Galveston---Help, how do I get to Hotel Galvez from the Airport??

JenandBuddy

My dh and 2 kids are flying in two days prior to Elation cruise in August and need transportation to the hotel??? How much would a taxi be??? Any other options??? Carnival only offers transports from Airport to terminal!! What to do?

Jen

Elation 8/22/04

Destiny 12/03

Victory 11/02

Destiny 11/01

US Lines Patriot(Hawaii)2/01

Sensation 11/99

Sovereign of the Seas 5/95

You might want to look into renting a car at the airport and dropping it off in Galveston the morning of the cruise. Enterprise rental car has a deal where they allow you to do that and don't charge for Sunday even though the office is not open on Sunday in Galveston. They have a drop box for the keys and then you just grab a taxi from the rental car place to the pier. If you call 800 number for Enterprise they no nothing about this so you need to call the galveston location directly. Depending on which airport you are flying into it could be cheaper then a cab or limo to the hotel plus you have a car to explore for the 2 days. We are flying out tommorow morning for our Elation cruise Sunday and are renting the car so we can go to Johnson Space Center and also check out Houston.

The least expensive transportation other then renting a car seems to be Galveston Limousine

http://www.galvestonlimousineservice.com/

From Bush they are $35 each one way and from Hobby $30.

Just thought of one more thing (what we are doing actually). You might also want to look into just renting a car for the whole week and do your own tranfers to and from the airport. With a family of 4 that may be cheaper. There are also many hotels that offer free cruise parking and shuttle service to/from the pier with a 1 night stay pre-cruise.

Jim...

Adventure of the Seas - Thanksgiving Cruise 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;11;21;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Carnival Elation - Easter Cruise 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;4;11;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

RCI Explorer of the Seas - Feb 2003

Carnival Inspiration - Feb 2002

NCL Seaward (AKA Norwegian Sea) - June 1992

USS Dale (CG-19) - 1990

USS Coontz (DDG-40) - 1988

I just noticed you are staying at the Hotel Galvez (we are also staying there) and they are one of the ones that offer free parking for the cruise. I don't know if their shuttle is free but can let you know after we return on the 18th icon_cool.gif

Jim...

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;11;21;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;4;11;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

USS Dale (CG-19) - 1990

Thanks Jim,

This is great! The other rental we checked (through Carnival)didn't have a drop in Galveston and you had to drive it back to the airport! That defeated the whole purpose icon_confused.gif But I will check Enterprise and can't wait to hear your comments. Find me......we weren't sure about the prestay at Galvez so I can't wait to hear how your trip was. Have a great time!!

Jen

Elation 8/22/04

Destiny 12/03

Victory 11/02

Destiny 11/01

Sensation 11/99

You will love The Hotel Galvez. Yes, you can keep your car there at no charge. Their shuttle is free, to and from, and very prompt upon return from the cruise. You just call them when you get in. I did tip the driver.

Marie

HAL - MAASDAM - June 2004/Canada/New England

RCI - Mariner of the Seas,

Sept 2004(CC Group Cruise)

Carnival Miracle -February 2005

RCI Majesty of the Seas - Spring Break, March 2005

Celebrity Mercury, April 2005

icon_confused.gif

Which airport in Houston are you flying into?...that also has a factor as to how you get from A to B.

June

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;06;13;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Until We Leave on the Conquest, AGAIN !!

Conquest 2003

Pride 2002

Inspiration 2001

We are flying into Houston Hobby and I can't decide whether to switch my reservation to the Hilton or stay with Galvez. We want to just hang at a great pool prior to the cruise and go out in the evening. No touring for us!!

Jen

Elation 8/22/04

Destiny 12/03

Victory 11/02

Destiny 11/01

Sensation 11/99

Jen, there is a shuttle van service from Hobby to Galveston. They have a desk in the baggage claim. They will take you straight to the Galvez, which is a wonderful, historic hotel.

Here is their link. Hope it works.

http://www.galvestonlimousineservice.com/

Galveston Limo

Carnival Carnivale -1988

Carnival Celebration - 2001

Carnival Celebration -June 2004

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jen'nBuddy:

Jim,

you should be back today. Can't wait to hear your review. Hope you had a great time!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, got home at 12:30am this morning icon_frown.gif

I have not had a chance to write a review yet but I will soon.

As far as the hotel goes it is beatiful. The pool area is great with a huge pool, 2 hot tubs and a swim up bar. The rooms were small (really small) but that is to be expected from a historic hotel. The shuttle to and from the cruise terminal was free as was the parking. The hotel gives you a code for there parking lot gates and you just park your car wherever in one of the lots for the duration of the cruise. The only downside was fighting the crowds after debarking to get to the shuttle (but everyone going to any of the hotels had the same problem) but that was only about 30 minutes of stress for the whole week. A quick tip: When you check into the hotle go to the valet right away and reserve your shuttle to the cruise terminal. They seem to fill up fast. We got on the first shuttle at 11am and were on the ship by about 12:30 or so.

If I forgot anything just ask and hopefully I can answer while it is still fresh in my mind icon_wink.gif

Jim...

USS Dale (CG-19) - 1990

Archived