Opinion on driving 16 hours for a 4 night cruise...

paminohio

Personally, if it's farther than 4 hours, I would fly, but that's just me. I hate driving and I hate being the passenger. Doesn't Carnival offer a cruise out of New York? We live in Michigan and it only took us 5 hours to drive to Buffalo. Does ATA fly out of Ohio? They're always good for a really good rate. P.S. We're moving to Columbus this summer.

Jubilee 1988

American Family 1994

Imagination 1997

Sensation 1998

Elation 6/2001

Inspiration 2/2002

Triumph 4/2004

icon_smile.gif Go for it! We drive from Kansas to Galveston, about the same driving time. It really isn't that bad. How often do you get to do things like this?! It'll be great! Good Luck!

~gina~ icon_smile.gif

11/20 Ecstasy cruise countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;11;20;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Well, it sounds like you know what you're getting yourself into as far as the drive goes and you have some good options. I say GO FOR IT!

I just wanted to comment that on the cruises with less kids, there are usually still plenty. My kids tend to have a better time when the ship has less kids. It's easier for them to make friends, the play areas are less crowded, and for the young ones it is easier to make a connection with the counselors. Sometimes the summer and holiday sailings that have tons of kids are overwhelming even to the kids!

You CAN do this on a budget and still have a blast.

Chris in NH

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;8;14;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until our GLORY Cruise!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=a0522d&cdt=2004;11;21;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until we are BACK on the Radiance!

Sovereign of the Seas 2/04, Radiance of the Seas (Alaska) 8/03, Disney Wonder 2/03, Disney Magic 8/02, Disney Wonder 4/02, Disney Magic 7/01, Carnival Ecstasy 5/99, Carnival Sensation 12/96, Premier Majestic 12/95, Premier Atlantic 4/94, Premier Majestic 11/93, Premier Majestic 12/90

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by august1963: Doesn't Carnival offer a cruise out of New York? We live in Michigan and it only took us 5 hours to drive to Buffalo.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Buffalo may be in NY, but it is a long way from the Altantic. I did the drive from Pam's area to NYC recently, and it was quite a bit longer. Plus, I only went to Trenton, then took Amtrak into the actual city. I don't know where the Carnival dock is in NYC, but chances are the traffic hassels, outrageous parking fees, and extra cost of pre/post hotels in the Metro area would far outweigh any cruise savings for her and her family.

Brian

Destiny 10/26/03

The reason I don't want to sail out of NY is because I want it to be WARM from the time we board until we get off! Plus, the sailings from NY/NJ/MD/MA are more expensive...I would pay the same as if I flew to FL. We normally take a huge vaca every year (which I research to death like my May cruise and the hopefully upcoming October one) and generally spend 3,000ish. This year we're NOT going on a vaca (we're building a deck, pool, etc.) so that is why I'm trying to find something under 1500.00 that will still be enjoyable. We can drop 500.00 doing a day an an amusement park since there are 5 of us and my husband is very generous and the kids get souveniors, food all day long, etc., so I figured a 5 day cruise would be so much more worth the money!

YOu all have me convinced that the drive would be worth it. As I said, we're very good car (van) travellers so that is not an issue. I did see that thread re: the ships to NOT sail on...but I think my kids would still have a blast. I have probably decided on Jax since my aunt is there and can take us to the pier and it's also the shortest drive.

As far as using a TA...I live for the research!! I did a ton of research before booking my May cruise and then found a TA that would give me the best price. I have been corresponding with her, however, re: question I have for the upcoming October cruise and she has been very helpful. However, I always have to find an active forum and ask a million questions until I'm satisfied I've made the right decision!

So thanks so much for taking the time to help me out!!

Pam

until Voyager

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;5;16;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tef43:

Not many kids aboard October sailings, even on Carnival, since they are all supposed to be in school. There's some, but not a high number. Camp Carnival would be running activities programs, so it's not like they would be left with nothing to do.

