Steak house comparison - CCL vs RCI

kasil

Anyone able to compare the steak house and Italian restaurants on Carnival Vista and Symphony of the Seas?

Food is subjective, but the food in the MDR has always been fine for us. Everything has been good, a few things have been great and we never leave hungry. On our cruise on Vista, my husband and I were celebrating our 25th anniversary and our 50th birthdays, so we splurged and went to the steak house and the Italian specialty restaurants. We were not overly impressed with either. The steak was good but not great, and the rest of the meal was too "gourmet" for our tastes. For instance, the salad was a few whole vegetables, cut in half, arranged on a plate. Everything had to be cut up before you could fit into your mouth. I don't even remember what we had for appetizers or dessert. Not at all what I had anticipated. The Italian food was also good, but we didn't think it was worth the extra expense.

The first night of our Symphony cruise is my husband's birthday. I'm considering purchasing the BOGO deal on Symphony since it is the same price as one night at Chops, but I have never been to a specialty restaurant on Royal. After our experience on Vista, I'm a little leery about spending the extra money.

Thanks for the help.

Chops on Symphony was pretty good but not great, I think Jamie's was a better meal than Chops.  150 CP on Symphony was very good.  You can get the tenderloin for 2 or just a big serving for 1.  Choose 1 or 5 appetizers at either place and you will be happy.  The BOGO is a great deal, you should have no problem going to Wonderland on the BOGO later in the week. Keep checking the cruise planner for FNDR if you don't want the BOGO. A lot of the appeal of specialty dinning is to just get out of the MDR.  Look for the half price cocktails in Wonderland bar in the evenings. If you have never been on a Oasis class a good tip is to skip Windjammer embarkation lunch and go to Central Park Cafe or hit the Bistro. No charge breakfast at Johnny Rockets before 10:30. If you do get the a specialty restaurant make sure to go and make your reservations as soon as you board, Even though you pick your day and time in the cruise planner they have pretty much done away with making your first night reservation. Be sure to book all your shows as soon as reservations open up, about 60 days before sailing.    happy cruising 

On 2/10/2019 at 7:37 PM, kasil said:

Anyone able to compare the steak house and Italian restaurants on Carnival Vista and Symphony of the Seas?

Food is subjective, but the food in the MDR has always been fine for us. Everything has been good, a few things have been great and we never leave hungry. On our cruise on Vista, my husband and I were celebrating our 25th anniversary and our 50th birthdays, so we splurged and went to the steak house and the Italian specialty restaurants. We were not overly impressed with either. The steak was good but not great, and the rest of the meal was too "gourmet" for our tastes. For instance, the salad was a few whole vegetables, cut in half, arranged on a plate. Everything had to be cut up before you could fit into your mouth. I don't even remember what we had for appetizers or dessert. Not at all what I had anticipated. The Italian food was also good, but we didn't think it was worth the extra expense.

The first night of our Symphony cruise is my husband's birthday. I'm considering purchasing the BOGO deal on Symphony since it is the same price as one night at Chops, but I have never been to a specialty restaurant on Royal. After our experience on Vista, I'm a little leery about spending the extra money.

Thanks for the help.

Out of all of our cruises we've done Chops on RCL and the steakhouses on CCL and LOVED each ! Never had either a bad meal or bad service on any ship. The steaks AND service were excellent ! I'm assuming the price is still in the $35-40 range for RCL (as it was for CCL last Xmas) and it's well worth every penny ! My wife raves about it being the BEST food for the price and I agree completely.