Great Beach Day at Karakter On Simpson Bay

LD Silver

After much research we decided to visit the Karakter Beach Bar and Restaurant on Simpson Bay Beach (pronounced care-actor). We were not disappointed. Not only was the beach nice but the food, drinks and service were outstanding. Beach chairs and umbrella are no charge so long as you are buying food and/or drinks. We had 8 beers and an order of nachos and our bill was $31 excluding tip.  The euro is the official currency of St. Maarten, but they accept US dollars at par value (1 euro = 1 dollar) so it is a great deal if you have US$.

It is located right next to the runway of the airport. The planes do not take off and land over your head but rather to your side. The views are magnificent without the chance of death. They were more than happy to call us a taxi for the return trip to the port.

Can't wait to go back.

Edited by LD Silver

Were you impacted by the constant sound of the planes?  Unlike so many, Maho holds no attraction to me (no offense meant). I want to enjoy the sounds of the beach, not jet engines. Thank you for posting this. I was not aware of this beach

The planes only take off and land every so often so it’s not terrible. Karakter is one of our favorite places to go to - whether we cruise or do a land vacation to SXM. Always good service and lots of fun!

We do miss the days before people knew about it and it was still a school bus with bar stools.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had forgotten  being here years ago - we were in SXM for a week with family members. We had a couple of rental cars and did not stay long, so we really didn’t experience the impact of the planes over much more than a short time. Thank you for clarifying - I will be sure to share this opportunity with others we are traveling with. UTube is a helpful tool to see how it works for a group.

As MandiesPharm indicated plane noise is not an issue.  We were there for about 4 hours and only 5 planes took off during that time and 3 of them were single engine planes. 

The landings do not create any noise as Karakter is at the end of the runway and the planes are just taxiing slowly at that point.

13 hours ago, MandiesPharm said:

The planes only take off and land every so often so it’s not terrible. Karakter is one of our favorite places to go to - whether we cruise or do a land vacation to SXM. Always good service and lots of fun!

We do miss the days before people knew about it and it was still a school bus with bar stools.....

We are planning to take a land vacation to SXM next year.  Any places you could recommend near Karakter?

Thanks! 

Thank you for your further information on the impact of noise - or lack there of. 

So is the beach and snorkeling stunning, food good?  Is this the main attraction rather than the planes?   Everyone seems to mention the planes first about this beach. Thank you

We are planning to take a land vacation to SXM next year.  Any places you could recommend near Karakter?

Thanks! 

My husband and I just booked an Airbnb next to Turquoise Shell Inn on the beach side of Simpson bay for this summer. In the past we’ve always stayed at TSI but it has changed owners and we’ve been unsuccessful in making our schedules work out with theirs. Either was this is about a 10 minute walk on the beach towards the yacht club bridge.

We usually eat at all of the normal places in Simpson Bay - greenhouse, pineapple Pete’s, the yacht club, Hilmas (back in the day...) and our favorite by far is The Palms. We’ve walked by Mary’s Boon a million times although we’ve never stopped there - but we’ve heard it’s gotten much better post Irma.

Anything specific you are looking for? I can answer more!