The Fantasy-class ships do indeed have pool slides, but not as extravagant as, say, the Triumph. The Paradise's slide was a simple right turn into the pool.

Fourteen hours is not an onerous drive for a four-day cruise. But that statement comes from someone who would jump in the car and drive eleven hours to attend the Bristol night race.

_Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas_

http://www.curlingzone.com/forums/images/imgcommentary_hackstone.jpg

http://sympatico.animfactory.com/animations/music/misc/bagpiper_piping_md_wht.gif

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:

Shhhh, it's a surprise!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm another huge Bristol fan. I live in Mississippi and have never taken the opportunity to go to this race. How far in advance do you have to attempt to get tickets for either the day or night race? How far in advance do you need to make reservations for hotel rooms in advance for this race?

I believe that Bristol is the best driver's race on the circuit. Not necessarily just about who has the most money to pour in their cars. "IF you're not bumping and grinding, you're not racing".

I think you've made the right decision on the shortest drive and NO parking fees! icon_smile.gif

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

Pam, my wife and I are going to drive tonight from Sterling Heights Mi, to Cocoa Beach...We are luckily driving with my sis-in-law and her boyfriend so we can switch drivers. Anyways, we are leaving today, staying in cocoa beach tomorrow night, then driving up to port canaveral sunday to dock on the fantasy....Then when we return thursday, we are going to drive up to Daytona and stay for a night, then drive home friday evening so we can be back by saturday evening...I didn't want to fly due to spring break prices beig outrageous...withthe money we save flying, we get to stay at cocoa beach and daytona...

Good to hear that I am not crazy thinking it's worth it to drive 16 hours for a 5 day vacation! We always vacation for over a week, so, of course, the drive is worth it then. I just wasn't sure if only staying in FL 5 days would be crazy after driving 16 hours.

Pam

until Voyager

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;5;16;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Have you thought about a VCR/DVD for the car ride down? Maybe you could borrow one from a friend. They're a lifesaver with kids in the car.

Jubilee 1988

American Family 1994

Imagination 1997

Sensation 1998

Elation 6/2001

Inspiration 2/2002

Triumph 4/2004

Hi Pam (from another Pam icon_smile.gif )

We took our 4 kids on a 4 day cruise from Pt. Canaveral (on RCCL), and drove from Chicago. As long as you're taking them out of school for this (no personal comment)... why not take a couple extra days and go to Disney or Universal for a day or two, before you go home. It will help you all unwind before you drive home. Exhausting, yes, but a change of pace from the cruise.

Pam : )

Emerald Seas 6/20/83

Nordic Empress 6/93

Imagination 3/30/00

Ecstasy 9/4/00

Majesty of the Seas 10/27/00

Triumph 12/16/00

Radiance of the Seas

3/26/01 & 3/29/01

Crown Odyssey 6/24/01

Golden Princess 10/11/01

Spirit 11/11/01

Sensation GGC 1/13/02

Sovereign of the Seas 3/24/02

Imagination 5/18/02

Pride 11/2/02

Explorer of the Seas 3/29/03

Enchantment of the Seas 9/1/03

Serenade of the Seas 10/28/03

Grand Princess 11/16/03

check out my pics at http://community.webshots.com/user/lunyma

Pam,

We did the drive from Hudson to Miami in November of last year with 4 kids. The difficult part was the ride home! You'll have to make sure that you go to bed early the night before disembarkation, as you'll have a long ride to look forward to. There's a lot to gain from these boards in terms of money saving things.

We got subway for the ride down and those little cans of coke that they sell at Walmart. I am sure as long as your family is used to the drive you will do fine.

We had two inside cabins near the front of the ship which were very small, the 3rd bed was a rollaway.

Don't forget that they will offer you room credits if you book while on board(May) This might help a little bit with the expenses...Have you checked out the USA3000 airlines that is advertised in the Sunday Plain Dealer? A friend of mine just went to Sarasota for $59.00 one way.Don't know if this will help...but you know the price of gas these days.

I say if you can do it, then go for it.

