Arriving at Southampton for embarkation

smithmmark

• 2 weeks later...

I've used National Express Bus, worked out fine.  I was staying over a night or two in Southampton, then take a cab from the bus station.  There are cabs going by the station frequently.  I will be using them again in Oct. for a cruise I'm doing.  Some people have recommended Smith's car service, I haven't used them.

We have used National Express also.  On one occasion, after a few days in London, we took it from London's Victoria Coach Station which is adjacent to Victoria Station.   On another occasion, we took it from the Central Bus Terminal at Heathrow.  Their website has more information.   It is very inexpensive.   The coaches are comfortable and it was, for us, a pleasant 2 1/2 hour ride.  If you go direct from Heathrow, timing is important.  We allowed 3 hours from the time we landed until the coach left.   This gave us time for immigration and luggage collection.  We went on one occasion direct to the ship from the Southampton coach terminal and, on another to a hotel for an overnight.  I am sure others will have their preference.  The good news is there are many ways to get to Southampton from London.

We have used National Express and also highly recommend it.  Prepurchased tickets are very inexpensive, buses are comfortable and you do not need to lug baggage up and down like on train.  Short taxi trip to dock once in Southampton 

From London Heathrow , coach (bus) service of www.national express.com is cheap, reliable, comfortable and simple. You are strongly advised to pre-book, Tripmaven's booking for 3 hours after touchdown was perhaps a little pessimistic, 2 hours should be comfortable - but (for journeys from airports only)  if you're early or late you can switch to an earlier or later bus than the one that you booked. You need to know your Heathrow terminal - for terms 2 and 3 you book from Heathrow central bus station, a 10 to 15 min walk, or from term 4 and term 5 the bus picks up on the concourse outside both of those terminals.

Your destination is Southampton coach station, a £5 to £10 taxi ride from any cruise terminal. Journey time 2hrs 15 mins

Its possible to travel by train but there's no direct route, you go into central London's Paddington station and cross central London to Waterloo station, or you take. RailAir bus link to either Woking or Reading for a direct train to Southampton central. Expensive and complicated, but frequent and no requirement to pre-book so a good Plan B if your other arrangements fall apart.

A pre-booked private transfer e.g. Www.smithsforairports.com or www.westuaycars.com or www.aquacars.co.uk should cost somewhere south of £100. Journey time about 90 mins.

Most ships offer coach transfers on sailing day. Anywhere from 60USD to 100USD

Similar for travel from London Gatwick airport, but add about 10% to cost and times. From Gatwick there's also a good direct hourly train service.

JB :classic_smile: