks like it's outside the center (Crowne Plaza St. Peter's), and the quotes are overpriced for what we are getting. Can we do better on our own? We are thinking we'd like a car private transfer, airport to hotel, and hotel to cruise port as well. Any recommendations are welcome. We are not budget travelers per se, but we like to make sure we are getting our money's worth, and it looks like we could get a nicer and better located hotel for what the cruise line is charging!

The cruise line add-ons are expensive (overpriced) and generally they pick hotels that are large and outside the city center. You can definitely do better on your own, even with adding on your own transfers.

The most central area of historic Rome is basically from Trevi Fountain to Piazza Navona, with the Pantheon as "ground zero" so to speak. There are many hotels in this area at many different price points, but looking for a triple (I assume) would limit your choices a bit. One hotel I like and have stayed in that offers triple rooms is Albergo Santa Chiara. They are located right behind the Pantheon and most room rates include a nice breakfast.

A transfer from the airport to your hotel should cost about 50 euro. Taxis have a fixed rate of 48 euro. Private cars may run a bit more. 

For the transfer to the port, you can go with a less expensive shared shuttle, such as romashuttle.com (which I can recommend), or one of the pricier 'private' transfers where you will not share a vehicle.  It's also possible that you could get together with folks on your roll call and book transportation for 8 or so people to bring the cost per person down.

I think you'll have a better experience in Rome by doing this. The hotel you list is not well located for getting out and about on your own. The area I mention is great all day and all evening -- plenty of charming restaurants, lots of people out strolling at night.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

Cruisemom,

Thank you so much for the tips! I booked the Albergo Santa Chiara. We got a large room that can fit 4 people, even though we are just 3. I was wondering if you can tell me a little bit more about the hotel. The booking website says it's 3 stars. We usually go 4 stars or higher, but I have also stayed in 3 stars in Europe that are great. Just looking for a little more detail. We like a little charm, very clean and up-to-date rooms, comfy beds, and a nice place to eat. Also, how's the AC? DH hates the heat, and we're going in late July.

The star system in Italy has more to do with what extra amenities are offered and less with the 'quality' of the hotel itself. My absolute favorite hotel in Rome is the Albergo del Senato (close to the Albergo Santa Chiara), which is a VERY nice hotel but still is considered a three-star property. I've stayed at del Senato when in Rome for years, but the prices are getting a bit much for me after they've gone through two significant renovations!!

The Santa Chiara is what I consider a very nice Italian-style hotel. It is in an old building of course (most buildings in the Centro Storico are centuries old), but the rooms and bathrooms have all been nicely updated within the last 2-3 years. The style is traditional, not modern. You can Google the hotel name and look at photos of the rooms but be aware that some of them are from before the recent "refresh".

The lobby area is spacious with lots of seating. However, don't expect a really spacious room -- as with most European hotels, they tend to be on the small side.  It was early Spring when I stayed there, so I'm afraid I can't comment particularly on the air-conditioning, but there was no exterior noise that I could hear from my room even though it faced onto the street (with the windows closed). I also particularly remember the towels were nice and fluffy!

Most Italian hotels include a breakfast, the one here is more substantial than most, and you can ask for a cappuccino at no extra cost.

The one 'unknown' to me is what the triple rooms look like -- sometimes triples or quads are a bit different (e.g., in some hotels they are in an annex building).  You could perhaps ask them for a photo of the room (or similar) that you've booked, to be sure it will meet your needs.

It sounds like a great place, Cruisemom -- and an excellent value. I appreciate the details regarding what 3 stars means in Italy. I am sure we will be happy! We hope to be out in Rome exploring, so it's not worthwhile for extra amenities we would not sure.