Table for five. We have to wait? Really?

3 hours ago, LuckyStar said:

I hope you have cruised before because you are going to meet a lot of strangers and its going to be for a long cruise if you have decided you don't like strangers.  I, for one, love meeting new people.  I could strike up a conversation with a rock or so my hubby says. No reason to stress yet.  Our DR had plenty of large round tables that would accommodate five people. I can't imagine that this would be a problem at all.  

I'm guessing from this post that you haven't read the whole thread (or at least the OP's follow-up posts).  You're probably going to feel pretty sheepish when you do.

I've emailed our Maitre De and requested a table for just the 4 of us well in advance. I've always received what I asked for. They do not email back, I go to the dining room on the first day (table number is on your sign & sail card) and check. If it's too close to sailing then you'll have to wait and see, or switch to any time dining instead of early/late.

When we traveled as a family of 5, we were seated at a table for 8 if memory serves me correctly.  Only 2 nights did the other diners even come to dinner.  The rest of the cruise it was just us 5.  We've only met with the maitre d once to change our dining & there was no line.  We just went to his station as soon as he was supposed to be available.  It only took a few minutes & it was effective the first night.  However, that was a time when it was just the 2 of us, so it may have been easier to accommodate us.  Anyway, my main point was that if you can't get anything set ahead of time, you may not have a long wait to talk to the maitre d on board.

2 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

I'm guessing from this post that you haven't read the whole thread (or at least the OP's follow-up posts).  You're probably going to feel pretty sheepish when you do.

I guess sheepish is a nice way of putting it.ill have to ask the sheep on my farm if that is politically correct though.i personally would have used the southern term dum ace.

8 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I hope that the maitre'd can accommodate your request but I do wonder if the responses might have been a tad more sympathetic if you had led with the medical issue in the first post instead of with "I don't like strangers and they don't like me". I have a feeling that might have influenced the tone of the replies. 

Glad you said it. Funny how the person who says people lack empathy and warmth made mention that they don't like strangers. What they really mean is "the world should revolve around me".