Jean

Ocean Beeze 10/01

NCL Sun 02/02

RCCL Majesty of the Seas 07/02

Sea Princess 02/03

NCL Sea 03/03

RCCL Serenade of the Seas Transatlantic 08/03

Carnival Victory 11/03

RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas....MARDI GRAS!!!!!!

RCCL Jewel of the Seas Transatlantic 09/04

Carnival Destiny 06/13/04

Sapphire Princess Orient/Asia 03/05

We just had a great price on the NCL Dawn out of NY. We went 3/21. They have good kids programs. Check out their bus options, maybe they will do the drive for ya. Good luck

Time till the Carnival Miracle...Weber boarding party: Partae Pirates

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2005;2;13;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

NCL Dawn: 3/21/04

We're ok with the actual drive itself...I was just wondering because we won't be spending as much time on the ship as we do in FL when we drive. We just spent 8 nights in FL in August (7 at Disney) and drove straight through (16 hrs) on the way home so we know it's very do-able. The kids have their gameboys and a tv/vcr so they do travel very well. I've checked bus prices and they are not only NOT cheap, it takes a whole lot longer to get there so that is not an option. Or, we may do the drive down in two days and just drive straight through the way home. We've done it many times before.

I think I do want to do 5 nights, though, instead of 4...The ship from Pt. Canavarel only is 4 nights so I'll probably pick Jax because my aunt lives there. Unless the cruise out of AL or LA is cheaper and the parking wouldn't matter.

My husband and I leave in May for our first ever cruise...once I get back, I'll be ready to book the October one.

Pam

until Voyager

not to knoock the holiday it is a great ship but i think your kids would have a much better time on the celebration or the fantasy.. the drive is definetly worh it and I would do a 5 day over 4 if i could afford it!! the money you save in staying at a relatives would prob help!! Have fun and enjoy!

A lot of schools have fall break in October. Ours begins Oct. 16 and know of many people with kids who will be filling up these ships. This would definately be cheaper than going Thanksgiving week.

My wife and I are driving from NJ to Port Canaveral in May. Not a big deal actually, we plan on taking it slow, and stopping to sleep the first night. All in all we chose to drive sloely on the time alotted us. Good luck.

Mike

I just returned from the Imagination 4-day this morning. Everyone getting off looked like they were going to a funeral. icon_frown.gif I think every person there would have gladly driven 16 hours to do it again. I only had to go from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale, but I would drive to Ohio if I had to. icon_biggrin.gif

JV

We live in Northern Kentucky and have made three cruises from Ft. Lauderdale and Miami by driving. Like you, I find the airfare is too steep for a family of more than two! We drove down and back from Miami just last week for under $800....that included hotels, food, gas, and parking at the pier. I checked relentlessly for good airfares but nothing could come close to flying three of us for $800.00.

The Big Red Boat Oct.1991

Carnival Ecstasy Apr. 1998

RCL Sovereign of the Seas 2000

Carnival Imagination Apr. 2004

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;4;3;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

TILL IMAGINATION, APRIL 3, 2004!!!!!

To the OP, yes, the Celebration has a slide at one of the pools. I think your kids will have a fine time. Though it's plenty big, it's small enough that the kids won't have any trouble getting around.

Carnival Carnivale -1988

Carnival Celebration - 2001

Carnival Celebration -June 2004

Thanks to all who answered!! I think, that will the tons of 4 and 5 night cruises out of Jax, Port Canaveral, AL, and LA during October and November, I'm going to wait and book something within a few weeks of sailing. I'm thinking I'll be able to get a pretty good deal, seeing as I am pretty flexible on days. I was going to book the Fantasy but am not afraid of something better coming up after final payment and then wishing I had waited. I just think that with ALL those sailings from which to choose, chances of a good deal are pretty high. It's nice to know, though, that there are lots of good things being said about all the older Carnival ships. Even the Holiday has had some good reviews!!! And, since this cruise is for my kids, as long as it has a good pool and they can snack all day long, they will love it!!

Pam

until Voyager

Archived